Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2007, 05:15 AM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Well it's a good workflow--a bit complicated, but still pretty good.

My real problem is seeing how 600 shots on a battery, 1200 for two (give or take) and then you run-out at a critical time. Guess a lot of you never shot sports for money on film. I can change film and batteries, on a dead run during a hurry-up offense in the last 10 seconds of a game--clock running!:ugh:

And some people snivel at removing a battery grip!
John it actually reduces down to (at shooting time)

Camera stops - flick the switch off and on again - keep shooting - switch grip battery when you have a chance - continue shooting knowing you still have the reserve tank (the camera battery that has only had 10 to 20 shots taken on it each grip battery change time)

Occasionally top up the camera battery before it runs out of charge.

Thats it - much simpler than it looked when all detail is given.

Rod

10-23-2007, 06:25 AM   #17
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
at the risk of sounding redundant, +1 to what Rod said again.

I shot close to 4000 shots in Tanzania with this technique on a 10-day Safari. When there was a photo op and battery died, delay was a second w/a power cycle to switch to the body battery, then shooting again. Once the photo op was over (or enough taken) and the Land Rover was off to find more animals roaming or laying around, I'd switch-out the dead grip battery. Then camera off an on again to go back to using the grip. I was out on Safari for 10 days. I'd often go through 3 - 4 batteries in a day. I think I took off my grip to change the in-body battery once in the 10 days, back in the tent when there's no pressure. That's convenience.

p.s. 600 shots per batter?! lol, more like under 300, sometimes near 200. But then again, I'd do in-camera viewing and editing to weed out the real loser shots while we were driving so that takes power.

Last edited by m8o; 10-23-2007 at 06:31 AM.