Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #1

Any fans of Bruce Smith?

I know, he is not a Pentax shooter but I love his work, especially his B&W Fashion work, his style remains classic and classy which is rare nowadays. What happened to him by the way? He seems to have ended on the quiet side now and I hear he only gets Lingerie shoots nowadays...

NB: If you don't know who I am talking about this is his website, kind of old fashioned but you can see some of his pictures. Hell he is my favourite fashion photographer.

http://brucesmithphotographer.com/Bruce_Smith_Photographer/FAMILIAR_FACES.html

Last edited by Student; 02-21-2011 at 09:57 PM.
02-22-2011, 01:33 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Why don't you try contacting him via email to see what he has been up to? So far everyone I have ever contacted about an image or series of images has seemed to reply and are very happy to answer questions when they have time. Also why don't you try you hand at his style? I love David Lachapelle's overly vivid/saturated colors. I have been trying to come up with an inspired shoot to see what his process is. Sorry for the run on sentence and thread jacking.
02-22-2011, 04:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hall of Fame defensive end for the Buffalo Bills. Best sack man from the 3-4 DE spot ever. Carried the Bills defense to 3 of the 4 Super Bowls they went to in the '90s...

Oh, you are talking about some other Bruce Smith.
02-22-2011, 05:31 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Hall of Fame defensive end for the Buffalo Bills. Best sack man from the 3-4 DE spot ever. Carried the Bills defense to 3 of the 4 Super Bowls they went to in the '90s...

Oh, you are talking about some other Bruce Smith.
I'm talking about the Fashion Photographer.

02-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
Forum Member

I shot him an email. I wonder if he will reply. Lets hope so I will post the results
02-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tremaine Quote
I shot him an email. I wonder if he will reply. Lets hope so I will post the results
That would be interesting!
02-24-2011, 02:09 AM   #7

Hello guys

:-)

Bruce
02-24-2011, 02:13 AM   #8

Its not so bad shooting lingerie

QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
I know, he is not a Pentax shooter but I love his work, especially his B&W Fashion work, his style remains classic and classy which is rare nowadays. What happened to him by the way? He seems to have ended on the quiet side now and I hear he only gets Lingerie shoots nowadays...

NB: If you don't know who I am talking about this is his website, kind of old fashioned but you can see some of his pictures. Hell he is my favourite fashion photographer.

FAMILIAR FACES Celebrity photographer
Hello Student

I shoot bridal wear and couture designers gowns, swimwear, hosiery and of course lingerie

Really nice to know some one enjoys my work.

Bruce Smith

02-24-2011, 02:15 AM   #9

Email

QuoteOriginally posted by Tremaine Quote
Im not sure I got it

Send again b.s@mac.com

Bruce
02-24-2011, 04:00 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hi Bruce, I really loved the Black and White shots you used to take! And your commercial / fashion work! But I haven't heard anything about you in a few years so I was wondering what you had been up to, a friend of mine said you were only doing lingerie now, is that true? I like the way you always keep this classic feel about all your shots. Today everyone tries to be so artistic that shots become just odd. Yours are full of grace and passion. How did you find this website? You shoot Pentax now?
02-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #11
Forum Member

So I got a answer back from Bruce Smith. Here is what I sent him. I am not a english major so reading through my part may be painful.

Hi there Mr. Smith I was browsing around the Pentaxforums and saw your name mentioned as usual it lead me on a quest to see your work. I apologize for using your portfolio request for anything other than an actual request. I have three questions to ask you. How did you develop your signature style? What made you strive to be where you are now and what are you currently shooting with? I would really love to hear back from you if at all possible. Thank you in advance.

Here is his response

Hi Tremaine

Your style develops because of shooting a lot, its not some thing that can be conceived. I follow my own interests in fashion, my wishes of how, what, were and who I want to shoot. The more passionate you are about the subject your shooting, the more of yourself is seen in the images you produce. In the past I was influenced by masters of the time, styles of the time etc. These reflect in my images even today.

A desperate need to express my idealism re the feminine, the style in life, design, colour and form. I use photography as a communication that when I was younger I didnt have. Photography gave me a means to understand and a license to express.

I shoot Nikon D3 D2h D2x mainly 17 to 55 or 24 to 70 zooms all f2.8 Nikon.

Regards

Bruce