Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the additional suggestions. I will take a look at the A series Canons and the DiCapac housings. So many choices!!!

03-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
anyone on the forum have any experience with one of these?

GoPro HD HERO 960 Video Camera: Compact, Durable, Wearable HD Cam ($179) or HD HERO Naked Camera: #1 Wearable, Waterproof HD Sports Video Camera ($259 w/ better video)

I'm tempted myself, since I want to get into diving and sea kayaking now that I'm back home at the salt water's edge...

Jim
03-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leheath8 Quote
I am going on a 3-week trip to western Australia this summer and at least part of the trip will involve snorkeling (and maybe some shallow diving, but mostly snorkeling) on the shallow fringe reefs. I want to be able to take decent photos of the underwater life. I currently own a K-r which I absolutely love and will be taking on the trip for land photography.

I can't help you with the underwater gear, but I do live in Western Australia...
Silly question, but you realise that if you are coming over in your summer it will actually be our winter?
Saying that, it should still be OK but you will probably need a wet suit when you are swimming. It doesn't get super cold here in winter but the water will still be quite cold. The surf will probably be bigger too.

Where are you planning to go?
03-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Canon G9 with Diving housing (good to 130 feet)

03-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
cwood - great photo!

goddo - Yes, I am aware of the fact that it will be "winter" there when we visit (mid-August to Labor Day). However, my understanding is that the area where I intend to snorkel will have a water temperature of 23-24C which doesn't sound too cold to me! We will be starting in Darwin, driving via the Gibbs River Road to Broome, flying to Karatha, then driving down to Monkey Mia, Tom Price area, Exmouth, etc. before flying home from Karatha (via Perth, Brisbane, and LA!).
03-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leheath8 Quote
cwood - great photo!

goddo - Yes, I am aware of the fact that it will be "winter" there when we visit (mid-August to Labor Day). However, my understanding is that the area where I intend to snorkel will have a water temperature of 23-24C which doesn't sound too cold to me! We will be starting in Darwin, driving via the Gibbs River Road to Broome, flying to Karatha, then driving down to Monkey Mia, Tom Price area, Exmouth, etc. before flying home from Karatha (via Perth, Brisbane, and LA!).
Cool, sounds like you have planned it well actually.
I wouldn't be surprised that the water that far north will stay fairly warm. Should be a lot of potential for snorkelling up there, I will need to go myself! My comment was mainly thinking about the Perth region and the south west. Hope you enjoy your time here (in the other "WA" state ).

Will you be spending any time in Perth? Or just going through the airport?
I'll try to remember to look out for your shots later in the year.

cheers
03-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Unfortunately, our time limits won't allow us to spend any time in Perth on this visit.