Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2011, 02:47 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best used TTL type flash for K-m

Hello all

I have a question regarding a flash for the K-m D-slr. What used model it the best buy? I am using my old Vivitar 283 right now but would like a model that can make use of the K-m's TTL flash metering. I am looking at something that not too much to buy.

stevbike

04-02-2011, 04:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
look at the metz range good solid units less that pentax units and work just as well.
04-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
Do you have any model numbers that I should be looking at?
04-03-2011, 03:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

go look at the Metz website 5 models from basic to full house it depends what you want I use the 48 [3 of them] one on the camera and 2 on stands Metz Flashguns
look for the new fully dedicated models section.

04-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
go look at the Metz website 5 models from basic to full house it depends what you want I use the 48 [3 of them] one on the camera and 2 on stands Metz Flashguns
look for the new fully dedicated models section.
Thanks, I will look into it.

I also have Acheiver 630 TTL flash I bought 24 years ago for my SF10. It has a removable hot shoe part. Is there any replacement parts to update this flash to my K-m. I tried this flash with the current hot shoe contact plate and is does not work.
04-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevbike Quote
Hello all

I have a question regarding a flash for the K-m D-slr. What used model it the best buy? I am using my old Vivitar 283 right now but would like a model that can make use of the K-m's TTL flash metering. I am looking at something that not too much to buy.

stevbike
Steve

Just a small point but there is some confusion for new DSLR users and flash, and camera terminology.

TTL stands for Through The Lens and measures the flash intensity reflected off the film plane (or sensor) on cameras that support it. For pentax DSLRs, that means the *istD, DS, and DS2. None of the other (later) models of pentax DSLRs support TTL flash,

Later DSLRs use P-TTL, Not sure (depending on who you talk to) whether P stands for pentax or Pre-flash, or Predictive, but regardless, P-TTL is a different technology.

For P-TTL, the camera uses the built in metering sensor, which measures ambient light, plus the light from the preflash, and then calculates the flash duration needed to attain the exposure. Flashes that are P-TTL compatible are much newer and generally (but not always) not compatible with older cameras and visa versa,

You need to get a P-TTL compatible flash, or one that has its own sensor for measuring flash intensity in "AUTO " mode
04-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for this. I guess my old Vivitar 283 will be used for a while. I will be looking for a P-TTL flash unit down the road.

04-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

If you want an inexpensive, more advanced flash than your Vivitar, look at the Pentax AF280T which you can find used. It's less powerful however (your vivitar is probably among the most powerful flashes ever.

If you want P-TTL, the cheapest right now is probably the Sigma 530 ST. It will have features comparable to your vivitar, plus P-TTL, a zoom head and an AF-Assist lamp. All for about 130$ right now, it's being discontinued.
04-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip on the flash. When money permits, I will look into getting one. In the mean time the Vivitar is old but still holding up well.