Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Where is photography going?

The recent zoo in K-5 section made me wonder...

what's going on? are people still interested in photography as such or they are only interested in test charts? why people spend more time anally looking for faults in their gear rather than spending that same time to improve their skill and general theory?

03-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most people discussing the technological issues here are not photographers, but engineers. Photographers are not sitting on forums but rather taking pictures.

So the photography is still the same, engineering is on decline.
03-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Being content with my K20D, I don't read the Kx-Ky-Kr-K7-K9-K5 fora, so I missed that. Instead I see OCD-like comparisons of lens minutiae discernible only by pixel-peeking pervs. It don't worry me. I'm not shooting forensics. I can live with some leeway. Prize-winning photos can be shot with Holgas. Can't we all just get along?
03-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photography is going...

...everywhere!

So where do you want to go? And why care about random strangers on the internet?

03-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
over the next 6 months, my photography is going to Puerto Rico, South Africa, and the Dominican Republic.
03-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I think photography is going away from what has been it's strength up until recently...namely, being the closest thing we have to an accurate reproduction of an event or scene...and crossing over into more expressive (but less literal) territory alongside painting and sculpture.
03-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think it's fine that people want to troubleshoot and make sure their cameras are working properly. In the case of the K-5 (and the K-r), I felt the issues shouldn't have stopped people from their photography though. Sure, the cameras had issues in tungsten, but is that the bulk of everyone's photography? Dimly, lit by tungsten indoor scenes? There's an entire world out there that's lit by sunshine or other light and we should've seen more examples of that while people were waiting on a fix.

03-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote

what's going on? are people still interested in photography as such or they are only interested in test charts? why people spend more time anally looking for faults in their gear rather than spending that same time to improve their skill and general theory?
It's a forum and the people here (and most forums in general) are enthusiasts. That means they like to talk about their gear and test it and whatnot. The same thing happens in any group where you have people that come together with common interests.

If you don't like the test threads, don't read them. Some people like reading and contributing.
03-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I think photography is going away from what has been it's strength up until recently...namely, being the closest thing we have to an accurate reproduction of an event or scene...and crossing over into more expressive (but less literal) territory alongside painting and sculpture.
Photography has never been an accurate reproduction of anything.
03-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Photography has never been an accurate reproduction of anything.

What do you have that's closer?
03-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I can see both sides of the story. Nobody wants to spend money on equipment and have it not work properly, or miss a shot you may not be able to ever get again.

But… I think that people have become spoiled by the technology. Think back to the not so distance past and FILM. If you were using a K1000 you didn’t have the ability to change the ISO mid roll, only manual focus, you would have to use filters to control the color temperature, and no instant confirmation that your shot was perfect. Yet people still took photos and if you knew what you were doing they usually came out fine.

Yes the FF issues may be a legitimate problem. I sure wouldn’t want to be a wedding photographer and have once in a lifetime photos be out of focus because of faulty equipment. Personally I wonder if people are expecting too much from their cameras and not relying on technique and knowledge. Even with the advances of today’s digital cameras, how feasible are very low light photos at wide apertures (shallow depth of field) and autofocus.

In the end a camera is only a machine that has limitations. If you want your camera to work better, learn how your camera works! Go out and take as many pics as you can, read the manual and any book, blog or forum you can, talk to other photographers, and practice and experiment.
03-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
What do you have that's closer?
I guarantee that it is NOT my drawing. (unless you are a stick-man)
03-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote

I can't speak to this forum specifically, though recently there are a lot of technical discussions because of the K5's issues.

That said, I spent some time looking around DPreview at the various forums and did some quick ad hoc survey's of my own gauging whether or not I thought the forum was more about the gear or more about the photographs.

In my loose survey, I find the Kodak, Fuji, and Leica shooter more interested in photographs and the Canon and Nikon folks more centered on gear and Pentax somewhere in between.

The Kodak folks are probably have the most child like innocence as to the ways of the gear. They shoot photos of their cats and rave about the Kodak color and are generally, unlike most, happy with their cameras. Some of the other forums have members that blow up the pics to about 600% and then complain that the image isn't laser sharp. I guess ignorance is bliss.
03-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
ASa

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
over the next 6 months, my photography is going to Puerto Rico, South Africa, and the Dominican Republic.
I envy you a bit.. My photography will be staying here in Iceland at least until summer. On the other hand I hope I'll progress as a photographer and be able to capture everything my photography is going.

As for the original question, I do agree that people should be more concerned about taking pictures than making sure their gear is perfect and tack sharp, BUT it's also important that you have gear you feel confident shooting with. I also believe that this isn't a new problem, I think there has been technical discussions as long as there has been technology.
03-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Most people discussing the technological issues here are not photographers, but engineers. Photographers are not sitting on forums but rather taking pictures.
That's quite true in my case. I am an engineer with an interest in photography, but I would not in any way consider myself a photographer. And in truth, I probably am more interested in the gear than photography. As you said, if I were a photographer, I think I would spend a lot less time on the forum and more time taking pictures