Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Event Photography

Hi fellow Pentaxian,

I am just wondering if there are any corporate events/functions photographers out here?

I have been hired to cover a 2 and half day corporate events including the party afterwards. This is my first time to get PAID for doing something I love.

Any tips and tricks to share? gears wise? or style?

Thanks

03-12-2011, 09:58 AM - 5 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not a corporate events/functions photographer by any means - however, I have been to a few. Saw some great images, and some mediocre images from them. I also have heard comments from management over the years about the various results. So.....
  • Have you asked the customer for their expectations?
  • What do they really want to see in the photos?
  • How do they plan to use the photos?
  • What do they want the images to show?
  • Do they want candid images of all (or most) of the attendees (important customers, employees, etc.)?
  • Do they want to show how big the event is, or how friendly the event was, or that the event showcased their product line, or their management, or ?????
  • Will it be inside, outside or both?
  • Will there be a lot of meeting in side rooms, or large (drink the koolaid) presentations.
  • You may want to go to the venue and see the setup, ask the venue management for photos of past events, so that you can see how some past events were photographed. Are there particular views or vantage points that would showcase the event (a balcony), that other have used (and how do you get there). Take some test shots and see how they turn out with your gear. You might need a wider lens, or a better flash, or ......
  • Ask the venue how this particular event is going to use the venue (how the customer asked the venue to set it up for this particular function). You might also want to get there early or the night before when the venue is setting up so that you are familiar with the layout and where everything is. Also, the person who hired you will probably be there directing the setup activities and that is a good point to go over any last minute directions, changes, etc.
  • Is there going to be a famous guest speaker that the attendees (and management) would like pictures with....
  • Do you have a time line of the various activities within the event (and where within the venue), so that you will be in the right place at the right time, and manage your time accordingly.
  • Is there an area that you setup a laptop and dump your images, and maybe take 30 minutes with who ever hired you to make sure that they are getting what they wanted. You can also use this area to have spare batteries recharging, etc.
  • Do they have your cell phone number so that if you are in one area and they have an immediate need they can re-direct your activities......
  • Preparation is 90% of the task.

I probably would not only emphasize one single aspect to the exclusion of the others, but it would be nice to understand what they desired, intended and wanted, so that at least that aspect was covered adequately.

Last edited by interested_observer; 03-12-2011 at 10:09 AM.
03-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Interested_observer

Those bullet points have helped me so much.

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
* Have you asked the customer for their expectations?
* What do they really want to see in the photos?
* How do they plan to use the photos?
* What do they want the images to show?
* Do they want candid images of all (or most) of the attendees (important customers, employees, etc.)?
* Do they want to show how big the event is, or how friendly the event was, or that the event showcased their product line, or their management, or ?????
* Will it be inside, outside or both?
* Will there be a lot of meeting in side rooms, or large (drink the koolaid) presentations.
* You may want to go to the venue and see the setup, ask the venue management for photos of past events, so that you can see how some past events were photographed. Are there particular views or vantage points that would showcase the event (a balcony), that other have used (and how do you get there). Take some test shots and see how they turn out with your gear. You might need a wider lens, or a better flash, or ......
* Ask the venue how this particular event is going to use the venue (how the customer asked the venue to set it up for this particular function). You might also want to get there early or the night before when the venue is setting up so that you are familiar with the layout and where everything is. Also, the person who hired you will probably be there directing the setup activities and that is a good point to go over any last minute directions, changes, etc.
* Is there going to be a famous guest speaker that the attendees (and management) would like pictures with....
* Do you have a time line of the various activities within the event (and where within the venue), so that you will be in the right place at the right time, and manage your time accordingly.
* Is there an area that you setup a laptop and dump your images, and maybe take 30 minutes with who ever hired you to make sure that they are getting what they wanted. You can also use this area to have spare batteries recharging, etc.
* Do they have your cell phone number so that if you are in one area and they have an immediate need they can re-direct your activities......
* Preparation is 90% of the task.
03-13-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just happened across this other posting that might also be very helpful......

03-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ah sweet. i'll read them on my downtime in the office
03-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

might be a moot point at this time but do ensure you are appropriately compensated for the job.
03-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
might be a moot point at this time but do ensure you are appropriately compensated for the job.
for a newcomer, i think i got a pretty sweet deal with the event organiser for this particular event.

03-14-2011, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Excellent list. I added a reputation point. The only thing I would add, having done this for a couple of years, is find out who needs to be photographed. If there is a list keep it with you and check off names as you go. It's very easy to focus on the most photogenic people and forget the ones who are less so.

