Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #1

Raw Convertion (Which one do u prefer)

Original

Version 1

Version 2

as per title goes, any comment on your preference ?? thanks..

slightly reduce the blue color temp at version 1..

04-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Version 1.

But I like also the original.
04-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
+1 for version 1 as well, great shot!
04-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Version 2 - The greens are over saturated in version 1 in my very humble opinion.

04-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting photo.
Was that the actual color of the sky(ambient)?
I'd like to hear more about the shot if you're open to sharing.
Have you considered pushing the sky to extract mode colors out of the luminescent area?

PS. I like no.1 the most, but that's purely because I think it holds more potential than the others in terms of push processing etc.
04-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I prefere the original

But if I had to choose, I'd go with Ver2. Ver1 grass seems unnatural with the apparent lighting conditions/time of day.
04-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #7

ver. 2 because of the deeper blue hues.

04-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Interesting photo.
Was that the actual color of the sky(ambient)?
I'd like to hear more about the shot if you're open to sharing.
Have you considered pushing the sky to extract mode colors out of the luminescent area?

PS. I like no.1 the most, but that's purely because I think it holds more potential than the others in terms of push processing etc.
I set the white balance to fluorescent to get the stronger blue. I m not sure how to extract color out of the luminescent area.
I push the vibrant, fill light, contrast and black slider mostly with minor adjustment on shadow and highlight.
Somehow I didn't quite like the outcome but can't figure out where went wrong.
04-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
I prefere the original

But if I had to choose, I'd go with Ver2. Ver1 grass seems unnatural with the apparent lighting conditions/time of day.
Thanks for pointing out the unnatural grass color. Personally I don't like the blue cast on jetty thats why I reduce blue temp but didn't notice on the grass color..
04-24-2011, 11:01 PM   #10
Banned

neither... the blue cast hurts my eyes. I think your direction with the white balance is... unfortunate.
04-25-2011, 12:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan83 Quote
I set the white balance to fluorescent to get the stronger blue. I m not sure how to extract color out of the luminescent area.
I push the vibrant, fill light, contrast and black slider mostly with minor adjustment on shadow and highlight.
Somehow I didn't quite like the outcome but can't figure out where went wrong.
Hi,

Would you mind if I ran a few observations past you with regards to WB and processing?

It's entirely up to you, I think your image has potential, and I thought of a few adjustments(in RAW) that may prove helpful on giving new perspective to the colors etc.
04-25-2011, 02:22 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Hi,

Would you mind if I ran a few observations past you with regards to WB and processing?

It's entirely up to you, I think your image has potential, and I thought of a few adjustments(in RAW) that may prove helpful on giving new perspective to the colors etc.
i dont mind at all.. do u need the original Raw file ?
04-25-2011, 07:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan83 Quote
i dont mind at all.. do u need the original Raw file ?
Nah, I think the JPG will be fine.

Okay, so the first thing I noticed was how ACR(Adobe Camera Raw) assigned WB with auto.

Granted the sky and colors are washed-out, but... it does equalize them in a more realistic fashion(which can be a good thing), which leaves us with the option of extracting color selectively rather than trying to saturate the entire image.

After a quick curves adjustment, we get this:

However, the grassy regions get muted due to contrast, and so we can compensate with an adjustment and mask in the difference;

One last tweak on the vibrancy and saturation and a little sharpening, to see if we can't extract anything else out of the sky(trial and error really);

Well that's about it in a nutshell. No fixed objective really, just a quick prod(5 mins.) to see what can come out of things by pushing and pulling an image and seeing what can be drawn-out of it.

PS. I'm not trying to tell you what to do or anything as the end-result is ultimately(always) up to the person leading the image. However, when I caught the WB auto results in during a quick pass in ACR and thought it may be worth sharing.

Last edited by JohnBee; 04-25-2011 at 12:26 PM.
04-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #14
Banned

VAST improvement there.

Using an incorrect white balance to gain a desired "hue" in one element of the picture isn't usually the right way to go. You'll just throw off all the other colors too, and lose latitude with how much adjustment you can make to the individual colors. I sometimes skew the white balance towards yellow to gain a slight golden quality to the light, but only by a few small steps and only after I've set a proper white balance to begin with (and only where it makes sense to do so).

JohnBee's example is a much better direction than the initial examples in the OP.
04-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I like the last one - though could look better with some more bluish tinge.