Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2007, 09:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sarah,

I only took a look at a few of the pictures, and I have to say that they really aren't that bad.

A little bit of processing and they should be presentable

If you aren't happy with your own results please feel free to e-mail me one or 2 at stu at bcscenicwonder dot com, and I'll see what I can do.
I'll see what I can do, and if it works I'll let you know how I did it.
Although I don't use Photoshop, it would have to be with 1 of my own programs.

I have to do some business out of town tomorrow, so please don't worry if I don't get back to you until tomorrow night some time.

About the wedding.
Just relax, and study what other wedding photographers do.
It should give you some ideas. Feel free to be creative with a couple of shots, but for the most part I'd advise you to copy traditional wedding pictures. Especially at the important parts, like the kiss.

I'm sending you a PM to another forums wedding section.
I believe that you'll find some tips there, along with some good examples.

Sorry I can't say much about shooting in the studio, except a sleeping pet or a stuffed animal will often be the perfect model.
Plus if one of your friends has a baby why not ask them to come over for your first model shoot

And have fun.
Photography is one of the careers where every day (except for weddings and formal events) should be fun

Plus I also wanted to let you know that your not alone making mistakes.

I sort of messed up the other day, by going to a location when the sun was at the worst possible location.
I was asked to shoot a panoramic there, and had to put it off until Tuesday when I'm back in the area. Hopefully the sky will be right then

It's a lake that I've photographed many times as well, so I should have known better
Overconfidence played into that mistake.

I also don't know how many times that I've run out of battery life while photographing wildlife.
Sure I always have spare batteries, but it's a good idea to change them before you start shooting some things

10-29-2007, 03:45 AM   #17
Inactive Account

OMG...your going to shoot a wedding...you poor soul! j/k

In all seriousness, I have shot 5 weddings for friends and family. After the last one, I vowed to never do that again. It just wasn't worth the pain and suffering.

Here are a few tips for you however.

1. Use a very fast lens. A fast prime telephoto or a fast zoom lens such as an f/2.8 70-200 would do the trick for you. A lot of churches won't let you use a flash during the ceremony. Use of a slow lens will only induce blur city syndrome in all your moving action photos.

2. Use a flash bracket with an off shoe sync cord for those shots that allow you to use a flash gun. On top of that, get yourself a flash diffuser that attached to your flash gun. Get a Gary Fong light sphere, or a Lumiquest soft box, or other type of flash diffuser. In fact, I feel that your outdoor flash photography would have improved with off camera flash usage combined with a diffuser. I should add that the flash should always be positioned in such a way as to keep the flash level and above the camera. You want to hid that tall tell ugly shadow behind the subjects. The diffuser will also help. I wouldn't do any flash photography without this combo anymore. I have learned my lessons the hard way.

As for your photos, they are not all that bad. I think you are harder on yourself then you need to be. If it helps, maybe you can carry in your photo bag a checklist. This way, when you get on location, all you need to do is follow the steps that you carefully listed rather then run around like a chicken with its head cut off. I use a list quite often, especially when I get all pumped up about an assignment. It helps to center me and bring me down to earth if you will lol.
10-29-2007, 09:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is something very important to remember about shooting a wedding versus shooting portraits and events such as the day at the park/pumkin patch, etc. Most weddings have a storyline you're trying to capture and you need to figure out how you're going to do that.

Some photographers go for the traditional shots and tend to follow a script of sorts as to the shots they will capture. Others go for the photo journalistic angle and try to capture the moments as they happen. Some, as I tend to do, try to do a blend of both, though I heavily favor the unscripted, spontaneous photos. You need to find your groove.

In order to do this you must be ABSOLUTELY comfortable with your camera to the point where it's nearly second nature - know what you can do or what you need to get it done. Best advice I can give you there is practice practice practice. Get yourself some friends who are willing to model for you in exchange for a free 8x10 or the like and practice in various loations- after all, a wedding is hardly going to take place in a studio.

You also need to speak to the bride and find out what her plans for the day are, what kind of photos she would like to see, the location of the ceremony, reception, etc, so you can prepare.

Scout out the wedding ceremony/reception locations to get an idea of the lighting and prepare for possible problems you may face (lack of lighting, too much lighting, sun, backlighting, etc). Find out about any restrictions to the use of flash during the ceremony, particularly if it's a religious ceremony.

Grab plenty of spare batteries for the camera and flash(es), extra SD cards, photo back up system if possible...

There is so much more, but overall, be prepared!
10-30-2007, 12:13 AM   #19
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have posted this site a few times - but it is worth repeating. For a basic checklist of "must do" images look here:
Wedding Photography Checklist: A List of "Must Take" Wedding Photography Shots
and:
1. Get there on time or ahead of schedule.
2. Scout it out before - know where the power outlets are.
3. Check with the judge/pastor/rabi/priest/druid performing the act about what can an can not be shot.
4. Carry twice as many - fully charged - batteries as you think you will need.
5. Wear comfortable cloths.
6. Do not be "part" of the ceremony. You can not take images if you have to whip out your SLR from behind the lime green and puce taffita ruffled dress to get that "first kiss" shot.
7. Get your fee/gift etc. in writing - this is a business, act like it.
8. Do not eat too much.
9. Do not get drunk.
10. Ask who and where are the grandparents/parents/"other" relations.
11. Carry a notebook and write down names.
12. Have more SD cards than you will need. Keep the blank ones unlocked and in one pocket. Take out a unlocked card insert it and format it (don't think about it, just do it). When you remove a card - lock it and put it in another pocket - not the one with the blank cards. Repeat as necessary.
13. Check with the people getting married and ask who in the family hates who - and be sure to not have them "get next to each other and hug for the camera", you may not survive.
14. When people get in your way - ask them to move - if they don't ---- be insistant. If you act like a professional, you should be treated like a professional.

Last - try to relax - some times it is fun (the last wedding I did was for a co-worker nearly 30 years ago - still have bad dreams due to the attitude of some of the family members) some times it is a living hell. But at least this hell usually lasts for just a few hours.

The elitist - formerly known as PDL

Last edited by PDL; 10-30-2007 at 12:16 AM. Reason: spelling