Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2007, 05:51 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
Oh, and buying Canon is an investment for the future (Sadly I didn't mention that I can use a Takumar on a digital SLR and ask him if he can do the same with a Canon FD lens )
LMAO he should ask Roentarre how well his Canon lenses held there value!

Sadly I have found these Canon fans to be common enough. Of course I don't mind if they prefer Canon (none of us are perfect.. j/k), but if they are going to be obnoxious about it I'll happily shop elsewhere..

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
How many of you have had to stop yourselves from rescueing a customer who's being railroaded into buying some junk? Tough, isn't it?
must admit to failing to stop myself once or twice when grossly inaccurate 'facts' were given in front of me..

Last edited by joele; 10-20-2007 at 06:02 AM.
10-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I strolled into Henry's Camera (Used Dept.) a couple of years back; I was in the mood to buy a new (to me) lens. After a minute or so of gawking I approached a salesman in the back corner. He was surrounded by literally hundreds of used lenses of every make model and length.

"Can I help you?" He asked politely.

"Sure, I'm looking for a wide angle lens. Pentax mount." I replied

At this his expression suddenly changed. "You want junk? I have lots of junk!" He roared at me.

Spittle was flying from his mouth. I was like a deer in the headlights, I froze, uncertain where to go next. He went in for the kill.

"If you want garbage I can sell you garbage! I have nothing but garbage here!"

At this point he picked up a small lens off the shelf beside and flipped it high into the air over his head. It spun crazily until he snatched it out of the air like a juggling magician just before I was sure it was going to smash into the counter. He picked up another lens and started flipping it into the air too.

"The only good lenses are German lenses! Japanese lenses are crap!" His rant continued but I stopped listening.

With my mouth agape I was unconsciously shuffling backwards away for this idiot and out into the relative safety of Queen Street (in Toronto). The was last this time I entered the used dept. at Henry's. I'll do my used lens shopping at home on the net where I won't get ridiculed and screamed at for uttering the word 'Pentax'.
OMG You SERIOUS!? hmm. Was it the outlet centre? Cuz out of all employees at the Outlet Centre (on Queen) and the Main Store (Church+Queen) only Paul I think, knows how to do that and yea his section is in the back corner haha.

Paul only shoots Leica, Pentax, maybe Praktica too and the only digital dslrs he accepts are of Pentax make lol. He praises Pentax for their usability, durability, smart product design, good contrast. I couldn't see Paul ranting off against pentax. He's been shooting Pentax for decades, he sold the super and supermulticoated taks when they first came out. Like he'll tell you that back then, the manager of that other camera store he was working at used to pull out his cigarettes on the SMC TAk front element, it was that good.

Like if you go in and ask for pentax, he'll happily show you the stuff and tell you some technical bits and background of the lens.

Maybe it was UV filters cuz he hates that stuff. It vignets, reduces colour contrast, reduces light entering the lens, not optically part of lens design, and can't withstand near the punishment the front lens element can and its expensive.

The only guys that turn a blind eye to Pentax is either the Henry's Main Store or DownTown Camera (on Queen just a couple steps west of Henry's Outlet)

Last edited by FotoPete; 10-20-2007 at 10:39 AM.
10-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
OMG You SERIOUS!?
I have no reason to lie. I agree that the salespeople at the main outlet are not knowledgeable on Pentax products but they have never reacted like that dude did. Maybe 'Paul' was on his day off or was having a bad day. I just can't explain it - but I sure won't go back. The owners of the pawn shops on Church St. were far friendlier, but most of their stuff looked very used and abused.
10-20-2007, 07:30 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Paul gets annoyed easily about UV filters but I've never seen him go nuts against pentax since I started going there. (several months?) Then again during your visit, he was raging about japanese lenses in general which I can see happening especially a couple years back as the advent of dslrs caused mass dumping of film stuff.

The pawnshops on Church don't seem to carry much pentax stock. Mostly FD, Nikon and Konica. I've only been inside a couple shops in and around the Queen and Church intersection area.

Last edited by FotoPete; 10-20-2007 at 07:40 PM.