Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2011, 12:43 AM   #61

Location: Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa
Photos: Gallery
Had one or two such as thats a nice camera, but it is the Bigma that draws the comments, such as;Thats a big lens.....it also draws looks when I am busy snapping away...like this weekend at my local airfield two pilots were faffing with thier LSA and were watching me shap away at a Piper twin that did some landings, they were from traing schol at another field about 55kms away at a nearby costal tow.

05-03-2011, 03:24 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I generally just say "Thank you!" and move on about my business...

Mike

p.s. Elva, you are right about the BIGMA (or any other super tele for that matter). I once got into the Pro Motocross Championship Races at Budd's Creek, MD for free when a rider saw me lugging my gear in, with the BIGMA prominently mounted on the K20D. He walked right up to me and said "With a bag ass lens like that you deserve this." and handed me a "Crew Pass" to the whole track. My Lucky Day!!!
05-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #63
Inactive Account

Now 'THAT' is a nice camera!

they don't make 'em good looking like that anymore.
05-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #64
Veteran Member

I actually find people give more "negative" type comments with regards to my dSLR being too big compared to their P&S which will be much nicer.

One such person was going around Carlsbad Caverns last month while I was there and had a little Sony P&S on a Tripod. That person made a snide remark about how hard it must be for me to walk around with my camera on its tripod all day being that the tripod and camera are so big. I can't possibly be getting good pictures with something so big.

I just smiled as they went on their way. Every time after I heard the guy muttering about why his photos weren't turning out (I don't think there is any mechanism for controlling shutter speed on most P&S cameras).

Generally though, I find other SLR users will either complement with the nice camera remark or not say anything, and it seems they are probably fishing for the return complement, which I'll usually give.

I also find it funny when I ask people to take a quick shot of my wife and I and they are scared to death of the camera only to find that a DSLR can be just as easy to use as a point and shoot if you want it to be.

05-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I also find it funny when I ask people to take a quick shot of my wife and I and they are scared to death of the camera only to find that a DSLR can be just as easy to use as a point and shoot if you want it to be.
Then on the other hand I have had people say 'they know' dslr's and I hand them the camera and the results indicate they don't even know how to use a P&S.

This was the only shot I let them take. Firstly because they were waving the camera round like it was one of them "tough" P&S. Second they had no idea how to use it. They thought they need to change the settings round and insisted that my settings were wrong (aperture was small for shooting there even after I explained it was set for using the flash)
Some people are a little ignorant.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
05-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot! ^^
05-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote

p.s. Elva, you are right about the BIGMA (or any other super tele for that matter). I once got into the Pro Motocross Championship Races at Budd's Creek, MD for free when a rider saw me lugging my gear in, with the K20D prominently mounted on the BIGMA. He walked right up to me and said "With a bag ass lens like that you deserve this." and handed me a "Crew Pass" to the whole track. My Lucky Day!!!
I corrected your post.

05-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Nice shot! ^^
Yeah they 'ALMOST' passed: Basic Composition 101.
The metz flash even tells you how far you need to be to get the right exposure.
05-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #69

Photos: Albums
This was a fun conversation to read. Couldn't help but think SIZE DOES MATTER!

A photographer is invited to a dinner party.
He decides to bring some pictures he recently took to share with the guests.

At seeing them, the hostess exclaims,
“These are beautiful pictures, you must have a great camera.”
A little chagrinned the photographer says nothing.

The guests (photographer included) enjoy a magnificent meal.

Just before the photographer leaves for the evening, he seeks out
the hostess to thank her for her hospitality and the wonderful meal.

“That was a fantastic dinner, you must have some great pots and pans”.
05-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #70
Veteran Member

I was shooting in Cologne Cathedral last week with my Pentax Spotmatic and a Mir-20m wideangle lens. I noticed some of the tourists were whispering "look at that ooooooold camera". I felt like a peacock in a birdshow...

Very funny.

One week ago we had the Maypole event in our village with a nice party at night. I went there with my K-r and a Super Tak 55 1.8 and took a lot of available light shots in the dark with ISO12.800. Most comment I got was

"your flash didn't fire"

05-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Folks are probably just trying to be nice when they comment on a camera. In reading the stories on this thread, I keep thinking about a co-worker who had to travel to a rural town. He went into a cafe and tried to strike up a conversation with some of the local farmers who were talking about problems with their crops. My friend said, "The wheat looks pretty good right now." One of the farmers looked him up and down, then said, "I suppose it does when you're driving by at 60 mph." Always remember that everyone has areas of expertise. If someone takes the time to comment on our camera, we ought to be courteous.
05-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kheldour Quote
One week ago we had the Maypole event in our village with a nice party at night. I went there with my K-r and a Super Tak 55 1.8 and took a lot of available light shots in the dark with ISO12.800. Most comment I got was

"your flash didn't fire"
About 4 years ago when I was using a Panasonic FZ-7 or 8 (I forget which), a nice advanced P & S with full manual control, I was at Niagara Falls at night looking to photograph the American falls across the river which were nicely lit up. I set the camera on my little tripod (6 inches high), set the shutter for some number of seconds and took a number of photos. They came out really nice with the water of the falls blurred of course and lots of nice colour. All around me were the flashes of P & S cameras.

Like you, one person next to me was commenting on the fact that my flash didn't fire but she was truly puzzled as to why I was getting some very nice photos. She couldn't grasp the fact that her flash unit WASN'T going to illuminate the entire American Falls across the river. I tried to explain but realized that there was an enormous gulf (about the size of the distance between the Canadian & American sides!) between what I knew about photography and what she knew.

Rather sad because if she'd set her little P & S down on the railing, holding it gently and tried a simple timed exposure (most P & S cameras let you turn off the flash) she most likely would have taken a fairly decent photo that she could be proud of.

Oh well, that's life. It's not the size or complexity of your camera most of the time, it's how you use it. And it's the reason my Dad took wonderful landscape photos 50 years ago with a fully manual camera with external exposure meter: photos I STILL CAN'T QUITE MATCH with all my equipment!!!
05-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #73
Pentaxian

When I got my DSLR my Dad thought it was too big & therefore slow, he told me I couldn´t possibly get photos of my two little nephews because the AF would be too slow, and what I needed was a small, quick camera. I had to explain to him that the AF on DSLRs (even my K200D) is faster than P&S AF.