Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-07-2011, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No Pentax DSLRs in Denver Area Stores

I live within a few miles of the Pentax headquarters in Golden, CO and yet I can not find Pentax DSLRs and lenses for sale in any nearby retail stores. The only chain that did sell them (Ultimate Electronics) just went out of business. That is pretty deplorable when you can't find Pentax so close the the HQ. Come on Pentax, please start selling in some of the chains! I don't like having to go by mail order.

03-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is sooo much to be said for being able to see and handle a camera before you buy it. Totally agree with this.
03-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

None here in phoenix either. I agree, having a camera in your
hands really helps.
03-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess I'm just lucky to have a camera shop that offers a large line of Pentax (Camera Craft in Rockford IL). We also have another one called Lundgren Camera that offers Pentax off-and-on, but it's selection is always limited. They might have a body or two to handle at least.

03-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #5

I was actually a little surprised to see the Ultimate Electronics carried some Pentax gear, that is where I got my K20 (for $400!). Mike's Camera quit carrying Pentax gear about 2 years ago and it has been years since Wolf carried any Pentax stuff. I am with you, I will not spend the money required on a camera that I cannot hold prior to purchase. I'm happy with my K20 but someday I'll probably move to the 60D or the D7000.
03-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #6

Perhaps we should congratulate ourselves for not running with the herd and just buying whatever mass market item some chain store wants to sell us. There is little difference between any of the big box electronics stores around here (or nationally). They sell what they can be the most of and sell at the biggest margins. Higher end specialty items like Pentax are not a priority for stores that want to sell you a refrigerator on the way out too.
03-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I agree totally. I won't buy a camera without handling it first. I have to drive 50 miles just to go to a camera store. Department stores and Electronics stores around here sell only entry level Canon/Nikon models and a couple of lenses.

03-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The only place I see Pentax cameras for sale here is used on CL. That's it, and usually the prices are pretty extreme for the model they're trying to hawk. If I want to upgrade it's a trip to a major city in another state most likely or buying online. I know there are a few people who apparently shoot Pentax here because I've seen their older equipment for sale but I've only met one other person who does so far, and he doesn't use their DSLR's, only their old SLR's. He has a Nikon as I recall for that.
03-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I don’t remember if I read it here or another forum but when they were released, one poster had mentioned that both the K-7 and K-x (black and white) were displayed and available in store at Fry’s Electronics in California. I wish we have a Fry’s here in Colorado not just for cameras but for other stuff as well. If you check online they actually have the 18-55mm WR and 50-200mm WR in store stock at some stores.

For Coloradans, TechForLess in the Springs actually sells used Pentax dSLR albeit old (K2000, K10D). I should drive down there one of these days and check their warehouse if they actually have Pentax gear in store.
03-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New Mexico doesn't stock new gear...best I've seen is a K-x and K20D at an Ultimate Electronics (which is going out of business here as well).

Does headquarters in Golden have a storefront (albeit pricey)?
03-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
New Mexico doesn't stock new gear...best I've seen is a K-x and K20D at an Ultimate Electronics (which is going out of business here as well).

Does headquarters in Golden have a storefront (albeit pricey)?
No. I was there when the K7 was released and there is just a suite of offices and some meeting rooms. As near as I can tell there is no place in Colorado where you can actually touch Pentax gear.
03-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All my Pentax gear has been purchased on-line. Can't say I've ever been disappointed.
03-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Castleman Quote
No. I was there when the K7 was released and there is just a suite of offices and some meeting rooms. As near as I can tell there is no place in Colorado where you can actually touch Pentax gear.
That's a shame, they should at least have all their gear at their US headquarters, and should sell them at pentaximaging.com prices. There's something to be said for handling the gear in person before purchase.
03-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Fry’s Electronics in California.
I saw the K100D there, not powered, however. Now, just 2 WR lenses, apparently.