Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use an older Trek Pod and love it. My model is walking stick length at it's shortest and I feel secure putting my weight on it which I don't using my other monopod which telescopes to about 18 inches. Both get used a lot as I often shoot from a kayak. As I have grown older, the weight and size of what I carry on a hike is becoming more important. I hiked Mt. Marcy with my daughter last summer on a day trip. The round trip was appox 15 miles, mostly over boulders and loose rock. To be honest, the DSLR became a burden by the end of the day. Clouds moved in and much of the day was spent in dense fog along the higher terrain and I took few pictures. A good quality P&S is on my list for longer hikes and climbs. One of the accessories I have decided to spring for this year is the Cotton Carrier. It keeps your camera close to your chest and handy and very secure. I ran into a friend yesterday who bought one and loves it. He's left 70 in the rear view mirror and says it's the best purchase he's ever made and makes it easy to carry that camera for a long day of shooting.

03-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #47
Veteran Member

An adirondack hiker?

Marcy is a long walk, but not that tough. I've never done it in summer though, so I have no idea how boulder filled it is. I avoid the high peaks like a case of herpes 9 months out of the year.

I recommend a Samsung TL500 or Panasonic LX5 for high quality shots without the SLR. Though I still find the slr much quicker to use, much more intuitive, the TL500 is my light and fast adventure camera when an SLR cannot come. Though I believe an image is sold when the check arrives, there should be an image from the TL500 in the 2012 Adirondack Life calendar. I'm very impressed with the file output, especially RAW!

As far as the fog, you can get plenty of great shots. 99% of people put the camera away in the clouds and rain, which I think is a bit foolish. Turbulent weather offers the most unique opportunities for creative shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I hiked Mt. Marcy with my daughter last summer on a day trip. The round trip was appox 15 miles, mostly over boulders and loose rock. To be honest, the DSLR became a burden by the end of the day. Clouds moved in and much of the day was spent in dense fog along the higher terrain and I took few pictures. A good quality P&S is on my list for longer hikes and climbs.