Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Forum Member

Share your Custom Image Settings

Hey everyone, not sure what response this will get but here goes

I know that they'll be alot of people who shoot raw and develop colour in PP programs such as LR3 and Aperture, and I do too at times. But most of the time I like getting things right 1st time and like to avoid making any adjustments in PP on my computer.

I've had the K5 for a month now and I have to say I've been pretty impressed with what you can do in camera in the K5. I love the colour rendition of jpegs out of camera and the fun digital filters.

Two days I wanted to experiment with the Custom Image settings to see what could be achieved (previously I just used "Vibrant") and I discovered the "Bleach Bypass" mode which intrigued me.

So I started up Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 because you can play with Custom image settings on it, and you can replicate these settings on your camera. I started playing around with the Bleach Bypass setting and was pleasantly surprised with some of the results you can get - some resembling some 35mm film and a rather retro/old fashioned look I really like.

Here's a few before/after photos - Before photos are set to "vibrant" +2 contrast and +2 saturation. After photos set to "bleach bypass" with everything set to 0 except contrast which was +2, and colour toning mostly set to orange, with one green and one blue.

Colour tone set to blue here, perhaps a little unsuccessful?

Quite like this one, though I feel you have to view it larger to see it better.

Colour tone set to green

I guess my point is that with the numerous Custom Image setting parameters which we can adjust, there are so many different possibilities for getting the photo's right in camera. I guess this is something which I'm really thankful for, as i have previously been very frustrated with poor jpeg's from my Panasonic G1, i used to waste so much time in LR3 or Silkypix editing colours. Normally I go for punchy colours, but I also like the less saturated old school, now with the Custom image settings I can switch between the two at the click of a button, kind of like changing films. (and have raw as a back up, but great to know I don't have to do it all on PC)

Bottom is that with the Custom Image settings, there are so many possibilities, with a little patience you can develop your own jpeg look in camera and get the camera to do it for you each time! :-)

What are your thoughts on the custom image system? Have you found any interesting custom image settings? - if so please share

Last edited by vincechu; 03-03-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: inserted larger photos, link fixing
03-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I am still planning to experiment with the Custom Image settings to see what I like best.
03-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for a reply - hope it goes well, there's really a lot of versatility to be had if you spend some time with the settings, though I appreciate a lot of users will be shooting raw and doing adjustments in post processing
03-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot in RAW and then use Aperture 2 but I do set things to get the images close to what I like up front.
My image settings never change:
Saturation +2
Contrast +2
Sharpness +4
All the others are 0

My USER setting is set to RAW, Av, ISO 100, AWB, front wheel controls aperture, back wheel controls exposure compensation. For most outdoor situations that is a pretty good starts. If I am not using those settings I usually have it on P to take advantage of the auto-ISO. I will sometimes use TAv and very rarely M when I use my old teleconverter and have no choice.