Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
General P&S help

Hi Guys

i have a question here (or maybe opinion) about a non Pentax P&S camera. Some while back my inlaws bought a Sony Cybershot DSC-W150 camera, the problem with this thing is that I would have expected to be able to put it in idiot mode (auto) and press the button and get a reasonable photo from it....however more often than not the photos are blury...have a look at the photo below..

I can get around it by setting it to P mode and setting the ISO to say 400 but in my opinion you really shouldnt need to do this for a P&S camera....any one got any ideas why this would be happeng or is the camera just a bit of a dud??

Excuse the father in law and his mate but this photo shows what i am talking about - plenty of light but still very blury and for a camera that is called Super Steady Shot....

Adrian

Attached Images

04-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I have had this problem with every cheap P&S camera I've used except for Canon. For that reason I always buy Canon P&S for my personal use. This is really only useful advice to someone in the market for buying a new camera though, so...

The best thing to try is to learn how to focus accurately with your specific P&S camera. Also, use the scene modes to your advantage. Sometimes the images are in focus, but the shutter speed is too slow and the image is blurry due to movement. A way around this is to use a sports or kids/pets setting to increase shutter speed and prevent motion blur. Also, some cameras allow you to select what type of focusing it uses, a central area vs. face detection.

Really, it all boils down to knowing how to squeeze the most performance out of your specific camera. Once you figure out the specifics it does become a matter of pointing, composing, and shooting the picture. On my new Canon P&S I now have the camera always set on scene mode kids and pets with face detection AF. This way my wife can pick up the camera, turn it on, and take decent images of our kids. When I use the camera I change the settings to whatever I need, but this is all based on time spent learning how to use my camera first.
04-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes the auto focus is just a bit off. As noted above, learn how to use the specific camera, and learn how to keep an eye on the auto focus, set it on center rather than several optional points.

I have a Samsung S730 that has been great. Especially for macros. It finally started having problems after lots of use and a shower or three, but I got macro shots good enough to print. Got plenty regular shots that were quite good too. I always kept the auto focus on center point mode, and usually used Program mode so I would have some control over exposure and ISO. For macros I used the Scene mode and kept it set for Macro.

The picture above is simply out of focus, I see no motion blur. I can't tell where the auto focus decided to fix on, but it's not the two subjects. That is why I finally set my Samsung to center focus. Then it did pretty well. If the Sony works the same, you push the shutter release halfway and it focuses, then you shoot. IT had a green indicator onscreen, so I could see what it was focusing on. When it turned green, it was focused, and it did a very good job of it, I rarely had blurry pictures. And I shot over 20,000 pictures with it...I'd get another Samsung without thinking about it twice, I liked it that much.

Go through the settings, find out what auto focus mode it's using and change it to center point. That avoids having it trying to focus on something off to the side, rather than the subject. If you want the subject off center (I usually did) focus, hold the button down and recompose, it works well usually.