Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't mind it when people comment on the "niceness" of my camera. What bothers me is when they ask how much I paid. Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't like to tell people that I've got several thousands of dollars of equipment on my back... Maybe it's bad of me, but I generally reply, "a lot."

04-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #32
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
I don't mind it when people comment on the "niceness" of my camera. What bothers me is when they ask how much I paid. Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't like to tell people that I've got several thousands of dollars of equipment on my back... Maybe it's bad of me, but I generally reply, "a lot."
I would think saying 'a lot' is just as bad as saying how much you actually paid is it not? because they likely already assume you paid a lot to begin with, and thats why they asked.
04-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I would think saying 'a lot' is just as bad as saying how much you actually paid is it not? because they likely already assume you paid a lot to begin with, and thats why they asked.

I dunno, I've only really been asked that in actually-curious ways, ...those I recall are usually pretty surprised to find out how little my stuff can be had for: (I mean, it's a lot to *me,* but in relative terms, not the thousands some assume) Not surprising they'd ask: it's usually students looking to start out or go digital or something.
04-25-2011, 12:07 PM - 3 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hate it when someone tells me I have a nice camera. I say "thanks", and after they're gone my camera always says to me "how come you don't compliment me anymore?" This is followed by either an argument or an uncomfortable silence.

04-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I almost never get comments about my cameras. Perhaps it is because there is seldom anyone else around when I use them.
And don't hang out with photographers.

I have had just ONE person say "Nice camera" to me in the ~3 years I've had the K20D. He was the Lake Tahoe ski-lift fotog I mentioned above. Another time, in the plaza in Santa Fe NM, a woman came to me and said, "Oh, you have a REAL camera! Can you help me with this?" Her borrowed plastic Nikon showed F-- on the top screen, so I just tightened the zoom all the way.

Which is better to have? A 'nice' camera, or a REAL camera? Heh heh.

But most of the time, there's either nobody around, or nobody thinks I'm worth approaching for camera chat. Maybe 'cause I'm 6'5" / 190cm tall and sometimes wear a machete on my belt.
04-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I often get the "nice camera" comment when carrying around a film camera, even if it is just a 20 year old K1000. The average person judges a camera on looks and has no clue where it stands in the camera food chain. As long as it is big and shiny and has lots of nobs and buttons people consider it a pro camera. Forget about it if you put on a battery grip, a hot shoe flash and a long lens.
04-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
You might be right. But then, what do you say? Tell 'em how much you paid? Just don't answer? Boy... I really don't like that question.

04-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I usually say in response, "Thanks -- it's a much better camera than I am a photographer."

Which is unequivocally true.
04-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I usually say in response, "Thanks -- it's a much better camera than I am a photographer."

Which is unequivocally true.
Now that's a good idea... It's not heady and proud.
04-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find the size of the lens determines the frequency of "nice camera" remarks. Day one at a group event FA50 equipped 1 comment. Day 2 DA12-24 with gigantic petal hood equipped I get 5 comments. A work colleague who shoots Canon agrees - it's not the capability of the camera, rather the size of the hood that atracts attention. Some "pro" wedding photog in the area even includes as a way on his web to differentiate his company from less reputable types "be cautious of photographers with small lenses". Wowzers
04-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I find the size of the lens determines the frequency of "nice camera" remarks. Day one at a group event FA50 equipped 1 comment. Day 2 DA12-24 with gigantic petal hood equipped I get 5 comments. A work colleague who shoots Canon agrees - it's not the capability of the camera, rather the size of the hood that atracts attention. Some "pro" wedding photog in the area even includes as a way on his web to differentiate his company from less reputable types "be cautious of photographers with small lenses". Wowzers
Ha ha. You are sooo right! My DA* 16-50 is considered "big" to people where I live (like you say, it has a lot to do with the hood) and they think I'm professional because of it. In their minds--the bigger, the better. = NOT.
04-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Ha ha. You are sooo right! My DA* 16-50 is considered "big" to people where I live (like you say, it has a lot to do with the hood) and they think I'm professional because of it. In their minds--the bigger, the better. = NOT.
Yeah, nothing gets respect like my Lil'Bigma 170-500 (1270g). Except maybe my Rubinar Makpo 1000/10 mirror (1760g). So what if it's nearly impossible to use?!? It's BIG! It's PRO! It's... a chiropractor magnet. Oh, my aching spine...

Another way to invite comments: A tripod. On the street. With an MF cam. Preferably a big 6x9 or 9x12 folder. Man-o-man, when I put the Kodak Monitor 6x9 onto a 74" 'pod and set up downtown, people stop & point & chatter, u-betcha!

But I recall a ride on the Copper Canyon train in Chihuahua. I've got my K20D and DA18-250 with the hood flaring, hanging off the vestibules, shooting the sights. And this well-dressed older Latino gentleman gets on, and he's tricked-out with some monster Canon gear hanging around his neck. All the while, he's just sitting there, fondling his stuff, looking self-important. And he never raises the camera to his eye. He never points a lens anywhere. Nada, nothing, nil. He's just showing off his bling. And he never looks at me. No "Nice camera!" there.

I also recall the old 2.5-km-high colonial city of San Cristobal de Las Casas, in Chiapas, not far from Guatemala. Not many Norte Americano (gringo) touristas there, but it's been on the tour route for Europeans for quite a while. After a few days, the national / cultural stereotypes kick in: French, Russian, USAnian, Canadian, Brit, German, etc -- they're pretty easy to distinguish. And the stereotypical German male: older, fatter, sweaty (but not as bad as Russians), wearing liederhosen, and carrying a BIG dSLR with a BIG lens that he pokes in everybody's face. The size of the gear doesn't seem professional, just arrogant.
04-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Maybe saying 'nice camera' is just a polite way of saying your not very good at using it. At least if they've seen your photos and say 'nice camera' it could be :P
04-27-2011, 12:55 AM   #44
Veteran Member

LOL

I had a somewhat similar but interesting experience just recently.

I recently went out with my friend(the wedding photographer) for steak at the Keg and we had out camera's with us(been doing some work in his studio) and anyways, while we were waiting for our food, we both had our camera's on the table while talking about some ideas on how we might stage our next shots. And some guy next to us looked over and said "woa, those are some nice camera's you got going there".

Now, the D700 is an impressive looking piece of kit(I'll admit). And it can look pretty pimp with a grip and fast lens. Which is everything the K-5 isn't. However when we were showing our new fan how they worked, the first thing he reacted too was how the K-5 sounded compared to the D700. Which was something along the lines of, wow, the little one sounds much more expensive! (lol).

Anyways... I sure am glad my wedding photographer friend isn't brand conscious, when he willfully said that was because the Pentax was a far more advanced camera. Though it goes to show... a good conversation can often open new doors as well.

PS. people in my areas aren't really competitively minded when it comes to photography. The last time I met another DSLR shooter in the city(who was a Nikon guy), we became best friends.

True story.
04-27-2011, 07:36 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I find the size of the lens determines the frequency of "nice camera" remarks.
LOL thats so true

You should hear the comments I get when I have the DA*60-250 on my camera... I guess in this day of cell phone cameras and tiny point and shoots it doesn't take much to pique peoples curiosity.

Pat