about it is really standard and very $ friendly check it
out and tell me what you think?

B&H Wish List\

And with the light kit a rebate for a third light is available

10-27-2007, 11:34 PM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think I would go with AlienBees if I was getting an amateur studio setup... but they are more costly, thats true...
10-27-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ya but i do like there colors I am
at the mercy of colors I only eat things that
have a nice color and buys things that
look good and maybe dont perform better
than those that dont look to good.

and can someone tell me if this lens fits on a k100d without any expensive
adapters or whatever here is the link Pentax | Normal SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens | 20817 | B&H

Last edited by NYpHoToGraphEr; 10-28-2007 at 12:52 AM.
10-28-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NYpHoToGraphEr Quote
ya but i do like there colors I am
at the mercy of colors I only eat things that
have a nice color and buys things that
look good and maybe dont perform better
than those that dont look to good.

adapters or whatever here is the link Pentax | Normal SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens | 20817 | B&H
You bet it'll fit - it is a K mount.

10-28-2007, 05:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I posted this in my introduction post but nobody answered me so,
I made this wish list and I want to know what you guys think
about it is really standard and very $ friendly check it
out and tell me what you think?

B&H Wish List\

And with the light kit a rebate for a third light is available

If you dont mind shopping on ebay you can get all the things your looking at for less than half of the prices listed. I have bought several items from Amvona.com on ebay. Amvona has a web store but if you shop the auctions at ebay you will be able to pick up thier items for well below their listed retail. I have picked up several muslin backdrops for about $25 to $30 each. They keep selling the same items over and over again. Dont get caught up in a bidding war. Just be patient and you'll wind up with a great deal.
10-28-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice lots of help.
10-29-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

As somebody who set up a beginners studio recently, please allow me to give you the benefit of my experiences.

First, understand that studio equipment, especially the lights, are a system, just like your camera. Accessories for one brand, do not necessarily work with another. And trust me, you WILL be buying accessories. "Studio Gear Syndrome" is as bad as LBA.

First, make sure your lights all use the same accessory mount, AND there are plenty of accessories available in stock at your favorite dealers for that brand. Living in metro NY, you are lucky in that regard. Lots of good pro photo shops.

My B & H Imapct kit included 2 300WS lights and 1 160WS light. The 2 300's use a Bowens mount, and the 160 uses an Elinchrom. This is bad in that I have to duplicate things like softboxes or filter holders or barn doors for each type (or get an adapter if they are available). The second problem is that neither of these brands are that popular in the states, so accessories can be hard to find.

If I had it to do over, I would not buy a ready made kit. I'd buy individual components. It might be more expensive up front, but more economical in the long run. I would also recommend that your lights be all the same power. It just simplifies the math when figuring out your lighting ratios.

Start small and build up. Just research your system choice first and stick with it.

I noticed your choice of gear is continuous lighting. Probably because of a low initial price if I'm guessing right. It is a false economy. Umbrellas and softboxes, and gel filters, or anything you put in front of the lights, all need to be rated for hot lamps. Rated accessories are more expensive.

Here is another option for you. Go over to Strobist.com and read the site thoroughly.

For close to what you wish to spend on hot lamps, you can set up a system consisting of a pair of Vivitar 285HVs, stands, a couple umbrella adapters, a couple of shoot through umbrellas w/black out covers (they double as makeshift softboxes, an optical slave and the Pentax off camera PC adapters and a long PC cord. You can buy the Pocket Wizards when you get some cash. This set up has the advantage of being expandable, portable, and usable. To expand you just need another 285, cheap optical slave, and a stand. You can also make a lot of your own accessories, like barn doors and snoots. A little Velcro goes a long way. Foam core board makes great reflectors. I use white silver and gold. The only real downside to this is the 285's longer recycle time compared to studio units. Still, great for learning.

The links below are some examples. You could probably do better in price if you searched harder. This outfit would run you $330.00 or so. A bit more up front, but infinitely more versatile. It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I'm just trying to get you to think of alternative possibilities.

Just my thoughts on the matter. Hope this helps some.

Vivitar | 285HV Auto Flash | 233965 | B&H Photo Video
Impact | Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit | B&H Photo Video
Hama | Hot Shoe Adapter 1 | HA-6951 | B&H Photo Video
Paramount | PC Male to PC Male Cord | PMB6C | B&H Photo Video
Hama | Hot-Shoe Slave | HA-6967 | B&H Photo Video

10-29-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow thanks a lot roscot you have been a great help.
11-28-2007, 04:30 AM   #9

I think the best light you can choose for portrait also in Studio is a natural window light, filtered through a white tent.
The result is a soft, widespread light like a bank. You can also place a white panel on the opposite side of the window.

This is the light I prefer for portrait.
11-29-2007, 12:29 AM   #10
PDL
Pentaxian

Pentax brand K mount lens - they all work on Pentax DSLR

snip
Yes, this lens works on the SF-1 (35mm SLR), *ist Ds and K10D. Since the K100D is the direct off spring of the *ist Ds - no problem. (I bought my FA 50mm f1.4 in early summer)

The Elitist - Formerly known as PDL
11-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #11

I just attended a seminar on studio glamour/fashion photography with my photo club. The presenter was Art Liem, he shoots out of NY and was really an excellent presenter on the topic. One thing he mentioned that I thought was interesting was that when selecting a background always buy a black one. As it turns out with black he said you can photoshop the background to be anything you want later.
11-30-2007, 01:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bonfa Quote
I think the best light you can choose for portrait also in Studio is a natural window light, filtered through a white tent.
The result is a soft, widespread light like a bank. You can also place a white panel on the opposite side of the window.

This is the light I prefer for portrait.
I'll second this with one caveat. I live in the pacific northwest (washington state), and it's too dark for good natural light by 3 this time of year, and the sun is down around 4:30. And that's IF it's not already cloudy and dark for the entire day anyways. In these circumstances, I vote for alienbees.