Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always shoot in single shot mode unless I am shooting action, like sports. Then switching to continuous is a useful tool. I try to make images, not just capture what is happening (unless I am shooting something like sports, then this changes).

02-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Regarding the OP: I'm usually on single shot. Sometimes when I think I may need a burst of shots, I switch to continuous shooting and then often just tap the shutter release button to only get a single shot. I don't leave it on continuous all the time despite the possibility of doing single shots with it because trying to avoid multiple shots might cause a bit of a jerky motion. I prefer to not worry about that by using the single shot mode when I definitely don't need a burst of shots.
That's a very valid point. I should probably try to see if using single vs continuous mode makes any difference to the stabilization of the camera.
02-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use single shot mode exclusively. I was taught to take sport photographs with a Pentax KX (not K-X) and earlier, the original screw mount Asahi Pentax. I was taught carefully to know the sport I was shooting (soccer, track and field, softball, baseball, hockey) and anticipate the moment. It takes a bit of time to learn the shutter lag of each camera, after which it is a natural feeling. I hate post processing with a passion, just as much as I hated the dark room. PP is slightly better - it doesn't smell as bad - but in any event I don't want to come back from a hockey game with 1,000 images to sort through. Your mileage may vary.
02-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The idea is that you can keep shooting without ever running into buffer limits.

In the low speed continuous mode you should be able to keep firing until the card is full.
That's a very good answer and one I had not thought of.

However it begs the question, does the low speed continuous speed increase with the increased buffer size that can come with firmware updates?

In my logic it should be more dependant on the memory card speed (less dependant on buffer size the larger the cards you use). So the question should really be, does low speed continuous adjust it's speed to the card you are using?

If it doesn't, well we're back at square one with me not really seeing the point. One card may be too slow and prohibit you from shooting it full while another might cope with much more than the speed at which it shoots.

If it does however! Wow, that would be one smart camera!

PS. Sorry for the off topic stuff, not trying to hijack the thread.

02-24-2011, 12:19 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Single shooting for me.
02-24-2011, 01:49 AM   #21

Single shootings almost exclusively. Except when i expect images to get blurred easily from my shaking, then it's time to get some "statistical support" to getting some more pictures, which hopefully include at least one useable one :-)

Greetings
02-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #22
Forum Member

Lots of great viewpoints and opinions. I wondered this myself.

I have switched back and forth regularly. As i was just starting out I had been using continuous just so I had a better chance at at least one picture being good. But then came the realization that the camera only has a finite # of shutter activations. Shooting 700 pics to get 70 good ones seems like unnecessary wear and tear on the shutter. So Im trying to be more conscious of it and only using continuous if Im shooting moving things.

02-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I hate post processing with a passion, just as much as I hated the dark room. PP is slightly better - it doesn't smell as bad
HMMM- I used to enjoy the darkroom quite a bit and the time flew. However, I can't smell the fixer anymore... what does that mean??? LOL
02-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
HMMM- I used to enjoy the darkroom quite a bit and the time flew. However, I can't smell the fixer anymore... what does that mean??? LOL
I enjoyed the dark room for a little while, but once I had learned to do montages and crazy things like pushing Tri-X to 3200 (in 1962!) it got tedious. I'd rather be taking the images and letting someone else do the processing. That's one of the reasons I really like DxO. I can go drink a beer while it is doing its thing, and all the images are magically corrected for me, rather than by me.

If you cannot smell the fixer any more ... it means you burnt your smeller out!
02-24-2011, 11:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a K200 so continues shooting isn't worth much. 2.5 fps and a buffer of only 4 frames? Yeah, not worth the hassle. Exclusivly a single shooter. I just work on getting my timing right.
02-25-2011, 02:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
staying on continuous (hi) doesn't mean you have to take 3 shots each time you press the shutter. I stay on continuous, but i generally do the pict only one time.

[OFF] i never knew dark room, only "toshop", that's sad ... [/OFF]
02-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I stay on single, unless I just want to hear/see that baby fire off the shots!
Or try to catch a drop of water falling, like I did yesterday.
02-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I use single because to get the least camera shake, you want to slowly push down and hold the shutter (with your breath half exhaled and held).

Of course, even better would be to use continuous and take 2 or more shots, but I found that annoying when reviewing and a waste of space since the K-x's review resolution sucks compared to say the K20D.
02-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Single 90% of the time. Most of the time if I shoot continuous it will be something I set up beforehand, e.g. a golf swing or other sporting event.
02-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Continuous high speed. I can always just take one if I want to.