Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which bokeh do you prefer?
I think bokeh 1 is the best 2457.14%
I think bokeh 2 is the best 1433.33%
I think bokeh 3 is the best 49.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Poll: Let's talk about bokeh

Here are three images of the same flower. They were taken with the same lens, same setting, only from a slightly different angle, resulting in completely different images. The difference factor here is the bokeh.

The question is: is one shot BETTER than another? Or is bokeh a matter of personal taste?

My way of investigating is to ask you all to tell me which one you like best. Because if we all turn out to prefer the same image; there is a collective taste, that may be called quality.

Please do not comment the lack of tacksharpness in the flower. I know it could have been better, but I shot these quickly so we could discuss the background. Thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
10-27-2007, 11:14 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I think you are confusing background with bokeh. To compare bokeh properly, the background would have to be the same, with the variable factor being the lens, focal length, or aperture. You have changed the background, so that is the factor that you are asking for discussion.

For the record, the green background works best with the flower.
10-27-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to agree with Mike. The bokeh is very similar (except for color) in all three shots.

NaCl(and I like the dark background the best)H2O
10-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It takes more than one flower for a bokeh

Just kidding - I like the second one with a hint of an oof house to add some interest without distracting from the flower. just my 2 cents

10-27-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would have to agree with all the other comments, you are not comparing bokeh but background.

With respect to the photo's, my own personal; preference is the first shot. I prefer for light objects, that the background fades to black (or at least darker, highlighting the foreground.

If the flower was a deep red, I might prefer the last photo, again to have the flower etand out.
10-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
m8o
Veteran Member

If #2 is the only one you posted, I would have thought it to be a very nice pic & nice bokeh. However next to #1 and #3, I definitely prefer them. Only reason being the darker band in the middle and verticle line up @ the top (tree trunk?) of #2 doesn't fit the scene as well as the uniform backgrounds of the other two.
10-27-2007, 01:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

As others have already noticed, I think that you have misunderstood the meaning of bokeh. Bokeh or "out of focus rendering" refers to optical quality of a specific lens, not simply blurred background regardless of a lens used.

Strictly speaking, correct comparison could be done only for different lenses of the same focal length, set at the same aperture and with identical background (tripod required). Here is the article you may find interesting:

Bokeh

10-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #8
Syb
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies! They are very helpful and educational. I think indeed I tried to discuss the background. However, that is situated in the blur that is often referred to as the bokeh, or am I still misunderstanding?

So thanks for helping cure my misunderstanding. The interesting thing remains that a shot from almost the same place can make such a big difference. One step more to the left=no more tree in the background blur. Through your knees: sky background. Stand 0,5 m higher= only grass background.

Or am I talking composition now? I guess not: the composition of the pics seem similar to me.

10-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
However, that is situated in the blur that is often referred to as the bokeh, or am I still misunderstanding?
The blur itself is not bokeh. The type of that blur is bokeh.

QuoteQuote:
Or am I talking composition now? I guess not: the composition of the pics seem similar to me.
Yes you do. Since you play with relative placement of foreground and background objects you are effectively talking about the composition, although your background object is extremely blurred and it is easier to think about it simply as a "background". Thus, your initial question should have been: "which out of focus (blurred) background do you prefer" (or something like that).

Besides, quality of bokeh can not be determined from your photos.
10-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Here's something that might help. The reviewer discusses the various lenses and bokeh charateristics of each. The test shots show the differences between lenses and at different f stops. As Ivan said above, you can't determine the quality of the bokeh from your shots. If the background were more complex with some varied colours, then you could look at it and say: 'it's smooth' or 'harsh' etc. If you look at the link you'll see what I mean.

Bokeh Test

BTW for background, #1
10-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Here are three images of (snip)

Well, since you asked for opinions, I'll give you an alternative one. You forgot one option in your poll - who cares! Good bokeh. Poor bokeh. Hogwash! In nearly thirty years of photography, never once has a customer, client, friend, or family member discussed bokeh or the character of blur in an image. In my opinion, this whole bokeh silliness is only of interest to detailed obsessed camera users with way too much time on their hands.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 10-28-2007 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Softened the harsh tone a bit.
10-28-2007, 12:03 AM   #12
Syb
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@ Stewart: .. but they must have said something about the background they got, didn't they? It's amazing how different a background in a photo may look from the real place. (=compared to what the natural eye sees)
10-28-2007, 01:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Unless I messed up the background (distracting background, etc), I don't remember anyone ever saying anything about a blurred background. Most tend to focus on the subject instead, which is the purpose of a blurred background. I also tend to crop such images pretty heavily (letting the subject dominate even more), so there usually isn't a lot of background remaining for anyone to say much about. Of course, we're only talking about images with blurred backgrounds here, not scenics, scenes where the background is part of the subject, or whatever.

stewart
10-28-2007, 04:22 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I have to agree with Stewart, in as far as taking shots for customers. Even in most competitions, or Art shows I have never heard a judge say I think the photograph has nice Bokeh In fact I think very few (other than the photographers) know what they are looking at. People look at a shot and either it appeals to them or it doesn't.
10-28-2007, 04:37 AM   #15

Just me, but I never gave it much thought or worried about it.