Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gtxtom Quote
I think I posted this at one point in the other camera section, but my GF's father has a D300s with $2000+ worth of lenses and asked me what the "f" was on his display ...
Well, to our store came on girl with D3s and said that this is broken cause it does terrible photos, well we then tried and guess what, the photos were excellent and ofc she just didn't know how to use it cause there is no auto so D300s is not the worst one

03-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #32
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dma110 Quote
Right hand holding the right side of the body, index finger on the shutter button, left hand holding the left side of the body, both wrists straining to hold that honking big glass
almost level. One guy, however, held his 1 to 1 1/2 feet from his face and used the liveview screen to compose. I'll bet his pics are tack sharp.
I must admit people watching (with cameras) has proven recently to be more entertaining than some of the events I've been asked to cover, but then each to their own.

World would be a boring place if we were all the same.
03-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe I'll see more canikon "pros" in action
People like you give the rest of us a bad name.
03-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I'm More curious about, is, Why should we care? I call Pentax the Smile and Nod brand. Let the rest chase the well advertised name brand gadgets and equipment and we'll take the photos. I will not soon forget the night of the special moon a week or so ago. Many photogs showed up with all sorts of cameras. I felt bad for him in a way, but the guy who arrived with the big Canon, had forgotten his memory card. Do you know how many photos he got?

I got several. The woman with her consumer grade Nikon got hers. The woman using her Cell phone got hers. The kid using the credit card sized P&S on a Tripod even got his.

03-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Did I tell you guys about the story the camera tech told me today? Stupid Canon user brought in a fancy shmancy 70-200mm f/2.8 lens because she poured cleaning fluid onto her upright lens and it drained into the interior compartments fogging her internal elements! Oh ho ho. Silly Canon users.

Oh wait, I was there because I screwed up cleaning my Pentax branded lens.

Seriously though, there seems to be a bit too much sniping going on in this thread. All makes and models have their contingent ignorant users. In the words of Vonnegut: So it goes.
03-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Alohadave
I stated earlier that this was idle musings waiting for the event
to open. Before that, I posted that I regretted even starting this
thread. If I have offended anyone I do appologize.
03-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Upon reflection, I may retract my apology. I have received
snide comments, been ridiculed, mocked, and disrespected
by Canon and Nikon users, simply because I choose to use
Pentax. I have not seen any canikon users rushing to my
defense. But now I give all pentaxians a bad name because I
posted idle musings. When the people who sneered at me
for my choice of cameras, then I will apologize to the canikon
folks who don't take the time to maximize their investment

03-28-2011, 07:42 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Veteran Member

Upon reflection, I may retract my apology. I have received
snide comments, been ridiculed, mocked, and disrespected
by Canon and Nikon users, simply because I choose to use
Pentax. I have not seen any canikon users rushing to my
defense. But now I give all pentaxians a bad name because I
posted idle musings. When the people who sneered at me
for my choice of cameras, then I will apologize to the canikon
folks who don't take the time to maximize their investment
An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind, and all that. I have never been ridiculed for using Pentax, except jokingly in good humor by experienced photographer friends who shoot Canon and don't REALLY care that much what equipment other people use, because they're happy with what they have and know that you are too. Perhaps I am in the fortunate minority.

When I bought into this brand it was because it met very specific needs I had at the time (namely small prime lenses, and small, ruggedized, weather-resistant bodies). Your gear doesn't really matter as long as it works for you, you enjoy your photography, and you get some pretty results to show people (or your clients, if you're working semi- or fully- professionally). Most real photographers are going to look at your photos, not your camera. Anyone who does otherwise, IMO, is either just a jerk or not much of a photographer -- in other words, it's water off the back.

You haven't seen Canikons jumping in to defend fledgling Pentax shooters probably because we're not on anyone's radar. I bet if you went into a Canon forum though and said you were having trouble figuring out what that fancy looking 'ƒ' stands for you'd be treated like any other dslr newbie. i.e. 2 parts ridicule, 1 part platform-agnostic assistance from Canon people.

On a final note, I do think you're right that you don't need to apologize again, as some people are just taking this too far. Be careful not to become one of them though -- some thread on the internet about something or other is hardly worth reflection that results in bitterness and feeling slighted.

Water off the back.
03-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
V5planet
Excellent post. Excellent points. Rep point to you
Closed Thread