Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
And here is her answer...

The two brands are known quality pro gear and clients know this.
Depending on what you are shooting, most clients either won't know or care what camera you are using. That doesn't stop people from thinking that though.

02-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Todd, does it make that much difference if they both shoot in raw? At least the K-x can record in DNG, and should be able to be imported into any PP software. Are you saying that making Pentax images look like Nikon images is hard work? Maybe there is a setting to lose the 'Pentax Pop" and get the washed out Nikon look.
Yes, it makes a huge difference.

Not sure what you mean by the "Pentax Pop," but for me, the K-7 files were more like overcontrasted mud and despite the contrast STILL didn't have a true blackpoint. That's PEF, DNG, with embedded profile or with Adobe stock profile. But I know some K-7 shooters who produce brilliant finished work. So it's clear they know some things I don't. I'm not here to criticize any gear, btw. I love my K-5, and my whole Pentax kit. I shoot with it all the time, both for enjoyment and occasionally for my professional work. But bottom line, if I know I HAVE to get the shot, and image quality and field usability are critical, the K-5 is in my backup bag, and the D3 is in my hands.
02-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok then, back to my original response. Ask her exactly HOW MANY shoots she has done for Harpers Baazar and Vogue with her Rebel or whatever it is? This has nothing to do with clients perceptions, it has to do with her lack of knowledge.

Move on, she isn't worth working for and certainly not someone to learn from.
02-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yeah I'm definitely moving on, I think it's a shame though how some can be so close-minded. She didn't even bother looking at any of my work either. Oh well. I'll find another one who won't mind me using Pentax.

02-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #20
Veteran Member

It does no good to argue back and forth with an employer, it was fine to ask a reason why, but let it go now. Water under the bridge.

Just find someone else to 2nd for, not every pro thinks the same was as this one. The best statement you can make is with your own images.

Good luck
02-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry for taking this thread way OT.

Todd, I didn't mean to imply you were knocking the Pentax gear, sorry if I gave that impression.

To my eye, the Nikon pics I see from colleagues look rather 'washed out' compared to what I see from the Pentax files. I guess to other eyes the Pentax images would look over-saturated. Canon images look a little 'plastic' to me, especially skin tones. It's hard to quantify, but that's as good a word as I can come up with.

If I had a D3 I reckon I'd be using it too... You have some great gear.
02-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

wow

And here is her answer...

The two brands are known quality pro gear and clients know this.
I doubt she is really a good photographer, you could just tell her to piss off lol...

She is a joke, you would not want to back her up anyway

02-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Todd, I didn't mean to imply you were knocking the Pentax gear, sorry if I gave that impression.
Hey, no problem at all, I didn't necessarily think you were, I just wanted to clarify. I shoot lots of different gear, and never judge anyone based on what they shoot. And if they're good, and they're experienced, they will get great shots with their gear. And being familiar with a system goes a long way. Part of the reason I will always default to Nikon in times of uncertainty is because I know it inside and out, I know what to expect and how to adjust quickly. So much of it comes down to my own experience before it does to the gear itself. I personally hate Canon cameras. I don't like the way they look, and I hate the ergonomics, both menus and controls. But they're clearly great bodies, I see tons of quality stuff coming from Canon shooters. Just not for me.

At any rate, it's clear that the subject of the original post is someone who doesn't place importance on the right parameters, and I agree, therefore, that she would likely not be a great person to work for, if one was hoping to expand their own knowledge and experience.
02-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I'm letting it go, it's just a shame that a person is being judged by what they own rather than what they produce.

I would love to second shoot with someone, it would be such a fantastic learning experience.
02-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #25
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hear you Nic - as much as you know you wouldn't want to work for such a person, it still makes you feel bad to be superficially judged.

I bet it has nothing to do with gear compatibility or other perhaps more reasonable rationale, but anyway, keep working on your own skills and the right opportunity will come for you at the right time.
02-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #26
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I agree with what was said a few posts back. I bet it has something to do with the post processing work to be done afterwards. Or maybe she wants the card that you shot with and I believe some canikons use CF cards. Aside from that maybe she is envious of the pixie dust we get with our AMAZING lenses?
02-21-2011, 12:56 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I recently applied for a position as a second shooter to a photographer looking for an assistant. I got knocked back because she was looking for Canon or Nikon shooters. Why, why, why isn't Pentax considered good enough for seconds work?
Perhaps if you had a portfolio to show her?

Jason
02-21-2011, 01:18 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I gave her the link to my portfolio in my email, but I doubt she even looked at it as I got the knock back within minutes of applying.

I think as soon as she read I had I had Pentax gear she said no.
02-21-2011, 08:46 AM   #29
Veteran Member

If she had said she only wanted photos taken on CF cards so they could be submitted directly, I could accept that. The "pro gear and clients know it" comment is stupid. Plenty of serious pros use other than Canikon. Try telling Me Ra Koh that her Sonys are not "pro" - or Kerrick James and his Pentaxes. Don Gale (RIP) used Fujifilm S2 and S3 Pro DSLRs. I suspect those folks have had more pix published for big bucks than the "pro" in this thread.

Last edited by abmj; 02-21-2011 at 08:53 AM.
02-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I just received an inquiry from another photographer looking for a part-time job, second shooter gig, etc. She informed me she had a "pro Canon body." I'm half-tempted to reply and tell her that I only consider Pentax and Nikon to be widely recognized as professional gear. LOL

Honestly, I wouldn't really do that, just an evil and misguided thought. My current assistant actually just got a new Canon.