Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Trip to Melbourne, where to go?

I am off to Melbourne for a road Trip starting tomorrow, it takes day and a half(co driver is slow) but decided I will be staying in Melbourne for an additional 2 days.

Any pointers as to where to go for photo opportunity and camera shops to drool over used/new equipment?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: not sure if this is the right sub forum for it, mod please move if inappropriate.

Last edited by elpolodiablo; 03-24-2011 at 07:24 PM.
03-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes lots of ideas

As for camera shops, there a 4 or so on Elizabeth street, west side, between Lonsdale and Little Bourke. Whatever you do don't miss going into Michaels Camera Store (cnr Elizabeth and Lonsdale) and go upstairs to look through their mini camera museum. Heading south JB is almost next door and has good prices (if you bargain). Teds is next, not much PEntax gear and a very anti-Pentax attitude, there's another 2 stores on opposite cnrs of little burke, the "Camera House" has a reasonable selection of Pentax gear and bodies and you can play with them (if you ask). Turn west up Little Burke and there's a store up 100m or so with a good selection of second hand Pentax gear including MF. Whatever you do though, don't get your sensor cleaned there

For day time photography here's a mini "walking tour" I do a couple of times every week.

Starting at the GPO, walk through bourke st mall, walk down union lane, walk west up little collins to Cafe Torte (take photo of cafe window, be brave), turn left down the block arcade. Zig-zag down there to collins St. Turn left and walk 50m to the pedestrian lights. Cross over and walk into the mall (has "international language book store" sign just inside entrance. Walk through there and you pop out into Centre Place. Walk though there and through Regraves lane until you pop out at Flinders street. Turn east and you can check out the station. Cross over to Fed square for photo opps. Cross over Flinders Street again and you hit St Pauls cathedral. Turn east up Flinders street for about 100m or so until you hit Hosier Lane. Walk up that to Flinders lane, then head east over Russell until ACDC lane. Phew, that's about it for now.

Apart form that there's queen vic markets (closed Mon & Wed) and Melbourne museum, and National Gallery of Victoria.

For night photography I love Docklands.

Here's some pics of the places I mentioned.

GPO

Union lane

Cafe Torta on Little Collins

Centre Place

Centre Place again

Flinders Street Station

Federation Square

St Pauls

Hosier Lane

and another Hosier Lane

ACDC lane

Melbourne Musuem

Docklands which is great at night....

I start here, looking back to the stadium

and from the same spot you cna shoot the Bolte Bridge

then go here: webb bridge

nice view from Webb bridge over south whalf

then: sea farers bridge

then to southbank

There you go, that enough for ya??

Last edited by twitch; 03-24-2011 at 08:25 PM.
03-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't forget the three amigos in Swanston Street https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/78029-melbourn...omparison.html

Richard.
03-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Yes lots of ideas

As for camera shops, there a 4 or so on Elizabeth street, west side, between Lonsdale and Little Bourke. Whatever you do don't miss going into Michaels Camera Store (cnr Elizabeth and Lonsdale) and go upstairs to look through their mini camera museum. Heading south JB is almost next door and has good prices (if you bargain). Teds is next, not much PEntax gear and a very anti-Pentax attitude, there's another 2 stores on opposite cnrs of little burke, the "Camera House" has a reasonable selection of Pentax gear and bodies and you can play with them (if you ask). Turn west up Little Burke and there's a store up 100m or so with a good selection of second hand Pentax gear including MF. Whatever you do though, don't get your sensor cleaned there

For day time photography here's a mini "walking tour" I do a couple of times every week.

Starting at the GPO, walk through bourke st mall, walk down union lane, walk west up little collins to Cafe Torte (take photo of cafe window, be brave), turn left down the block arcade. Zig-zag down there to collins St. Turn left and walk 50m to the pedestrian lights. Cross over and walk into the mall (has "international language book store" sign just inside entrance. Walk through there and you pop out into Centre Place. Walk though there and through Regraves lane until you pop out at Flinders street. Turn east and you can check out the station. Cross over to Fed square for photo opps. Cross over Flinders Street again and you hit St Pauls cathedral. Turn east up Flinders street for about 100m or so until you hit Hosier Lane. Walk up that to Flinders lane, then head east over Russell until ACDC lane. Phew, that's about it for now.

Apart form that there's queen vic markets (closed Mon & Wed) and Melbourne museum, and National Gallery of Victoria.

For night photography I love Docklands.

Here's some pics of the places I mentioned.

GPO

Union lane

Cafe Torta on Little Collins

Centre Place

Centre Place again

Flinders Street Station

Federation Square

St Pauls

Hosier Lane

and another Hosier Lane

ACDC lane

Melbourne Musuem

Docklands which is great at night....

I start here, looking back to the stadium

and from the same spot you cna shoot the Bolte Bridge

then go here: webb bridge

nice view from Webb bridge over south whalf

then: sea farers bridge

then to southbank

There you go, that enough for ya??
lol I've got to print this out and read on the road, that's like a ton of information to digest, thanks for taking the time to write up, much appreciated

03-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Thanks for the tip

Eric.
03-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok onto the next question, lens choice for the trip, I am thinking DA18-250+DA15+DA35Macro w/ my tripod ,do I need F 50 f1.7?
03-25-2011, 03:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

you're in a car, bring it all!

03-25-2011, 03:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Helping a mate moving to Melbourne that's why we are taking his car, I still have to fly back. Maybe I should take my brother's advice and go with a 15/35/100WR full prime setup and set myself a little bit of challenge