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
  • Have you asked the customer for their expectations?
  • What do they really want to see in the photos?
  • How do they plan to use the photos?
  • What do they want the images to show?
  • Do they want candid images of all (or most) of the attendees (important customers, employees, etc.)?
  • Do they want to show how big the event is, or how friendly the event was, or that the event showcased their product line, or their management, or ?????
  • Will it be inside, outside or both?
  • Will there be a lot of meeting in side rooms, or large (drink the koolaid) presentations.
  • You may want to go to the venue and see the setup, ask the venue management for photos of past events, so that you can see how some past events were photographed. Are there particular views or vantage points that would showcase the event (a balcony), that other have used (and how do you get there). Take some test shots and see how they turn out with your gear. You might need a wider lens, or a better flash, or ......
  • Ask the venue how this particular event is going to use the venue (how the customer asked the venue to set it up for this particular function). You might also want to get there early or the night before when the venue is setting up so that you are familiar with the layout and where everything is. Also, the person who hired you will probably be there directing the setup activities and that is a good point to go over any last minute directions, changes, etc.
  • Is there going to be a famous guest speaker that the attendees (and management) would like pictures with....
  • Do you have a time line of the various activities within the event (and where within the venue), so that you will be in the right place at the right time, and manage your time accordingly.
  • Is there an area that you setup a laptop and dump your images, and maybe take 30 minutes with who ever hired you to make sure that they are getting what they wanted. You can also use this area to have spare batteries recharging, etc.
  • Do they have your cell phone number so that if you are in one area and they have an immediate need they can re-direct your activities......
  • Preparation is 90% of the task.

I probably would not only emphasize one single aspect to the exclusion of the others, but it would be nice to understand what they desired, intended and wanted, so that at least that aspect was covered adequately.

03-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
Excellent list. I added a reputation point. The only thing I would add, having done this for a couple of years, is find out who needs to be photographed. If there is a list keep it with you and check off names as you go. It's very easy to focus on the most photogenic people and forget the ones who are less so.
great! i have the list of the event speakers and i will make sure that i cover all them.
03-28-2011, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by kwetiaw Quote
Hi fellow Pentaxian,

I am just wondering if there are any corporate events/functions photographers out here?

I have been hired to cover a 2 and half day corporate events including the party afterwards. This is my first time to get PAID for doing something I love.

Any tips and tricks to share? gears wise? or style?

Thanks
I recently shot a 2.5 day event that involved everything from energetic stage presentations, sports, nightclub/socializing, a formal dinner, and high profile corporate keynote speakers.

What sort of gear do you have and will you be the only photographer present?

Personally I find it really helps to have 2 camera bodies with me at all times, so that you can have a wide range of focal lengths covered. Whether you're shooting with primes or zooms, you need to have your bases covered because a situation will come up where you have to suddenly switch from telephoto to wide.. for example, you may be picking someone off in the distance with a telephoto for a candid but then a group of people much closer to you will ask you if you can take their photo - you can't say "hold on a sec while I switch lenses", right? Please don't tell me you'll be using an 18-250mm!

If you're working with other photogs, you need to coordinate where and what you're shooting so you don't trip up on each other.

Also, with such a long event.. do you have enough memory cards and backup methods in the field (like laptop or portable hard drive)?

With regards to style.. mysticcowboy already asked if you know what the customer's expectations are. But if they're hiring a photographer to cover the event, they most likely want you to document events as they unfold. It's easy to hang back and take candids.. but don't be afraid to approach a group of people and ask if they want their picture taken.. people generally will say yes, especially if they know that you're the "pro"!

Wear some comfy clothes and shoes but look professional, have a method of carrying various lenses/flashes, bring extra everything (batteries, mem cards, etc), shoot raw, and enjoy the opportunity. Post some pics when you're done with the editing!
03-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilight_samurai Quote
I recently shot a 2.5 day event that involved everything from energetic stage presentations, sports, nightclub/socializing, a formal dinner, and high profile corporate keynote speakers.

What sort of gear do you have and will you be the only photographer present?

Personally I find it really helps to have 2 camera bodies with me at all times, so that you can have a wide range of focal lengths covered. Whether you're shooting with primes or zooms, you need to have your bases covered because a situation will come up where you have to suddenly switch from telephoto to wide.. for example, you may be picking someone off in the distance with a telephoto for a candid but then a group of people much closer to you will ask you if you can take their photo - you can't say "hold on a sec while I switch lenses", right? Please don't tell me you'll be using an 18-250mm!

If you're working with other photogs, you need to coordinate where and what you're shooting so you don't trip up on each other.

Also, with such a long event.. do you have enough memory cards and backup methods in the field (like laptop or portable hard drive)?

With regards to style.. mysticcowboy already asked if you know what the customer's expectations are. But if they're hiring a photographer to cover the event, they most likely want you to document events as they unfold. It's easy to hang back and take candids.. but don't be afraid to approach a group of people and ask if they want their picture taken.. people generally will say yes, especially if they know that you're the "pro"!

Wear some comfy clothes and shoes but look professional, have a method of carrying various lenses/flashes, bring extra everything (batteries, mem cards, etc), shoot raw, and enjoy the opportunity. Post some pics when you're done with the editing!

It will be a corporate event and it's going to be 2.5 days long as well

What i'm gearing up for the events

1 Laptop
1 Pentax body - k-x
DAL 18-250mm
Pentax-m 50mm f1.4
additional pentax-m 100mm and 135mm
2 flash guns with remote flash if needed
14GB worth of SD memory
Also a manfrotto tripod if needed
A Pelican Case 1510

I will be the only photographer for the event.

