Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2011, 02:01 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
There is no explanation for most of what I do.
We know that Jeff.

Mine isn't a he but doesn't have a name yet. I just call her, her because she's smarter than most men I know.

04-15-2011, 02:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Can't remember the names, and can't name them all..
They won't answer me when I am asking what's their name.

I use now the 'creator' name of lenses: K50f1.4, A28f2.8, etc. For the twins, I call them A50f1.7a and A50f1.7b, where a is the first born (serial#). Same as flashes. All the twins do have minor distinct signs if I really look after those ;-)

Batteries too are organized into sets of 4 or sets of 2 to prolong the lifespan of them.
04-15-2011, 02:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Can't remember the names, and can't name them all..
They won't answer me when I am asking what's their name.

I use now the 'creator' name of lenses: K50f1.4, A28f2.8, etc. For the twins, I call them A50f1.7a and A50f1.7b, where a is the first born (serial#). Same as flashes. All the twins do have minor distinct signs if I really look after those ;-)

Batteries too are organized into sets of 4 or sets of 2 to prolong the lifespan of them.
For a sec I thought you were going to tell you had given names to the batteries
04-15-2011, 02:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KarenH Quote
For a sec I thought you were going to tell you had given names to the batteries
oh yes, but a more scientific name-type: A1,A2,A3,A4, B1,B2... I think I have like 12 sets of 4, and 5 sets of 2... When one of them died, the set of 4 degrades to be set of 2... 70+ in good shape ;-)

04-15-2011, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #20
fey

My current camera(a stupid Fuji bridge) is called Beastie, because when they first saw him my friends said, and I quote, "Holy sh*t, what a fu*king beast!"

I am debating whether to call my upcoming white K-r Beastie 2.0 (excuse the geeky teen, please) or to think of a name when I get him(maybe a name will just jump out at me when I open the box). Either way, it will be a he, so I can baby him and love him and kiss him without feeling like more of a weirdo than I already am.
04-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fey Quote
I am debating whether to call my upcoming white K-r Beastie 2.0 (excuse the geeky teen, please) or to think of a name when I get him(maybe a name will just jump out at me when I open the box). Either way, it will be a he, so I can baby him and love him and kiss him without feeling like more of a weirdo than I already am.
Too late. You bought a Pentax. That already makes you a weirdo..... just like the rest of us Show us some photos from your new camera when you get it so we may bask in your weirdness.

Welcome aboard.

04-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No name for the K-x, other than K-x.

My lenses on-the-other-hand...those all get names.

I've got creamy (FA 43mm) and dreamy (CV Nokton 58mm) with me today.

-W

04-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #23
fey

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Too late. You bought a Pentax. That already makes you a weirdo..... just like the rest of us Show us some photos from your new camera when you get it so we may bask in your weirdness.

Welcome aboard.

Unfortunately, the basking will have to wait. I am looking to get my baby in May, when my money agrees with the price of the two lens kit.

Thanks for the welcome! I am a Pentaxian in mind, although currently not in camera. I am weird in many other areas though, not only brand choice!
04-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I currently possess 40 cameras, plus another 35 that I've sold, plus another 10 that I've lost somehow. This does not include webcams, doorcams, backupcams, etc. I have not and do not and will not name them. I possessed an old Bessamatic for a few weeks, and I referred to it as BESSIE to the buyer, but that was just marketing. I suppose I couol call my two Argus C3's OLD BRICK and OLDER BRICK, but I don't. I suppose I could call my K20D GENTLE BEN because it's such a bear, but I don't. And I could call my failed Sony DSC-W7 YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF SH!T but I don't.

No names! Why not?

1) I'd probably forget the names unless they were tattooed on the cams.
2) Nobody around me would know what the f*ck I was talking about.
3) I'm a cold, insensitive brute, unsuited to such intimate relationships.

I don't name my guitars, banjos, lutes, mandolins, synths, etc. I don't name my radios, AV gear, calculators, flashlights, etc. I do name my computers and drives and printers, to facilitate network management. I have named vehicles. My first housecar was SPUD because it looked like a potato hauler. An old Dodge station wagon was TOOTS because it was Tootsie-Roll colored. (I could have called it CACA, eh?) My old SUV's, a Ford Exploder and a Nissan Murano, are BIG BLUE and LI'L BLUE, because... well, because they're both blue, and one is bigger than the other.

I *do* refer to my digicams as CAM0, CAM1, CAM2 etc, at least in my image-moving software. But just wait. Time will pass. Needs will change. When we put Eye-Fi cards in all our digicams, each will be yet another network device. Cameras, like computers, will need unique names, in order to function in network environments. That doesn't necessarily mean that the names will make any sense. Oh no, let's not be sensible!
04-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Most of the cameras I use share the same name. I only use it when something doesn't work. It's: P.O.S. Yep, that little term of endearment.
But then once in a while...well most of the time, the camera slaps me back when I realize that's it's not a P.O.S. but rather I'm a D.A.
04-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I plus another 10 that I've lost somehow
I hate that... I know I have an MX, Spottie and two 'other somethings' someplace but I cannot find them any where...

I camera is kinda like a cute girl at the office, she takes too much attention from my wife and I spend too much time playing with her buttons vs my wifes... so I don't really talk about her nor our late night baths in fixer...

my marriage is better for it... feels like a French mistress really...
04-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I just got an ME super, for which I quite like "Yoda". But then I'd have to name my K-x Luke, which is too generic/non starwars-y...I guess I could go with Obi-wan/Anakin? Hmm.
04-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I have 6 slr cameras... 3 Pentax and 3 Canon... and they all have names... and NO i'm not sharing the names but they all come from a Dr Seuss Story.
04-15-2011, 11:59 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nope don't name mine, mainly because I'd forget the name anyway lol.
04-16-2011, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #30
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well all, you've all made me feel a lot less weird.
Ok, nevermind that, you've all made me realize that others out there share my naming weirdness. Thanks for that.

I'm getting a kick out of hearing some of the names that are being given to our 'companions', I have to say, I do pick mine up and often call 'him' baby also...."come on baby, lets go shoot" but G2 is his name most of the time.