Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Show off your lighting equipment

I couldn't find a thread, and this seems the best forum for it. I'm looking at revamping my lighting. I want to see what everyone is using. I'm looking into doing AC/DC lighting. I'm currently waiting for Studio Outfitters to get the Jinbei RD1200 back in stock and will probably go with these, as most of my desires for lighting right now is onsite and/or outdoors.

So, lets see it. What are you lighting with?

03-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No one uses lighting, eh?
03-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out Alien Bees.... www.alienbees.com I have a trio of the AB800s and they are very versatile especially when combined with the battery pack.

03-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've used Alien Bees. The main issue is, I'm going to be doing a lot of photos outdoors, with a variable ND filter, and the goal is to dim the sky/background as much as possible when I feel it would fit. I feel I'll need 1200w/s of power at about 5 feet from the subject to do this at my 1/250 sync. That would put me at 2 AB1600s and a Vagabond Mini (which is awesome, but a couple month wait). That would put me at roughly $1000. One Jinbei 1200 w/s w/pack is rougly $550.

However, ABs are great and have a name for themselves. I've talked to this guy on another board, and he loves his Jinbei. This is coming from a former user of Elinchrom Quadras and Ranger ASs.

This is more of a share thread, than opinion. We seem to have a lot of lens bragging, body bragging, but no one really posts their lighting.

03-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun

:hs:
03-11-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
this guy on another board, and he loves his Jinbei. This is coming from a former user of Elinchrom Quadras and Ranger ASs.

This is more of a share thread, than opinion. We seem to have a lot of lens bragging, body bragging, but no one really posts their lighting.
I've never heard of Jinbei before you mentioned them here. I've been looking into a lighting setup as well, possibly when I get my tax refund back. My eye has mainly been on the Einstein's or Elinchroms, but I'm always open to others if price and performance are good. Does Jinbei have a website? I can't seem to find any 1st party info on google. I'd like to see what kind of modifiers you can use with them.
03-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You can find Jinbei through Studio Outfitters (Redirect to TheStudioOutfitters.com).

03-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Alien Bees are pretty cheap in every meaning of the word. I have 2x AB800 1x AB1600 and a ring light ARB800. The advantage of them is that they are inexpensive and "reasonable" in quality while being highly portable. Color temperature variation I have measured at 400k during a shoot which is quite a lot and the attachment system is fairly flimsy.

I would be quite skeptical the quality of anything that cost 50% less than Alien Bees before I invested any money.

Regarding power output... I can't imagine what type of photo you would take with bare-bulb at 1200ws at 5ft but I find the AB800 usually will do the trick

AB800 with silver umbrella at ~6-8ft about 1hr before sunset

AB800 with 7" LTR at about 10 feet at about 12PM
03-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Great shots. I have no issue with ABs. I have a friend that shoots with them. They are a good value. However, the Vagabond II is overpriced, and the Vagabond Mini is months behind. Plus 640 ws is the most I can get from that size.

Shooting with 1200ws is easy with an ND filter. The reason you need 1200ws is to have greater brightness than the sun for that fraction of the second. That way, you dial in your ND to 2,3,4,8, etc stops as needed to dim out the background.

Here's an example of 3100 w/s: Jenn - BTS | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
03-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I just won an Elinchrom set off eBay with the following:

Elinchrom Ranger RX
2 Ranger S Heads
Elinchrom 7' Octa
Elinchrom 54" Octa
Elinchrom 39" Mini Octa
Elinchrom Beauty dish
Skyport with 4 Receivers
Snoot kit and grids
2 Avenger A660 wheeled stands

I tried to price all the items on B&H, but some were not in stock. I estimated the total would've been about $4200, plus or minus if purchased new. EDIT: Huh...maybe more like $4650 going by Adorama's prices. I paid $2595 for everything. What do you guys think? Any opinion on the quality of this set? Did I get ripped off?

Last edited by einstrigger; 03-15-2011 at 12:54 PM.
03-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Rangers are great. I don't know much about the RX kit. I think I saw that listing on eBay. The 7' Octa alone should be worth a good amount of money. That kit will be really versitle for you. Get a couple reflectors, and you're set.
03-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, I think I did ok considering the 7' Octa is a little over $1k by itself, if you can find it in stock. I was looking to get a lighting kit which would not only help me learn/experiment, but be versatile with room to grow. My original intent was to get some monolights, but battery pack and heads seem more versatile. I also like that the Ranger RX is weather sealed, but I guess it's a moot point because I don't have a weather sealed camera any more (sold my K-7 to help fund this kit). Anyhow, everything arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to get started!
03-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
Yes, I think I did ok considering the 7' Octa is a little over $1k by itself, if you can find it in stock. I was looking to get a lighting kit which would not only help me learn/experiment, but be versatile with room to grow. My original intent was to get some monolights, but battery pack and heads seem more versatile. I also like that the Ranger RX is weather sealed, but I guess it's a moot point because I don't have a weather sealed camera any more (sold my K-7 to help fund this kit). Anyhow, everything arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to get started!
If you're just starting out with lighting, find Zack Arias' "One Light" DVD. It's a great breakdown of how exposure with lighting works.

That Elinchrom kit is top notch. You'll never outgrow it.