Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Unless it's a difamatory or offensive use you shouldn't let all this buid up...
Your image is probably on a bunch of other servers than yours (i.e. google cache.), you posted it..someone saw it and posted it elsewhere while crediting you...Was there something offensive about the post? was it a comercial use?...because if there wasn't you shouldn't worry (you will live way better if you don't let other people's actions bother you so much).
Maybe i have a different way of thinking but i would never mind all of that unless the usage was denigrant...Culture evolves by the sharing and use of information, one of the best things that has happened to music and it's growth and democratization was the ability to use samples to create new sounds and tunes.
Be happy that you reached out.

Oh, and legal action or professional counsel will cost a lot (i just payed half a 8-16 with the fee of a report i made...if i have to go to trial for this case i may be able to join the k5 ranks...and that considering that it will not last much since the matter is pretty clear...soo i would say that in your case, if it was me deciding, the hassle would probably steer me out of those warpaths).

Last edited by Coeurdechene; 04-18-2011 at 08:15 AM.
04-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #32

Does the forum have advertising? If so, they are making money from your picture, and thats not fair use. Contact the advertising service that the website is making money from copyright infringement.
No more profits for them
04-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #33
Veteran Member

If you have ever written something that includes a quote from someone else, then you might want to use that as your starting point in understanding how "fair use" is meant to work.

"When I drink alone I prefer to be by myself" - George Thorogood
04-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Don't post anything to the Internet that you don't want to give away

Hopefully OP's picture wasn't embarrassing!

04-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
If it really bothers you, file a DMCA takedown notice with the site.
+1 I agree
04-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
In that case, you can change the image to add the text "this image is being posted here without the consent of the copyright holder"
No, I'll just put a water mark on them for free advertising
04-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #37
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posting on the internet and not getting photos stolen is like peeing on the courthouse steps at high noon and hoping no one sees you.

However, for a small fee, Otis Squirrel will track down the offender, have his Army of Squirrels hack his computer and the offending website, remove the photo, gut the computer and cut all phone lines and cables to the offenders home. For a little more.....he will have the offender put on a Doggie suit and give him this treatment..... BBC NEWS | Europe | Russian squirrel pack 'kills dog'

For more information, contact Otis Squirrel......look in the Yellow Pages under "Assassins for Hire"

Best Regards & Good Luck!

04-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
* People don't have to "grab" your photo...it is downloaded to their computer as part of the page load and once they have it, they have it.
Quite. I use various browsers. Each has one or more temporary image caches. With a bit of hunting, those caches can be found, and their contents can be harvested. Any image from any webpage is there for the taking. I harvest those for building photomatrix montages, and just to save some kewl images. I don't 'steal' those images -- their insertion into the cache is performed by the browser architecture; that's how the Web is designed. Those images exist on every computer that's accessed those sites. The Web is a cloud of copies of copies.

How to avoid image theft? DON'T PUT IMAGES ONLINE! Just like the best way to avoid malware is to STAY OFF THE WEB! Gopher and Usenet should be pretty safe, eh? But I digress. In the early years of my digi.cam.life I posted selected highly-shooped images on blogs. No more. Now my only online photo.presence is with product shots for stuff I sell or eBay, or closeups for diagnosing gear problems. Only dry technical shots, nothing artistic, no show-offs, none of that. Not so much to avoid image theft, but because I'm too lazy, and I don't need recognition. I just don't gotta, so I just don't.
04-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #39
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
How would I do that? Contact the internet host of the website? Or what?
Let me Google that for you.
04-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Let me Google that for you.
A day late and a dollar short on that joke

This Student character clearly already googled that, since he earlier shared the link that was the first hit on that google search result further up the thread.