Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 03:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest whatever with macro capability like the sigma 17-70 OS, flash+flashgel, radio trigger for off-camera. Second body with 50f1.4 @f1.4 for isolation of subject. You may not have time to change lenses. It's not the gears that control your mind then.

Then shoot everything - use what you have with you: macro (fingers, toes, compare with your hand), normal/regular photos, bokeh, low light, flash blending, flash as main light etc.

You can also wait until you have some privacy too ;-)
Enjoy the moments and good luck.

03-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Is this event about the pictures or the moment? I would take a small P&S, catch what photos I could during the delivery, then enjoy the moment. You won't need pictures to remind you of this event. You'll have a child for that purpose. Please...don't make photography more important than being completely in-the-moment for your child's birth.
03-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #18
Pentaxian

When my last daughter was born, I brought my Spotmatic and 55/2 Tak. I didn't use flash as the delivery room was very well lit. The shots came out pretty good. All of my shots were in the minutes right after my daughter was born as the Dr. was attending to my wife and the nurses were doing their stuff with the baby, getting weight, footprints, and cleaning her up. etc. I needed to be out of the way for a minute or two and that's when I got my shots. Seeing your children born is a wonderful thing. As TaoMaas said, don't let the camera get in the way.
03-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We're also expecting in a few weeks. I plan on bringing my camera... camera is even on a list of "stuff to bring" we were given. I'm not really sure how much it will be used though. My guess is that I'll get a few shots after the birth.

03-18-2011, 04:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

your wife...

Just make sure, while you are concentrating on not forgetting your camera gear, that you don't forget to bring your wife along too...
03-18-2011, 06:12 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
We're also expecting in a few weeks. I plan on bringing my camera... camera is even on a list of "stuff to bring" we were given. I'm not really sure how much it will be used though. My guess is that I'll get a few shots after the birth.
By all means, take pictures! I did. Just don't lose your perspective about what's most important on that day.
03-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Just make sure, while you are concentrating on not forgetting your camera gear, that you don't forget to bring your wife along too...
I have a friend who was trying to shoot video of the delivery of his first child. Midway through it all, his wife motioned for him to come close to her. She grabbed him by the shirt, jerked him down within a few inches of her face, and screamed, "We are NEVER doing this again!" LOL

03-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Don't actually. Newborn eyes are very sensitive. That's too harsh at first. Seriously, take one or two quick snap shots and wait for the baby to get a bit older before subjecting him or her to a full on photo session. A baby's first week or two can be overwhelming in terms of external stimuli and putting a flash and camera in a new baby's face too often isn't a great thing for the baby.

It's just come out of a snug womb remember? Left all that dark, nice space, and now it's seeing and hearing a lot more than Mom's heartbeat for the very first time. About the LAST thing a baby needs to experience at first is camera sounds and even more bright lights. On top of the birth that's a lot of stress, a photo shoot.

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
I don't know if I would take a flash
03-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Have to agree about the flash. Skip it and boost your ISO. No one is liable to complain if the shots of the baby are a little noisy.... and you will have a less stressed out baby.
03-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I have a friend who was trying to shoot video of the delivery of his first child. Midway through it all, his wife motioned for him to come close to her. She grabbed him by the shirt, jerked him down within a few inches of her face, and screamed, "We are NEVER doing this again!" LOL
Easy at our hospital -- photos and video of the delivery were not allowed. Probably for legal reasons...or because papa would be in the way.

The OP's soft-box thoughts reminded me that I was in our den unpacking the umbrellas and lightstands (ala Strobist) that had just arrived on my doorstep when my wife walked in the room and said, "um, honey...I'm not sure, but I think my water broke". Needless to say it was a couple of weeks before that stuff was picked up again. She was 4-weeks early by the way. #1 advice -- PACK NOW! (c:

When my daughter was born 3 years ago, I brought my K10D and 50/1.4 (my only DSLR and my fastest lens) and shot with available light. It was good enough to take a few snaps while we were being sleep-deprived and generally overwhelmed by our new life.

With the red, blotchy skin & so forth, I found a B&W treatment looked nice.

Have fun & congrats in advance!
03-21-2011, 04:32 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Have to agree about the flash. Skip it and boost your ISO. No one is liable to complain if the shots of the baby are a little noisy.... and you will have a less stressed out baby.
People say this about flash, but my wife and I have three kids and none have them have been particularly bothered by the flash, anymore than they would be by fluorescent lights. Of course, I only use bounce flash, nothing direct...

Timing is everything. A dad needs to be there for his wife during the labor portion, but there is plenty of time afterward to take lots of photos. My wife was on facebook within a few hours posting photos.

As to those who recommend using a point and shoot, I am not sure how well that works in a darkened hospital room without a flash.
03-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
This turned into an interesting thread. She's due in less than 2 weeks. I'm still thinking of making a a white box that is big enough to lay a baby into for a quick shot. I'm not talking about minutes after the baby is born...but maybe the same day?
I have no idea how unrealistic this is. Its our first.

Otherwise....I'll just be bring my K-X and a speedlight and bounce the flash.
03-22-2011, 03:40 AM   #28
Ira
Inactive Account

Can I discuss a fun project for you, that has nothing to do with the delivery?

I forget what stage of pregnancy it's at, but they do a test where she has to drink a ton of water before the doctor's visit and isn't allowed to pee.

So a camcorder sitting on your lap in the waiting room...pointing up at your lady as she writhes in agony because she's dying to pee...is PRICELESS.

It's my favorite footage!!!
03-22-2011, 06:25 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Cruel, cruel, cruel. Surprised she didn't slap you one round the face.
03-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike hit the right response "Your wife". But I would suggest taking a single lens kit lens would do, and packing that plus one body and spare batteries in a bag literally tied to your wif's prepacked bag. Predictability in the last 2 weeks is zero. Just have it ready at the door so you can grab it on the way out