Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can I restore EXIF data?

I've been using and HDR program for a few shots and the only flaw I see is that when it saves the shot, the EXIF data is lost. The program's help file tells me that this will happen with the version I'm using. I'll upgrade the software for future work but I'm interested in some of the shots I've already worked on. Is there a program or method that can restore the data to the shot after saving it?

10-28-2007, 11:27 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Read, Write and Edit Meta Information

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Is there a program or method that can restore the data to the shot after saving it?
ExifTool by Phil Harvey
10-28-2007, 11:28 PM   #3
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can use PPL to extract the EXIF information out into a spreadsheet. After the editing is completed, there are EXIF editors that will allow you to "modify" the EXIF of the resulting file. My experience with these programs - one from OPanda and one from hungery (I think) is that the "free" ones are manually intensive.

You might do a search here - some people have used a PERL tool to pull EXIF and replace EXIF information in images. The Linux users here should have the best practical knowledge on how to do this - since the PS series of software products do not run on Linux (or I don't think they do).
Edit = the PERL tool mentioned in Mr. The Guy's post is the one I was thinking of.

Opanda.com - Professional Photography Software (DigitalFilm, PowerExif, IExif, PhotoFilter)
:: kiwi's digital experiment ::

The elitiest - formerly known as PDL

Last edited by PDL; 10-28-2007 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Added comment
10-29-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks guys. I found Phil Harvey's, either didn't work on Vista or I just can't figure it out at all. The Opanda program was easy to load and a snap to figure out how to reload EXIF data to a shot.

The reason I wanted this was I had some shots that were edited in either an HDR program or run through Neat image. Both don't save the EXIF data when you are running the freeware versions. So with Opanda I can go back to the original shot and reload the EXIF data as it was. Then it can be accepted by the Pentax gallery or any other site that needs the info. Including here when others want to see the shooting info.

Very cool. Thanks for the info and quick replies. I tried Opanda, tested a shot on the Pentax Gallery and it worked just fine.

10-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can also use jhead:

Exif Jpeg header and thumbnail manipulator program

for this. (Use the -te option.)