Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 06:12 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frankly if there is a shutdown and it's still going on the first week of May, twitch will have all kinds of stuff to shoot... protesters and the like will be all over the Mall by that time and closed museums will be the least of anyone's worries.

Just remembered another great place to shoot... The George Washington Masonic Memorial Temple in Alexandria, VA (just across the Potomac River). It's not government run so will not be affected by any shutdowns. Take the Blue or Yellow lines of the Metro towards VA and get off at the King Street Station. Amazing place.

Last edited by MRRiley; 04-07-2011 at 01:21 PM.
04-06-2011, 06:20 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Frankly if there is a shutdown and it's still going on the first week of May, twitch will have all kinds of stuff to shoot... protesters and the like will be all over the Mall by that time.
Agreed. If there is a shutdown, which isn't certain at this point, I really don't think it will last a month and go into May.
04-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Besides the lunch there is another reason to visit the Museum of The American Indian around lunchtime. Their atrium is HUGE and has an oculus in the ceiling so there is a short time at mid-day when you get great shafts of sunlight (and rainbows)

Mike that second shot is amazing!
04-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #34

meh it depends. I generally attempt to avoid people in great masses. I find the intelligence, over all manners and common sense factor tend to abate when people multiply.

As for the length of it..... Well there are essential personal that will continue to work and ones that may be brought back. However areas like Parks and Museums could take longer.

I dont see it lasting a month but I never thought gas prices would get to almost 5$ a gallon either....

04-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #35

I would also advocate for the National Cathedral. If you can take one of the open top bus tours that leave out of Union Station. You can get on and off as much as you want and it gives you a good overview of the city (including a way to get to the Cathedral).

Try to get tickets for the Naval Observatory, it has some neat 19th century equipment.
04-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Agreed. If there is a shutdown, which isn't certain at this point, I really don't think it will last a month and go into May.
Personally, I doubt it would last to April 18th, no way are they going to give anyone a tax holiday. It's usually 4/15 but has been extended to 4/18 because of Emancipation Day holiday in DC. So 4/18 is the first business day after 4/15. Somehow I doubt that uncle sam is going to be closed for business on it's most lucrative day.

NaCl(even if it shuts down it will be reopened by Tax day)H2O
04-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #37
Veteran Member

By way of shutdown fears I found this Washington Post article that lists several interesting locations regardless of whether there is a shutdown or not...

Worried a shutdown will thwart your sightseeing plans? Try these alternatives. - The Washington Post

Mike

04-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Personally, I doubt it would last to April 18th, no way are they going to give anyone a tax holiday. It's usually 4/15 but has been extended to 4/18 because of Emancipation Day holiday in DC. So 4/18 is the first business day after 4/15. Somehow I doubt that uncle sam is going to be closed for business on it's most lucrative day.

NaCl(even if it shuts down it will be reopened by Tax day)H2O
They dont have to shut down the IRS. They can be kept open with a skeleton crew just like "essentials".

@MRR
Thanks for that link I forgot about the Newseum (which was in Arlington my last visit).
04-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aknot Quote
They dont have to shut down the IRS. They can be kept open with a skeleton crew just like "essentials".

*snip*
Maybe yes, maybe no, but I wouldn't expect a single rebate check to be sent out. In addition I'm sure that literally millions would argue "but I thought the govmint was shut down!"

NaCl(not even the IRS would want to go thru that nightmare)H2O
04-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Mike that second shot is amazing!
Thanks! It was a magical moment.

--------------------------------------------

As for the possible shutdown, lets try to go easy here... LOL I don't want to have to move this thread to "Politics and Religion."

Last edited by MRRiley; 04-06-2011 at 12:56 PM.
04-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Personally, I doubt it would last to April 18th, no way are they going to give anyone a tax holiday.
I guess we'll see one way or another over the next couple weeks :ugh:

Turns out I still have to go to work either way; was told we're not affected by the shut down. Oh well, just when it was getting nice outside and a couple weeks off would have been nice
04-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just wanted to say thanks everyone for your ideas. The midday sun in the Indian museum looks awesome, love the photos MRRiley!

I really hope the shutdown doesn't happen though, I had no idea that was brewing.

I'm compiling a list of the places to go based on all these suggestions, so I have some sort of itinery day by day otherwise I'm going to be like a deer in the headlights when I get there I imagine.

Thanks again everyone for your help
04-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Just wanted to say thanks everyone for your ideas. The midday sun in the Indian museum looks awesome, love the photos MRRiley!

I really hope the shutdown doesn't happen though, I had no idea that was brewing.

I'm compiling a list of the places to go based on all these suggestions, so I have some sort of itinery day by day otherwise I'm going to be like a deer in the headlights when I get there I imagine.

Thanks again everyone for your help
I look forward to seeing the photos you bring home with you!
04-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #44
mel
Veteran Member

Just remembered another great place to shoot... The George Washington Masonic Memorial Temple in Arlington, VA (just across the Potomac River). It's not government run so will not be affected by any shutdowns. Take the Blue or Yellow lines of the Metro towards VA and get off at the King Street Station. Amazing place.

Gasp!! Mikey shame shame. That's Alexandria, not Arlington!!! (I used to work in old town Alexandria which is rather cool too, so if you find yourself there take a wander toward the river. Christchurch is worth a looksee)
04-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Gasp!! Mikey shame shame. That's Alexandria, not Arlington!!! (I used to work in old town Alexandria which is rather cool too, so if you find yourself there take a wander toward the river. Christchurch is worth a looksee)
Mea Culpa... It is indeed Alexandria... LOL