Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Yeah. The Pentax name has been synonymous with crappy. While Canon and Nikon are supposed GODS in the public's eye. Even if you were to carry a Leica, the general public would pick the Canon or Nikon over it. Just brand reputation for you. The funny/stupid thing is a lot of the photographers that I know have purchased Pentax glass and use it in manual mode for shooting instead of the Canon counterpart.

I doubt it would change in the near future unless Pentax does so heavy advertising and competition. I know I've been put into the situation where I had to explain my Pentax purchase over Nikon or Canon.

It's very very sad but nothing that can do done but continue to shoot and never give up hope. If more independent people started to use Pentax then it will get better.

02-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
I just received an inquiry from another photographer looking for a part-time job, second shooter gig, etc. She informed me she had a "pro Canon body." I'm half-tempted to reply and tell her that I only consider Pentax and Nikon to be widely recognized as professional gear. LOL

Honestly, I wouldn't really do that, just an evil and misguided thought. My current assistant actually just got a new Canon.
LOL! I wouldve loved to have seen the email that followed this conversation
02-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
I doubt it would change in the near future unless Pentax does so heavy advertising and competition.
I understand that Pentax is pushed in some (few) markets. When will PenHoya execs decide that North America is a hotbed of potential customers? Until then, must we tape a NIKON logo onto the flash snood? Must we care?

QuoteQuote:
I know I've been put into the situation where I had to explain my Pentax purchase over Nikon or Canon.
That's easy. Just say, "Pentax is better. Look it up." and walk away. If they're trying to sell you something, make it clear that they don't really need your business. If they're ego-tripping, opt-out of their little game. It's easy.
02-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
I gave her the link to my portfolio in my email, but I doubt she even looked at it as I got the knock back within minutes of applying.

I think as soon as she read I had I had Pentax gear she said no.
She was afraid that your pictures would come out better than hers.

02-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #35

I worked as a second shooter for a while before I became a primary and I knew several that would only hire seconds that shot the same camera system as they did because they wanted the same skin tones , color etc that their brand produced to give their wedding package a uniform appearance. If the had Canon gear they would not even talk to a Nikon shooter and vice versa.
I would be more interested in the second's photographic talent and the results they produced.
The answer she gave you is definitely BS
I shot Canon when I did weddings but when I retired from that I sold my Canon stuff and bought a K5 and really like it a lot more
Jim
02-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Pentax is simply not a suitable wedding shooters brand, simple as. The AF is still behind the competition but more importantly the pro support services are non existant. 60-250 f/4 breaks, where do you get another on short notice? Can the pro service (there isn't one!) turn around a request inside a week?

Our gear is just not aimed at market, the flash issues alone require serious tweaking to be workable.

It's great kit for a lot of things but weddings, whilst do-able, is just using the wrong tool for the job.
02-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Pentax is simply not a suitable wedding shooters brand, simple as. The AF is still behind the competition but more importantly the pro support services are non existant. 60-250 f/4 breaks, where do you get another on short notice? Can the pro service (there isn't one!) turn around a request inside a week?

Our gear is just not aimed at market, the flash issues alone require serious tweaking to be workable.

It's great kit for a lot of things but weddings, whilst do-able, is just using the wrong tool for the job.
There are many wedding photographers that shoot Pentax that are proving you wrong everyday.

02-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #38
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
The two brands are known quality pro gear and clients know this.
Oh dear, guess that's me out of a job then.
02-22-2011, 03:54 AM   #39
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While this may be a concern for some, it isn't enough for the Pentaxian wedding shooter to be deterred. I always have two bodies and two flashes with me at all my weddings (which is the bare minimum that most photogs, not just Pentax owners, would have with them anyway), and none of my gear has failed me yet. There are times when AF has missed the mark, particularly with my old *ist D and K10D, but it's been getting better with my current setup and technique.

QuoteQuote:
Not so. Trimpot adjustment, and go. Never a problem with exposure since, whether P-TTL or not.

QuoteQuote:
Couldn't disagree more. If you were talking sports, and in the pre K-7 era, then I'd agree. But there's little in weddings that poses a challenge for any post K-7 Pentax dSLR. Remember, lenses have a lot to do with how the cameras can cope with their low-light performance. With the Tamron duo in hand (28-75 and 70-200), all my cameras, past and present, have done remarkably well in all wedding conditions.
03-07-2011, 03:07 AM   #40

Hi all,

In this part of the world i think i am 1 of a very few people who owns a pentax camera. Ive seen them (Nikon and Canon slinging owners) gazed on my Red Pentax most of the time and am proud (i mean very proud) of my K-X...

In our circle of friends/communities, i was always the odd 1 out with my Pentax... and after such gatherings we usually upload photos in facebook. And one could compare how vibrant and vivid are the colors of my pentax (compared to the others).

Now? every time we meet, they're ready to pose infront of me for some memorable snaps....

How did i get to chose my pentax over Canon and Nikon?
Canon feels like a toy (plasticky, same as Sony) and bulky
Nikon contours couldn't fit well on my hands
And when i held the K-X with all of its functions especially high ISO and vibrant colors? (the rest is history)

I agree that it's not about the equipment its the photographer (not all who knows how to press a shutter is a photographer same as not all who knows how to hold a microphone can sing, its the skill...)

Have nothing against other brand users (especially CaNikon), but the only thing they have over us is a good marketing!!! Why? people who doesn't have any idea about dslr says Canon and Nikon is better.... why? thats all they can see out there...

Pentaxian all the way and thank you for this wonderful forum where i get to learn a lot from other users...
03-07-2011, 04:34 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Well said Yan
03-07-2011, 05:34 AM   #42
Veteran Member

And here is her answer...

The two brands are known quality pro gear and clients know this.
Maybe you should buy a POS plastic Rebel and write her back and say you have switched to Canon and see what she says then...

Ever hear of manual focus? It does work ya know.

As for gear, you could always borrow a friends DA* lens. Most Pentax shooters I know would be happy to lend you one if you were in a pinch (and they were close... a bonus I fortunately have). But if you can't get one, shoot with what you have. If you are shooting weddings you have at least a couple of bodies and 2 lenses.

The flash does leave something to be desired, but it does work.

And as many others have said... some of us shoot weddings (me grudgingly because I just hate them but will shoot for a friend) quite successfully with Pentax gear.

Mike
03-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently applied for a position as a second shooter to a photographer looking for an assistant. I got knocked back because she was looking for Canon or Nikon shooters. Why, why, why isn't Pentax considered good enough for seconds work?
As a second shooter, aside from pure ignorance of the principle shooter, they might, and I say MIGHT really want someone with the same camera system as they have?

But that is probably not the case, they are just stupid, ignorant and closed minded.