Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Should I buy Lightroom only?

Hi, I decided not to go with Aperture 3, I am going to buy Lightroom after trying it today because it is a dream. My question is as follows, do you think I should purchase Photoshop as well? Once I have purchased the product (I will get a student edition and discount) can I install it on all my macs? Thanks Pentaxians.

Last edited by Student; 02-18-2011 at 09:03 PM.
02-18-2011, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I would only buy photoshop if you want to do serious photo editing, I bought it also but usually only use lightroom, but with the student discount photoshop is a lot cheaper and would be better to buy now than wait and decide you need it in the future. Lightroom will allow to to install it on one portable machine and one home machine.
02-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

A lightroom license also works for both Windows and Mac, if you have both. With the educator license you can only purchase one Adobe product a year. I don't know if the student license is the same in that regard, but check the Adobe website to be sure, if you decide you want to purchase both.
02-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kbrede Quote
A lightroom license also works for both Windows and Mac, if you have both. With the educator license you can only purchase one Adobe product a year. I don't know if the student license is the same in that regard, but check the Adobe website to be sure, if you decide you want to purchase both.
I think it is one of each Adobe product. So you could buy Lightroom, Photosop, Acrobat, etc. But only one copy of each.

02-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I bought both photoshop and lightroom under a student license at the same time, so I am assuming that it is one license per product per year.
02-19-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
Hi, I decided not to go with Aperture 3, I am going to buy Lightroom after trying it today because it is a dream. My question is as follows, do you think I should purchase Photoshop as well? Once I have purchased the product (I will get a student edition and discount) can I install it on all my macs? Thanks Pentaxians.
You might consider Adobe Elements 9. It is very affordable (I paid $70), does much of what Photoshop does, and it links as an external editor to Lightroom. I do most of my work in Lightroom, and use it for all RAW file handling and organization, then only head over to Elements for working with layers, etc. Check out what this user of Lightroom and Elements has to say.
02-20-2011, 12:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can install Adobe products on 2 computers.

I use Lightroom and Photoshop. There are a lot of things you can do with Photoshop that you can't do with Lightroom. However, I used Photoshop for years and added Lightroom later. There's a lot to be said for buying and learning one program at a time. Lightroom is complicated. Photoshop is way more so. If your student discount will last a while, I'd go with Lightroom first, then when you run into its limits, add Photoshop.

More and more I'm doing most of my editing in Lightroom and only using Photoshop when Lightroom proves lacking. That's less than 15 or 20% of the time and decreasing as I get more skilled at Lightroom.

Lightroom has great photo management and cataloging capabilities. Photoshop comes with Adobe Bridge which has adequate ones.

Photoshop has superb editing tools. Lightroom has adequate ones. You can do pro level work with either program.