Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please forgive me for I almost strayed...

I was very close to switching to Nikon over the last couple of weeks. I was taken in by the silent and quick focusing of the D90 and a recent price drop and rebates. I was planning on getting it last Tuesday and was going to pick it up after work. But that afternoon I got a call about our car and needed repairs so the purchase was put on hold for a while. And in that time I decided to just wait it out and think about it. I decided to not buy any more glass until I decided what to do. And up until yesterday I was still on the fence.

What made me change my mind? I was half way through a mountain bike ride and was in a beautiful spot taking a few photos with my K-x and an old Takumar-K 28mm manual lens when it came to me. I doubt I'd want to take a 900.00 body and an expensive nikon lens to places like this. I can take my 400.00 body & 30.00 lens without a lot of worry. It's durable, inexpensive and takes great photos. I wrap the K-x in a towel and throw it in my backpack and don't worry about it. You can get cheap but serviceable glass on the cheap that you don't have to worry too much about.

Please forgive my transgressions.

02-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All is forgiven.

That was a close one. Almost doomed to wear the Albatross D90 about the neck.
02-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
SPB

Indeed a close one! I do similar with my K7, but not yet in a towel! Given me a good idea, thanks.
02-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

So you prefer Pentax because it's cheap sh!t that you won't cry over too much if it's destroyed? That's your reason? Because it's disposable?

02-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
So you prefer Pentax because it's cheap sh!t that you won't cry over too much if it's destroyed? That's your reason? Because it's disposable?
Boy, who p1zzed in your wheaties! No need to be rude.

No, it isn't disposable and I never called it cheap Sh1t. But I am more likely to take a 400.00 body and a 30.00 lens that is durable and performs well on my trips where they might be damaged rather than a 900.00 body and expensive lens. And if I take it I can use it. At least I have more options. And by having an inexpensive (NOT CHEAP) body that performs as well as an expensive one I can have more money for glass. And then I can choose to use the Manuals on the bike rides without risk and then put on a limited or nicer glass when I need to.
02-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager

I don't see an issue with being more comfortable knocking about a less expensive setup that can do the job just as well...

Good to have you back Vaughn.
Enjoy the ol' Tak.
02-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You don't need my forgiveness for switching brands. I couldn't careless what anyone shoots.

And with the exception of the insecure weirdoes, why should it matter to anyone? If you really want the "the silent and quick focusing of the D90," buy it and be happy.
02-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Actually the D90 is stupid cheap now, cheapest twin e-dial body around, and as old as it is now it still has the best low light APS-C sensor short of a D7000/K-5. I wouldn't blame anyone for picking one up. The only problem with it is it isn't a K-mount. I would like to see a D90 equivalent in the Pentax range, the K-7 (with or without weather sealing) with a 12MP K-x sensor.

02-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Go and sin no more my child.
02-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #10
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Actually the D90 is stupid cheap now, cheapest twin e-dial body around, and as old as it is now it still has the best low light APS-C sensor short of a D7000/K-5. I wouldn't blame anyone for picking one up. The only problem with it is it isn't a K-mount. I would like to see a D90 equivalent in the Pentax range, the K-7 (with or without weather sealing) with a 12MP K-x sensor.
That was my reasoning. I have a Kx but I missed the controls of my K20D so I would get a more 'pro' camera. And I've never owned a new camera, even now. I really liked the autofocus and also the flash performance, and since I only have 3 low end AF lenses it wouldn't be a big deal to make the siwtch. But it's hard to justify paying 900 bucks for a D90 when the K-x matches it in performance and the pentax has so much more flexibility with lenses.
02-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

D90's are < $700
02-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Guess I forgot the smiley. That was supposed to be humorous.