Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What to bring to the hospital?

We're expecting in 4 weeks.
I'm half tempted to bring a make shift white box into our room and throw the baby in there for a few shots. Its a once in a lifetime opportunity...so why not, right?

What's the upper limit of gear you've used to bring into the hospital?

03-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
We're expecting in 4 weeks.
I'm half tempted to bring a make shift white box into our room and throw the baby in there for a few shots. Its a once in a lifetime opportunity...so why not, right?

What's the upper limit of gear you've used to bring into the hospital?
My advice? Either take a point&shoot, or forget about it entirely. Your darlin' is not likely to want her picture taken, and if you're busy with a camera you're missing out on (a) the experience,and (b) helping her get thru the less-than-fun parts of the experience...

Just my $0.02...

Jim
03-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My son was born 5 days ago. This is the gear I brought: K7 body, K20 body, Metz 58 flash, DA *55, DA *16-50, DA *50-135, and DA 35. Of all of those, the 50-135 I used the least -- hospital rooms are not terribly conducive to longer focal lengths. I don't think I would worry about a white box -- more about capturing the time leading up to the arrival.

As to how much you can bring, I think it would depend on the size of the delivery room. Our hospital is pretty small, but there was plenty of space in the corner for a back pack with my gear in it.
03-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
My advice? Either take a point&shoot, or forget about it entirely. Your darlin' is not likely to want her picture taken, and if you're busy with a camera you're missing out on (a) the experience,and (b) helping her get thru the less-than-fun parts of the experience...

Just my $0.02...

Jim
I disagree. True, while the actual labor is going on (barring epidural), Dads are needed as "support crew," but a point and shoot just will not perform in a darkish hospital room (without a flash, which most new borns don't like too much) and if you have your gear with you, particularly after the actual delivery, you can capture an awful lot.

I took few photos prior to the delivery itself, but many, many afterward.

03-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Just my $0.02...

Jim
I'm leaning more towards roxndox's point of view than the other direction. Talk and listen to your wife on this one, or you may be listening to negative accounts about your photography at every upcoming family gathering :-( a few discrete photos are probably fine, but turning this into a major photo expedition, i wouldn't.

best wishes,
03-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't know if I would take a flash
03-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I'm leaning more towards roxndox's point of view than the other direction. Talk and listen to your wife on this one, or you may be listening to negative accounts about your photography at every upcoming family gathering :-( a few discrete photos are probably fine, but turning this into a major photo expedition, i wouldn't.

best wishes,
This is probably the most important advice. My wife loves photography, scrapbooks a lot and takes a lot of photos herself and therefore is not bothered if I am taking lots of photos a long the way. Other wives could be very different...

03-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
My wife is the one telling me to have my camera gear ready. The delivery room is huge and we'll have it to ourselves. Of course the photo's will be of just the baby....not her after delivery.
03-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #9

I agree with the P&S. Everyone is going to be cranky, moody and nasty looking. Just holdout for 2-3 days when you'll all be at home, cleaned up and have a chance of at least a couple hours of sleep.
03-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

OK, your wife is telling you she wants you to take pictures. Now before the baby arrives there is nothing to take pictues of, plus she needs hand-holding, back rubbing, brow-mopping and so on. Once the baby has arrived, been checked amd wrapped, your wife has a clean gown on then it's time for a few pictures. Take the DSLR, take a short fast lens and that's it. You could do a dummy run (so to speak!) to work out what length will give you a reasonably filled frame from 3-5'.

Don't dream of using flash - the baby has been in the dark for 9 months - and remember that hospital lights might have weird colour casts, so I'd suggest shooting RAW+.

And be prepared for the unexpected. I used to work in a maternity hospital, loved the story about the chap who slide under the delivery bed as hiw wife was given an injection. But seriously, one reason for very little kit is if things go wrong you might need to vacate the room pronto. They probably won't, of course we all hope they won't, hope your wife doesn't even need stitches.
03-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I brought p&s (canon G9) to delivery room but had k-7 in labor room with 43mm and 16-50. We got nice shots 2 hrs after delivery with k-7 and I got crappy p&s shots in delivery room... But I still think that is exactly how I would do it again. I'm not going to be blowing up the delivery shots and hanging them on the wall... it was just to document the moment.
03-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Just my $0.02...

Jim

+1 on this advice. This is not a photo opportunity. It is a once or twice lifetime experience that should be lived.
03-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #13
Kai

Three years ago I had a Vdo cam and a point & shoot. A nurse managed to knock down the Vdo cam by the cord. it still works though. Oh they have a shot toeRd the legs in a wide angle. If I have to do it again, I will probably bring my k-7 with a remote but on a more secure location if I can find it. And maybe another point and shoot for a shot of myself cutting the cord by the nurse, that nurse offered to take it for me last time. You will find time to take some good shots somehow but just be very careful. And definitely NO FLASH on the baby for a year or so!! Congrats!!! Oh enjoy the moment first with your family, when everything calms down you can take these pics.
03-10-2011, 11:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

My sister had a baby 6months ago. I took K200D, 540 flash DA15 and FA77.
Even in a cramped hospital room the FA77 was excellent and by no means felt too long.

Some smaples of the FA77 in the "cramped" hospital room
Borther-in law-

Grandparents-
03-11-2011, 02:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Take a fisheye, a Bigma and a Macro, then you are covered for all type of photos from environmental portraits to ultra-closeups of delivery

Seriously, I didn't take any photo gear for the delivery. Instead, I just enjoyed the moments of becoming a father and supported my wife the best I could. At the evening when I went back to the hospital again I brought my FZ-5 bridge cam and took only 2 pics. A few days later I could take sh*tloads of pics of my daughter at the hospital and at home. Imho in the first days being a father and husband is far more important than being a photographer.