Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Learn Proper lighting technique here.

I picked up this magazine in a couple of days ago. Excellent stuff here and answers so many questions I've seen here (and had myself) and elsewhere about proper lighting with and without strobes, flashes, reflectors and natural lighting. I know this will take my shooting to a different level for sure.

Check it out on the web and you can buy a downloaded copy on the site.

Preston Publications Shopping Cart

There are many links on the page I posted to have a look around. If you want to learn this subject better you won't regret the couple of bucks for this magazine.

10-22-2007, 12:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tried, but they didn't like my credit card.
10-22-2007, 01:06 AM   #3
and
Veteran Member

ah this one, I saw that in a bookstore just last week and I was thinking about it but the store had sealed it in plastic so I couldnt browse it and I didnt know if it was any good or not, the price was a bit steep for such a thin magazine also.

question is if it has anything to add on top of all the great, free info available at strobist...
10-22-2007, 02:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I was going to get the print version just to have something to throw in the truck and give me some food for thought during idle moments.

10-22-2007, 03:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Yeah the printed copy is a little expensive but I found it to be worth it. Many of the topics have been covered here to a degree but I like how in depth they covered certain things. It discusses various equipment (soft box, umbrella's etc) with the pro's and cons. Studio lighting for me is new ground and this seems to be helpful. It's not all studio stuff either, using reflectors in the field, back lighting and so on. Looks like a good mag to get from other topics I found on the web site as well. It may be a bit more expensive since there aren't many ads either. almost all of it is how to articles.
10-22-2007, 04:26 AM   #6
and
Veteran Member

Yea I thought of getting it to read on the train, its just that for 8 dollars more I could buy a whole kodak photography bible (complete with great info and lots of 80's pictures).... but I guess I might still pick one up...
10-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've paid for the d'load version but they haven't sent a link or the document YET. It should be a short and painless process.

If you do order make sure you fill both sides of the form otherwise you'll need to do it again.

Will let you know how long it takes, when I get the link.

Thanks for the info Peter.

10-23-2007, 01:56 AM   #8

Peter
I have been thinking of getting a beginners book to lighting so I am considering ordering this magazine. That said I would like to ask, do you think it is suited for beginners?

Also would you or anyone else have any other recommendations for a good book to get me started on lighting?
10-23-2007, 02:05 AM   #9
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jazzman Quote
Peter
I have been thinking of getting a beginners book to lighting so I am considering ordering this magazine. That said I would like to ask, do you think it is suited for beginners?

Also would you or anyone else have any other recommendations for a good book to get me started on lighting?
Print out all the lighting 101 articles from strobist..?
Or get the book> Light, Science and Magic
10-23-2007, 03:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
The magazine seems quite straightforward but AND's suggestions are good as well. Spend some time on the Strobist site starting here as he suggested:

Strobist: Lighting 101

Last edited by Peter Zack; 10-23-2007 at 08:13 AM.
10-23-2007, 08:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Update

They are ligit - it just took them a little longer to verify with their cCard system. They might be good with photo stuff but their IT system sucks - wonder if they need a IT consultant.

Thanks again for the link Peter.
10-24-2007, 12:59 AM   #12
and
Veteran Member

Just picked this magazine up today. Read a bit on the train, all the articles are written by Bobby Lane, I have her lighting tutorial dvd, the one that there is an ad for on the inside for the front cover. Also I recognized the model on the inside of the back cover as the model who was in that dvd.

I was concerned about the thickness of the magazine but its all articles and doesnt have a lot of ads so its good content. Although remember pros do have different preferences, I have seen peple give different advice in different situations. Indeed also I was surprised to read that she opens up 1/3 stop from the reading for portraits because in the dvd she does not do this.

In the dvd she sets the camera to the reading of the main light, other videos I have seen from different pros set the camera to the reading of the combined lights taken in front of the subjects face. Another small difference.

Also the cameras used are old so I guess the articles are not that recent, but of course this does not affect the content at all. she was using nikon d100 and fuji s1 and s2 and film cameras. in the dvd she is using a canon 5d.

all in all its a good read and I do recommend it