Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2007, 08:17 PM   #1
Pentaxian

My new website! Still uploading images... comments welcome

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick note that I've been working like a busy bee on my new site. I've spent last week and last weekend getting the look/feel that I've always wanted for my photography website.

What prompted this move was to give a more professional look to my work and finally step forward and show others that I have a sincere passion for the art/science of photography (obsession perhaps?? ). Besides, if I am to continue forward, a clean appearance is a must from a business perspective. It's my hope this passion is reflected in my work, and that you'll stop by and enjoy the images. For now, I've setup a simple redirect from my open-source software based site to the smugmug pro account.

My signature link will work, but here is a link to the new site: Marc Langille Photography - Adventure. Nature. Wildlife. - powered by SmugMug

Not sure if I'll do a CNAME and Host change and it's seamless (but breaks any current posts with images I've done), and keep the the old site hidden until I'm finally moved over. C&C of any kind is most welcome: I may have missed something you the viewers do not. Remember, not everything is setup, and I hope it's off to a good start. Let me know!

NOTE: you'll need Adobe Flash Player to view the slideshow on the main page - a download link is provided.

Regards,
Marc

10-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Looks really good already, Marc.

Only thing that jumps out at me immediately is that the highlight background color when you mouseover the tabs is so bright that it almost entirely swallows up the white text.
10-18-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks really nice.

The hummingbirds are truly amazing - but two are probably enough for the slide show. You've got a great variety of shots, so highlight them.
10-18-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Looks good man. What did you use to design it?
Also I noticed your using 5500MH (C) batteries in yout TRIII power pack, How are they, any better than regular Alcy bats.

10-18-2007, 10:29 PM   #5

Your site looks really good but i have a few suggestions. As deadwolf said, the highlight on the mouseover of the site links is very bright. Try a shade of gray, it'll be easier on the eyes and stick with the black/grayscale theme of your sight. Second, keep the background for each page the same. The black background for the front page looks fine but when you click to say "equipment" and get that criss-cross background, it just doesn't flow. Third, how about try the double-lined border from your equipment page on the home page. One border around the site links and another around the slideshow. It would help keep the eyes from wondering around too much. Those are just my suggestions, give em a try and see what you think.
10-18-2007, 10:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Marc, the site is very good. The photographs are neatly arranged and easy to browse.

I wannt get mine revamped again but currently in the middle of changing jobs as well.

I see that you are planning to have a new section for your clients' work to be displayed in the site which is a very good idea
10-18-2007, 11:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I liked the site and I wish you success...
The only thing that bothered me was the "periods" after the three single words. (Adventure. Nature. Wildlife.)
Are you sure you need them? Grammar aside, a see them distracting.

Good luck!
10-19-2007, 05:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Looks really good already, Marc.

Only thing that jumps out at me immediately is that the highlight background color when you mouseover the tabs is so bright that it almost entirely swallows up the white text.
Done and thank you! It's a darker shade for the highlighting.

QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
Looks really nice.

The hummingbirds are truly amazing - but two are probably enough for the slide show. You've got a great variety of shots, so highlight them.
Done - removed one and I agree. Thanks for pushing me over the edge...

10-19-2007, 05:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Looks good man. What did you use to design it?
Also I noticed your using 5500MH (C) batteries in yout TRIII power pack, How are they, any better than regular Alcy bats.
Thanks Brendan for stopping by - I appreciate your comments. It's the Pro account on Smugmug, which can handle a lot of customization. It helps if you know HTML, etc. but they've got lots of online help documenting everything. Not for the impatient person though...

They held up fine for over 350 shots, but I've heard conflicting stories about using them in the battery pack - the voltage isn't quite as stable or something similar.

Cheers,
Marc
10-19-2007, 05:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by em0314 Quote
Your site looks really good but i have a few suggestions. As deadwolf said, the highlight on the mouseover of the site links is very bright. Try a shade of gray, it'll be easier on the eyes and stick with the black/grayscale theme of your sight. Second, keep the background for each page the same. The black background for the front page looks fine but when you click to say "equipment" and get that criss-cross background, it just doesn't flow. Third, how about try the double-lined border from your equipment page on the home page. One border around the site links and another around the slideshow. It would help keep the eyes from wondering around too much. Those are just my suggestions, give em a try and see what you think.
Mouseover highlighting is now darker - let me know - I think it's a good compromise now.

Background: still working on that one and it's on my To Do List. Believe it or not, the home page is my Bio section!! I'm not sure why that's happening - I've not yet had the time to dig through it, but I don't like the disparity either (dark cross-hatching).

Thanks for the suggestions!

Regards,
Marc
10-19-2007, 05:34 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bc_the_path Quote
I liked the site and I wish you success...
The only thing that bothered me was the "periods" after the three single words. (Adventure. Nature. Wildlife.)
Are you sure you need them? Grammar aside, a see them distracting.

Good luck!
That's been the hard part - too much on the banner is difficult. I tried hyphens, but it looks strange. If you've got a suggestion that I could try, please let me know.

Again, I appreciate everyone's input and the ones I can correct quickly are already done. Thank you all!

Regards,
Marc
10-19-2007, 05:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Marc, the site is very good. The photographs are neatly arranged and easy to browse.

I wannt get mine revamped again but currently in the middle of changing jobs as well.

I see that you are planning to have a new section for your clients' work to be displayed in the site which is a very good idea
Thanks James! I thought it was important to showcase work I've done, etc.

Good luck with the new job!

Cheers,
Marc
10-19-2007, 07:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Personally I like the periods (and I'm an English grad student!), but you could try tildes if the hyphens aren't working out for you.

I'd say keep the periods, though.
10-19-2007, 08:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Marc,
Congrats on the web site. It looks great! You have some very powerfull images on there.
Keep up the good work. I really like that first scenic on your slide show. Extremely well done.
Kent
10-20-2007, 06:01 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by em0314 Quote
Your site looks really good but i have a few suggestions....The black background for the front page looks fine but when you click to say "equipment" and get that criss-cross background, it just doesn't flow. Third, how about try the double-lined border from your equipment page on the home page. One border around the site links and another around the slideshow. It would help keep the eyes from wondering around too much. Those are just my suggestions, give em a try and see what you think.
Fixed the dark gray/crosshatching background! Yes! That took some serious digging to figure out, since I know nothing about CSS... much better....

I'm still trying to figure out the home page setup... which carries over into the other pages (border around the site links).. stay tuned.

EDIT: fixed the main page... now I'm deciding on the nav buttons - border or no border.... stay tuned

Last edited by Marc Langille; 10-20-2007 at 06:13 PM. Reason: update