Haha whats wrong with 18-250mm? I am thinking that would be my primary lens for the event? I wish I have 2 DSLR bodies so I can hook up my 50mm prime on one and 18-250mm on the other.

I will definitely post up the pictures when Im finished with the editing.

Thanks for the tips!
03-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From your info so far there isn't much insight as to what conditions you'll be expecting at this particular event. I photograph events such as conferences and concerts, and each of them have variable lighting conditions and speed/action-freezing requirements. So if you're not sure why your 18-250 lens is not the most suitable for this type of setting, then you have a way to go to understand what it takes to photograph such events. Nevertheless, hope it all works out for you mate.
03-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
From your info so far there isn't much insight as to what conditions you'll be expecting at this particular event. I photograph events such as conferences and concerts, and each of them have variable lighting conditions and speed/action-freezing requirements. So if you're not sure why your 18-250 lens is not the most suitable for this type of setting, then you have a way to go to understand what it takes to photograph such events. Nevertheless, hope it all works out for you mate.
Hi Ash

the events would be mix between indoors and outdoors. the event I took last time i was using 18-55mm and I wished I have better lens with AF and extra DSLR body such as k-7 or k-5

I know 18-250 is not the most suitable but it is at least better than my 18-55mm kit lens. Although, it's not a prime lens but it should cover group photos and key speakers while they are speaking in the stage without the need to change lens.

below photographs are the result from the past event I covered. They were taken with 1 body and a switch between 18-55mm and manual 135mm f3.5. Any comments will be much appreciated.

twilight_samurai is correct, switching in between lens is not a good enough option plus it wont look professional. by having 18-250mm should at least fix this problem and also temporary patch for not having 2 DSLR bodies.

Again, im only new with photographing event. so any guidance or suggestion will definitely help me or any newbie out there on their way of becoming a better photographer.
03-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #14

The 18-250 is not a fast enough lens for dim, indoor situations where the use of flash is not an option (like when you need to be discrete). Outdoors in bright light you can get away with a slow lens like the 18-250. If you're getting paid for this event and you intend to shoot more in the future, you should consider investing in faster lenses.

I noticed in your first example photo that it looks like you're bouncing the flash off the ceiling which is a good start. However, it tends to create a shadowy "beard" on everyone's faces (even women ) - so what you could try is to not bounce it perfectly straight up.. bounce it off the ceilings and walls by angling the flash head differently. It'll give you more dynamic looking lighting and hopefully reduce the unsightly five o'clock shadow look.

In the 2nd photo, watch how people pose and beware of what's in the background. It looks like there are flag poles sticking out of their heads. Also, why pose in front of the fence when it looks like they could have posed right at the edge of the water? The shot would have had less distracting elements in it.

The situation in the 3rd photo is a tough one because the background screen is much brighter than the light in front of the presenter. Were you able to get in closer at all to isolate the guy with a close up shot? Maybe you did (the # of samples for us to look at is quite small).
03-29-2011, 12:10 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The 18-250 is not a fast enough lens for dim, indoor situations where the use of flash is not an option (like when you need to be discrete). Outdoors in bright light you can get away with a slow lens like the 18-250. If you're getting paid for this event and you intend to shoot more in the future, you should consider investing in faster lenses.
I agree completely with you on this. this 18-250mm is all I can afford at the moment. Future investment is a must

I noticed in your first example photo that it looks like you're bouncing the flash off the ceiling which is a good start. However, it tends to create a shadowy "beard" on everyone's faces (even women ) - so what you could try is to not bounce it perfectly straight up.. bounce it off the ceilings and walls by angling the flash head differently. It'll give you more dynamic looking lighting and hopefully reduce the unsightly five o'clock shadow look.
Yes the "beard", I wasnt planning to shoot during night and they asked me to stay. Luckily I brought all my gears with me including the Vivitar 285 flash, but I dont have the portable softbox (which you attach to the flash head) which then I just have to bounce it off the wall to make it softer.

In the 2nd photo, watch how people pose and beware of what's in the background. It looks like there are flag poles sticking out of their heads. Also, why pose in front of the fence when it looks like they could have posed right at the edge of the water? The shot would have had less distracting elements in it.
I agree completely, I didnt realise until you pointed it out. I could have them walk a little bit further just by the water. Thanks for pointing it out. the day was pretty much covered with grey clouds which makes the outcome less attractive.

The situation in the 3rd photo is a tough one because the background screen is much brighter than the light in front of the presenter. Were you able to get in closer at all to isolate the guy with a close up shot? Maybe you did (the # of samples for us to look at is quite small).
I agree with you. it's a challenge. I was thinking to set up a wireless flash in front of the speaker and sync it with the ambient light. But i resisted from doing that because it might become annoying and distract the speaker from presenting.

I captured few close up shots isolating the speaker and from few different angles as well.