Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

U.S. market: To be, or not...

Yes, I know the subject of marketing has been addressed many times. But, in this thread (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-forum-help/140368-why-no...moderator.html),
Adam said something about Pentax U.S.A. I found very interesting:

QuoteQuote:
Their marketing department will surprise you if you ever end up in contact with them, to say the least. Basically they are scared to make moves like these...
What's the deal? Does Hoya actually want Pentax to succeed in the U.S.? I'd think a little mainstream marketing would go a long way to help revive brand awareness here.

I've been using Pentax for a little over a year now and I'm satisfied with my choice. But, the lack of Pentax visibility would make it harder for me to convert or recruit friends to join me. Pentax has such good products - why do they hide their light under a bushel?

Any thoughts?

Tim

Last edited by .a.t.; 04-14-2011 at 11:17 PM.
04-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I wonder if the lack of retail presence is the thing... marketing without being able to get the products in people's hands is only going to take you so far. It seems Pentax is making strides here, but not to the point where they can partner up w/ a national retailer, of which there are very few and even fewer where the sales staff knows more than diddly squat. Plus the cost of getting a decent retail presence would be pretty expensive and take a lot of up front resources that may not pay off for a while. Perhaps they are wanting more word of mouth before trying to carve out a defend-able beachhead in retail. This will take additional market share and/or deep pockets. Look at Sony - even with their substantial investment and leverage on retail outlets to carry their DSLR's (which count on Sony for the TV's and other audio/ video products), their market share next to Canon and Nikon is small.

Of course retail isn't the only way to grow your business, but I think when it comes to the consumer who is buying their first advanced camera, playing with something solid and well designed can help overcome possible negative reactions from lazy sales staff who keep repeating the canikon mantra. If Pentax keeps getting positive reviews and more importantly makes a reliable and high quality product, they may be able to partner up with some retailers that can make more of a difference.

Maybe it will take the exit of a second tier competitor to open some doors at some retail accounts. As it is now, canikon is doing a good job of saturating most of the market - there's only so much space left for the scraps.
04-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Vagrant10. That's a lot of food for thought.

I suppose the lack of Pentax popularity frustrates me because I take it personally. I feel I'm part of the Pentax "family". But, I'm sure you're right - slow and steady is probably the only way for Pentax to proceed.

Tim
04-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

So my other tosses me an issue of Smithsonian magazine to read, and I'm leafing through it -- and there's full-page ad for Pentax! WE'RE THE LITTLE GEEK WHO ALWAYS WINS THE TECHNOLOGY FAIR, etc. Then I look again. It's the December 2007 issue. Let's see, the Hoya takeover was around May 2008, right? Not much (if any) mainstream Pentax ads since then. [expletive deleted]

04-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
So my other tosses me an issue of Smithsonian magazine to read, and I'm leafing through it -- and there's full-page ad for Pentax! WE'RE THE LITTLE GEEK WHO ALWAYS WINS THE TECHNOLOGY FAIR, etc. Then I look again. It's the December 2007 issue. Let's see, the Hoya takeover was around May 2008, right? Not much (if any) mainstream Pentax ads since then. [expletive deleted]
I've seen several ads in the past year in a couple different magazines.
« Denali | rant: »