Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I look at it this way, anyone can take decent pictures with the camera equipment these days. The ones that stand out usually have something special in that, either there appears to have a storyline behind it or something that appeals to the audience to take a second or third look. I have seen many that are in the category of proper lighting and technique but lack of "punch" or the "wow" factor. However, the "wow" factor is very subjective and it is something that one will develop over time.

I have taken up digital photography with more interest since I got my K100D years ago. Prior to that, like everybody did, I considered a picture is a picture, nothing special, and I always felt that they are usually flat whether the image is sharp or not. Now, I realize that there are so many factors that come to play to get the proper image that I want, especially in flash photography. Then, taking a picture is no longer just simple as holding the camera up and press the shutter.

Enjoy your journey of fine photography. You have the right tool to do it; and I know I did ever since I got my FA 31mm Ltd, then 77mm and 43mm.

04-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by r00t_b33r Quote
hey all,
i'm in a photo class and my teacher sat down with everyone in the class to discuss where they are in the class and their current grade. i am doing well in the class and she said that all of my photos are good, but they can be stronger. she said that despite the fact that my photos are well composed and technically strong, but they lack "me" in the photo... she said that i need to make the photo my own and show why i took the picture. to me she's saying that i need to put more emotional content into the shot...
so my question is to you guys, what do you do to "put" yourself in the picture? why do you take a photo of something? is there something intriguing or interesting that you want to specifically capture? i just wanna say thanks in advance, you guys are always kind enough to help.

PS- the more i shoot with my k-x, the more and more i like it... it's such an excellent camera!
Sounds like your teacher is behaving like a classic bully (Yes, women can be bullies, too).

Unless she can give you some specific steps that will show you how to add a little bit of your "me" to an image, I'd be polite the rest of the semester, do your remaining assignments as best you can, then RUN (don't walk) quickly away from this person... and stay away, forever. This person is poison.

Comments like the one you describe are designed to make you feel inadequate and uncomfortable. Plus, your being in a lesser position, you have no way to respond.

The take away from this for you should be to NEVER serve the type of poo you got from her to anyone (even your enemies). Do that and you will have a happy and creative life.

...my 2 cwnts... M
04-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I look at it this way, anyone can take decent pictures with the camera equipment these days.
If only that were true!
04-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
again, thanks for the input. the teacher can be harsh sometimes but i have seen my photography improve over the semester, probably due to the fact that she's a professional photographer and she has been featured in exhibits in nyc. i just couldn't wrap my head around the "me" in my pictures part. i did learn a lot about photoshop too, since this was the first time i've ever used photoshop. i like using lightroom for light to medium duty editing though because it's so quick, as well as arranging my photos into contact sheets.

04-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r00t_b33r Quote
again, thanks for the input. the teacher can be harsh sometimes but i have seen my photography improve over the semester, probably due to the fact that she's a professional photographer and she has been featured in exhibits in nyc. i just couldn't wrap my head around the "me" in my pictures part. i did learn a lot about photoshop too, since this was the first time i've ever used photoshop. i like using lightroom for light to medium duty editing though because it's so quick, as well as arranging my photos into contact sheets.
Good... Sounds to me like you have a handle on all of this...

I've found people frequently see their own faults in others. Your teacher may be personally struggling with the "me" thing, too. Keep in mind, she sees herself as the "pro" with "big" shows, after all. Perhaps, she is finally coming to grips with the fact her "me" is fake. She fears losing what makes her attractive to the NYC scene and is taking it out on a few defenseless students. Again, RUN (don't walk) as fast as you can away from this bullying jerk once the semester is over AND swear you will never be a bully or jerk to anyone you meet on your life's journey.

Back to your "me" question/issue. You might find a search on "Sam Abell" to produce some interesting reads. For example...

Light Scrape: Abell

The blog author is wrestling with the "me" demon and offers some useful personal insights.

Cheers... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 04-05-2011 at 08:24 AM.
04-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's OK for the teacher to be "harsh" as long as it's not personal and you don' t take it as such.

Most of us initially consider any kind of critique of our photos as harsh. My wife and business partner is a pro graphic designer and we work on multiple projects on a regular basis. As my creative director, she will bluntly tell me when my photos (selection, composition, editing, etc) aren't up to our standards, tells me to walk away from them (a.k.a. go take a nap), and come back to them later. I know she loves me

What your teacher is trying to inculcate in you is the need to express yourself in your photos. That is not always possible or even necessary, after all, a particular photo's purpose is not always just one dimensional. But as far as the class is concerned, as far as she is concerned, she wants to see more of a definite vision.

Sounds to me like you're doing well so far. Just keep shooting and you will find yourself. Just don't expect it to take a couple of courses before that happens. How long that takes is entirely up to you, and even then your vision, your "me" in your photos will change, grow, develop as your life experience changes, grows, develops.
04-05-2011, 04:05 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
...for what it's worth, any element that's in the viewfinder, ask yourself does it add to the final image, if not get rid of it or change the viewpoint...
This is a great piece of advice. The more choices you put into a photograph, the more it becomes "you". Subject matter, lighting, angle of view, 'vertical vs horizontal', backgrounds, colors, composition, etc...all help refine a photograph down into something that says, "Me!". I tell people that it's as simple as getting dressed in the mornings. First, you decide, "Boxers or briefs?"..."Socks or no socks?"..."Jeans, khaki pants, or slacks?"...etc, etc. By the time you've gotten dressed, you've developed your "look".

04-05-2011, 05:17 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
tao- that's a great piece of advice!
04-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Back to your "me" question/issue. You might find a search on "Sam Abel" to produce some interesting reads. For example...

Light Scrape: Abell
+1 on this, btw. I think Sam will eventually be considered one of the great photographic educators of our time. Taking a class with him in the late '80's was a turning point in my photographic journey, as well as my personal life. I've since met other photographers who had similar experiences.