Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2007, 05:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please share your pre-focus technique and camera settings

I would like to know what is the correct pre-focus technique (for fast moving objects) as well as the correct camera settings.

Would this setting/technique be acceptable?

1. Mount the camera on tripod.

2. set the "OK btn when shooting" setting to "Enable AF"

3. Compose the image via the viewfinder and press the OK button to focus on something first. By the way, do we need to use manual focus for this or we can use AF?

4. Then when the fast moving object move into the frame, press the shutter button all the way/use the remote shutter release cable.

Is this ok? please share your technique as I would like to learn.

Also, what would be the technique if we don't have a tripod?

Thanks!

10-24-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I suppose that it really depends upon what your shooting, and what effect that you want.

For example if your shooting motorsports, and want some motion blur on the cars, but not the background your technique would work.

However if I was shooting a car race I'd leave the tripod at home. As a car was coming into view I'd aim the camera at it and pan along (follow the car with the camera) and take the photo when it's where I want it.
If this technique is done right the car should be sharp, and the background blurred.

The same basic technique can be used for most action sports photography.

As for focusing.
It can be tough. However here's 1 trick.
Focus to 1 spot and take the photo when the object reaches that spot.

If you use Auto Focus you have the right idea here
QuoteQuote:
set the "OK btn when shooting" setting to "Enable AF"
I've seen too many people not get a decent photo off using the shutter button to Auto Focus.
Their cameras just seem to search too much and don't snap the shot
I use Manual focus, and have always managed a couple of keepers.

I hope that this helps you a little.
10-24-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

For motorsport I just track the subject, totally hand-held, on AF.C with a selected focus point. I watch the red dot for the AF in the viewfinder as I'm tracking the car and keep the red dot on the same spot of the car the whole time, this means your panning is the right speed. Because I know the tracks I shoot at I know where I want the photo taken so I start firing a second before and keep tracking for about 2-3 seconds on continuous shutter.

I use Tv mode exclusively for this work at 1/180-1/250 with the Bigma and 1/60-1/125 on the 18-125.

Hope this helps.
10-24-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys! Very useful tips.

10-25-2007, 03:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Forget the tripod. If anything, a monopod might be useful. If you're panning at all it will help to reduce or eliminate any vertical component to your movement.

Personally, since I use Takumars almost exclusively I would rely very strongly on pre-focusing and already be stopped down before the subject approached.
10-26-2007, 04:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I would like to know what is the correct pre-focus technique (for fast moving objects) as well as the correct camera settings.

Would this setting/technique be acceptable?

1. Mount the camera on tripod.

2. set the "OK btn when shooting" setting to "Enable AF"

3. Compose the image via the viewfinder and press the OK button to focus on something first. By the way, do we need to use manual focus for this or we can use AF?

4. Then when the fast moving object move into the frame, press the shutter button all the way/use the remote shutter release cable.

Is this ok? please share your technique as I would like to learn.

Also, what would be the technique if we don't have a tripod?

Thanks!
Hi. My part time business is shooting equine sports events.

For this, i hand hold for the most part, the mono pod seems to slow me downa bit, but with VR hand holding works well.

I prefocus on the jump and when the horse does its thing, i fire. For dressage, reining, barrel racing, bull riding,, were the the horse is constantly moving, i just pan and follow and shoot when i see what i want.
I also use fast glass so i can geta high shutter speed for action freeze.

Hope that helps

Dave
10-26-2007, 04:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
I prefocus on the jump and when the horse does its thing, i fire. For dressage, reining, barrel racing, bull riding,, were the the horse is constantly moving, i just pan and follow and shoot when i see what i want.
Hi. Do you use manual focus or AF-S or AF-C?

10-27-2007, 06:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

AF-S, for 90 % of it.

Some times i use AF-C in dressage etc, but i find i get better results if i leave it in AF-S and just keep doing a machine gun type of finger action on the 1/2 shutter , then fire when i want. I fiind AF-C will sometimes be hunter a smidge when i shoot.

Dave
10-29-2007, 06:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
For motorsport I just track the subject, totally hand-held, on AF.C with a selected focus point. I watch the red dot for the AF in the viewfinder as I'm tracking the car and keep the red dot on the same spot of the car the whole time, this means your panning is the right speed. Because I know the tracks I shoot at I know where I want the photo taken so I start firing a second before and keep tracking for about 2-3 seconds on continuous shutter.

I use Tv mode exclusively for this work at 1/180-1/250 with the Bigma and 1/60-1/125 on the 18-125.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for this information .... it's good to get a few pointers when it comes to Motorsport.
I wouldn't mind getting out to some events (between work) and have a go.

Your tips will make it easier for me to start off with and then fine tune.

So I take it you just hold down the shutter when tracking .... and hope to at least get one decent shout out of it ... kinda like shooting a machine gun I guess.
11-07-2007, 11:44 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just joned, so I did not see your thread until now. I am a bit surprised that no one else on the list has not suggested using a manual focus lens to use Pentax' snap-in-focus.

Here's the way is works. Camera in AF.S (yes single auto, no shot till focused)
Lens in MF, or a MF lens ( eg my A 70-210)

Pre focus the lens manually where you expect to take the shot. Set your exposure. Make sure the in-focus light is out (don't aim at anything in the exact focus position). Track your subject while holding down the shutter release. Mr. Pentax will trip the shutter when the subject reaches the focus point. Presto! in focus shot of heavy action.