Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Need another dslr body

In the next 6 months I'd like to add another dslr body to my kit. I own the k10d and I love it. I'm looking at the k100d as a second body because it is lighter than the k10d and from what I've heard performs better at higher iso. BUT it is close enough in price to the k10d that I love so much I am having a hard time deciding. Then there is rumor about something new in January. I doubt it will be a replacement/upgrade for the k10d, but ya never know.
What would I lose in picking up a k100d instead of another k10d?

I would love to hear your thoughts on my *predicament*

10-26-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Laree,

Been in the same boat - sold one K10D and kept my K100D as backup. There's no best answer, unless you believe you'll be doing a lot of low light shooting?? I do a fair bit of low light shooting, but I'm taking landscape images, so it's on a tripod, and therefore low ISO noise.

The other question to consider: is the handling and greater customization of the K10D worth it, or is the low light performance more important? That's what you need to answer - once you've come to a choice, then it's easy...

Regards,
Marc
10-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #3
and
Veteran Member

In the next 6 months, well you answered you own question, hold it off untill january then. Even if you dont decide to get any one of the new bodies, its likely that their announcement will drive down prices and put more used bodies on the second hand market.
10-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been thinking of a 2nd body, the K100D (Super?) for the same reasons. I've heard of the better "High ISO" behavior before but know nothing of it .

That begs the question that I hope someone knows though (OK, pardon I'm not performing a "Search" like maybe I should. ). If the K10D is set from 10MP to 6MP, does the K100D still perform better @ Low Light, High ISO (which I do a lot), or the same? Thanx much.

10-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
Syb
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
If the K10D is set from 10MP to 6MP
Can that be done easily? Does it fasten writing speed a little, or a lot?

Syb
10-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
That begs the question that I hope someone knows though (OK, pardon I'm not performing a "Search" like maybe I should. ). If the K10D is set from 10MP to 6MP, does the K100D still perform better @ Low Light, High ISO (which I do a lot), or the same? Thanx much.
I don't think it should affect the behaviour of the sensor. It's still the same sensor with the same density (and the size) of the pixels. So imo the high ISO performance is the same. So K100D should be tad better. Don't forget that you are getting an extra stop with K100D too. It goes up to ISO 3200! But the noise becomes more of an issue...

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Can that be done easily? Does it fasten writing speed a little, or a lot?

Syb
Yes it can. It's simple setting in shooting menu of the camera. The same way as K100D can be set to 6,4 or 1.5 mpx. And it should affect writing speed. You got smaller files to write so it should take less time. BUT: swetching to less mpx than the sensor is specified for, you are sacrificing Raw format. At least K100D works only with Jpg's on this basis....
10-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

I nearly forgot

Oh, I really nearly forgot.
As for the second body. If you are bound to wait for the six months, don't worry yet. You'll see what will be the next offerings. How much money you will want to spend, so on, and on...
If it was for now, I'd recommend K100D or Super. It's great camera. And you won't loose much, compared to K10D. If anything, you'll gain something bit smaller, with reportedly better out of camera jpg. With super you'll keep SDM and antidust...
But anyway, you'll see in six months... let us know for sure

10-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #8
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I don't think it should affect the behaviour of the sensor. It's still the same sensor with the same density (and the size) of the pixels...
What I meant was when the output is a lower resolution, there's an averaging taken across multiple pixels. The idea behind my statement, which I bring up not as an invention of mine but from having heard it mentioned on a number of boards, is that averaging of the spurious signals across multiple sensor pixel samples nets a lower overal average noise level, (where an average of multiple samples is always lower then the peak of any one sample). As long as adjacent sensor pixels do not have equally high spurious noise in, thereby reinforcing the noise, the overal noise from interpolated pixels will thus be averaged lower. So by all this I mean, I was asking the question assuming this context above; and whether the K10D @ 6mp is 'basically' the same everything, sensor and image processing, as the K100D (minus the extra high ISO stop the K100D offers).
10-27-2007, 03:26 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I can't say much in the K10D area I have only been able to use it a few times, so I don't know all the functions and settings. (or the In's and outs ) I have wanted a second body for about a year now (I have the istDL) I was looking at B&H for the K100D and watching hoping the price and camera would last until Christmas. (No luck all they have for the K100 is the super for a $149.00 more) I put a wanted to buy in the forum and got several responses. I did finally buy the K100D from a forum member in Philly ( and again thanks ED) the k100D has everything I wanted (I didn't need 10mp for what I do) I needed SR and the 11 point AF. Last weekend I finally got my wish and since have been having a great time with the k100 and the DL. I can honestly say that no matter which (K10 or K100 Or the new offering in Jan.) a second body is an answer to a prayer. No more trying to change lenses fast for a shot. When you need two focal lengths You have them. Quick and easy.
I also have started my wife (who only put up with my photography) down the pentax road to LBA by teaching her how to use a DSLR and going over the composition and lighting. She now understands the joy and the feeling of a photo shoot and rushes me to get the pictures into the computer so we can discuss each one. (OH GOD I created a Monster. )
10-27-2007, 06:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Back to the OP's question I decided that I wanted the *istD as a K10D backup. The main reasons are, that it is basically laid out like the K10D for shooting controls. Thumb wheels etc. Also that it can work in TTL and P TTL, better for IR and low light ISO.

So when I switch bodies, say at a wedding where one camera has a zoom and the other has a fast prime, I don't have to think about the controls very much. I have a K110D (that was given to my son) and it's a great camera but in a hurry I was finding myself looking for a control button/setting that wasn't there.

TTL. I have a pair of AF400T's left from my film gear that are the best flashes ever built by Pentax. Since the K10D can't support them I wanted a body that would. I'm looking forward to being able to use these excellent units again. Might even look for a AF080 as well for better macro shooting.

Of course the new body in January will have TTL now that I bought a used *istD.....
10-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for posting your thoughts and comments.
I really appreciate the information on the *stD Peter. I've always liked the images I've viewed that were taken with that camera. Something about them always attracts me. That might just be the way for me to go.
Oh the big thing (to me) is the fact that all of Pentax dslr use AA batteries except the k10d. I really don't like the idea of using AA at all!
Fortunately I have some time to decide. I would like to get the second body by April, or at least the beginning of May. I'm going to be shooting my oldest son's wedding at the end of June 08. Anybody in the San Diego area want to help. ;-)