Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which bokeh do you prefer?
I think bokeh 1 is the best 2457.14%
I think bokeh 2 is the best 1433.33%
I think bokeh 3 is the best 49.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2007, 06:33 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
While I've been playing around with photography for over 20 years, bokeh is not a term I've come across until I joined this forum. That's why I joined a forum, to learn new things.
So, if I'm understanding the term correctly, bokeh is the comparative depth of field for lenses of comparable focal length, aperature, etc. Is that a fair statement?
By the way, I liked photo #1. The background was the least distracting and highlighted the flower better.

10-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
I have to agree with Stewart, in as far as taking shots for customers. Even in most competitions, or Art shows I have never heard a judge say I think the photograph has nice Bokeh In fact I think very few (other than the photographers) know what they are looking at. People look at a shot and either it appeals to them or it doesn't.
It may be that many people don't know the term "bokeh". That doesn't make it an invalid method of giving critique. It's simply a term used to describe the quality of an out of focus area. Compare a photo with smooth OOF areas (ie: smooth bokeh) to a photo with harsh, distracting OOF areas (poor or rough bokeh) - you need a term to describe the difference. There is an obvious difference between the two, and it affects the look of an image. One is more pleasing to the eye, and is therefore more desireable!

Mike
10-29-2007, 06:51 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Myltlpny Quote
So, if I'm understanding the term correctly, bokeh is the comparative depth of field for lenses of comparable focal length, aperature, etc. Is that a fair statement?
Not quite, bokeh is a subjective evaluation of the out of focus patterns and effects of a lens. For example, a mirror lens has unique bokeh where out of focus points show up as donuts due to the blockin gout of the center of the objective lens/mirror with the secondary mirror.
QuoteQuote:
By the way, I liked photo #1. The background was the least distracting and highlighted the flower better.
Me too. fade to dark gives little distraction, and good contrast to the light image
10-29-2007, 09:14 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess I'm in the minority. I like #3 because I see more detail in the flower.

10-29-2007, 09:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Not quite, bokeh is a subjective evaluation of the out of focus patterns and effects of a lens. For example, a mirror lens has unique bokeh where out of focus points show up as donuts due to the blockin gout of the center of the objective lens/mirror with the secondary mirror.
Me too. fade to dark gives little distraction, and good contrast to the light image
I believe originally the term specifically referred to the qualities of out-of-focus foreground elements, but is clearly used more generally now.

It's all very subjective, but in general, the more circular the better (more aperture blades). "Donut-like" circles in bokeh are considered bad; flat, even circles are the ideal. Distracting and jittery is definitely bad.
10-31-2007, 05:04 PM   #21
m8o
Veteran Member

While I understand the formal definition being conveyed. And while I understand how it differs from how I and many others 'use' it, one can't help but go with the tide where the vernacular has taken on the meaning of subjective and pleasing bg (or fg) that makes the subject 'pop'. I notice a contrast in acceptance of that usage between some here, and DGrin, where you'll find a thread contributed to by many professionals who make a living in nature and wildlife photgraphy...with some of the most amazing pictures I've seen. (granted, some in the midle of the 2nd page didn't quite 'get' it)
Your best bokeh!
No strict objections to its use on the basis of formal semantics there...

Last edited by m8o; 10-31-2007 at 05:12 PM.
11-01-2007, 12:49 AM   #22
Syb
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
...with some of the most amazing pictures I've seen.
Your best bokeh!
I second that. Those shots are amazing! Birds while flying having dinner, or sitting and looking at their next thing to eat. Thanks a lot for posting that one. Though i think the less detail there is in a bokeh, the better it is - especially when the bokeh is the result of a lens construction, instead of something in the background - that means that there are better and worse bokeh's... but the overall background blur quality is verrrrrry high in that thread.