Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sv mode - why?

I accidentally shot a few in Sv mode. This, per the manual, sets the correct shutter and aperture after you choose the ISO. How is this any different than P, where the camera sets the shutter and aperture after you set the ISO? I know you can go to Av or Tv directly from P, and can't from Sv. So, why Sv mode?

03-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a shift in the order of control, really. I believe that in Sv, the sensitivity is not constant and is the priority. Each time you change the ISO with an edial and the camera then sets the appropriate shutter and aperture. Hyperprogram, the ISO is set and remains a low priority without regard to shutter and aperture. You have to change the ISO.
Like two little puppies following you. You are the sensitivity setting. The puppies are shutter speed and aperture. They will follow your lead and take their movement cues from you. In P mode, shutter speed and aperture are more mature dogs, you are still ISO but you have to chase the dogs if you want to keep up.
03-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I find Sv mode indispensable when shooting in nighttime or very low light situations.
03-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Personally, I find Sv mode indispensable when shooting in nighttime or very low light situations.
There are times you don't care about shutter speed nor aperture... whatever EV it takes especially when you have the camera on tripod... but you do want to lock iso like blackcloudbrew said. This is the part which leads to concept of 'be interesting' and 'be different'. Of course, if you talk to the other guys... they will say 'what for?'.

03-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As Matt said.. it's Sensitivity Priority.
In the same way the other modes are Shutter Priority and Aperture Priority.
They take higher precedence over the other settings.
03-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sorry, nobody gets the gold ring yet :-)

Per the K20D manual...in Sv, "You can set the sensitivity to suit the brightness of the subject. The shutter speed and aperture are automatically set according to the selected sensitivity to obtain the appropriate exposure".

P (or Hyper-program) on the K20D sets the shutter and aperture based on the ISO you have set. (Not sure how it works with auto-ISO as I never use that). You can bias it toward high-speed, DOF or MTF (the "program line"), but the principle is the same.

I think TAv is what a poster above was referring to where you set the aperture and shutter, and the ISO is adjusted by the camera.

PS. I must press the OK button and move the front dial to change the ISO. Eliminating only the button press certainly can not be the raison d'etre for Sv...

So, why Sv?

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-16-2011 at 03:17 PM.
03-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Honestly, I don't know how else to explain it but why of it came to me around Xmas 2009 when I was out shooting lighted houses before Xmas. I just found that Sv mode gave me the option to control ISO in dark/light nighttime scenes. It's been a while since I used P mode and I have to actually go back and have a look at that, there is a difference between P and Sv modes though. Again, what Sv mode gave me is P mode 'like' operation but the manual override on ISO. I control the noise in the camera based on the scene. When I got it, I realized that it was a brilliant feature for specific usages. TAv is similar in that when you find what it will do for you (over all other modes) you 'get it.'

BTW, I initially used to shoot with P mode and auto ISO (100-400). Haven't used it in two years now so it's a bit hard to remember the specifics.

I will also say that using any mode over M mode, one has to keep in mind what the program line is set for in the custom menu. I think the choices are like normal, speed, dof, or MTF. The camera uses that as it's initially offered preference from the metered scene. Regardless of the mode, I do vary the custom program setting to assist my shooting. Hope that helps.

S-K - the why Sv mode to me is that you can control the ISO preference in the viewfinder with a wheel. That's why Sv.

03-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote

S-K - the why Sv mode to me is that you can control the ISO preference in the viewfinder with a wheel. That's why Sv.
That's fine, thanks. Just seems a lot of work went into eliminating a single button press to add another mode. And I can barely see the VF info, anyway, so I mostly use the top LCD :-)

I was just bummed I shot at ISO 540 for no reason...

Now, if someone can explain why the last choice on the RAW button sequence toggles between RAW and...RAW.