Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Conference in a gym... :o

I just got asked to photograph a conference this summer and it's in a gym! I know what gym lighting is like because of shooting sports, but I'm wondering what the best thing is for conference/speaker shots? Will a flash bounce off of the ~30ft ceiling?

04-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
I just got asked to photograph a conference this summer and it's in a gym! I know what gym lighting is like because of shooting sports, but I'm wondering what the best thing is for conference/speaker shots? Will a flash bounce off of the ~30ft ceiling?
I can comment from a speaker and conference organiser perspective. A few tips:

*Be authorised to photograph: be the official photographer and/or have the permission of the speakers to photograph them.

*Flash is most unwelcome. Avoid flash at all cost. I know that some photographer(s) use flash at conference, but the best photographers are the ones who are not seen nd can get the most natural shots.

*The motion of a speaker is quite slow. You should not need to use a shutter speed faster than 1/20 s , and often 1/8s would be ok. (This is not indoor sport!)

*You will need a range of focal lengthes to shoot (a) the speaker(s) only and (b) the room with the attendees and/or the big screen. Possibly two fast prime lenses. Your 31mm f1.8, DFA100mm f2.8 and Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 should be a great choice.

Hope that the comment will help....

Last edited by hcc; 04-24-2011 at 09:04 PM.
04-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ask if there's going to be additional lighting in the gym. If it's a conference with speakers, there may be a chance there will be additional lighting to brighten up the podium. If so, you may be in luck and can just follow hcc's suggestions.
04-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good comments everyone. Yes, I will be the official photographer. I guess my biggest worry is the coloring of the images. You know, gym greenish yellowish....... :S

04-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know nothing of shooting conferences, but when indoors with varying light I'll sometimes hide some small grey cards in strategic areas so I can adjust my WB and clone out the cards later in post.

I imagine that you may have greenish lighting from the gym lights + whatever colour from stage lights + maybe podium lights.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Pat
04-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I'd sure want to check it out first.

With my luck they'd likely put the podium in front of a west facing window for a mid-day conference!
04-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

gyms often have those nasty sodium... whatever lights. Slow shutter speeds are your friend because the lights will get through one or two cycles and help even out your color. If you shoot faster that 1/60 then you will have more difficult color issues

04-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cwood Quote
gyms often have those nasty sodium... whatever lights. Slow shutter speeds are your friend because the lights will get through one or two cycles and help even out your color. If you shoot faster that 1/60 then you will have more difficult color issues
Ah! That's helpful... Thanks. Yeah, I know what you mean about the sodium nastiness.
05-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
Inactive Account

hello