Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

full frame DSLR camera, when?

when does pentax release his full frame DSLR camera?
or
does pentax only focus on 645, and drop full frame?

04-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can't drop what you don't hold.

Done and dead subject :-)
04-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want a FF camera, there are plenty available now.
5D, 1DMkIII, D700, D3, a850...

Don't wait for Pentax to come out with theirs.
They hold a much slimmer portion of market share and APS-C seems to be doing a good job for them at present. There are enough threads here talking about how the K-5 compares favourably with the 5D.
04-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote

They hold a much slimmer portion of market share and APS-C seems to be doing a good job for them at present. There are enough threads here talking about how the K-5 compares favourably with the 5D.
This, and there's that recent interview in which it was said they're concentrating more on the 645D to be the professional Pentax camera rather than introduce a FF camera.

04-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yxy728 Quote
Pentax is a man? I always thought of it as a lady
04-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
This, and there's that recent interview in which it was said they're concentrating more on the 645D to be the professional Pentax camera rather than introduce a FF camera.
Is this a quote from Pentax themselves? If they qualified this by stating it is Pentax's professional landscape or portraiture camera then it would seem to be a credible statement. But in it's current form (1 FPS etc) could it ever be regarded as a professional 'all rounder' like a D3 or 1D model?
04-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yxy728 Quote
or
does pentax only focus on 645, and drop full frame?
We will see FF when this forum goes an entire year without the question being asked.

Is there an emoticon for terminal boredom?

04-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pmastello Quote
always thought of it as a lady
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Done and
i think pentax is a man, and takumar is lady. haha.
04-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote

my grandpa had a Asahi Pentax SP II, but its shutter is not accurate.
my father use pentax z1. now i use k7. however, my old takumar is hardly to show their talent on k7, because k7 is APS-C and it "cuts" my fish-eye lens.
i know i can get a Canon or Nikon's, but i have no plan to change my style.
04-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qiki Quote
Is this a quote from Pentax themselves? If they qualified this by stating it is Pentax's professional landscape or portraiture camera then it would seem to be a credible statement. But in it's current form (1 FPS etc) could it ever be regarded as a professional 'all rounder' like a D3 or 1D model?
It doesn't have to be an 'all rounder' like a D3 or 1D to be professional. Pentax never competed on that market, but had some nice MF cameras.
Pentax doesn't have the resources to compete directly with the D3/1D anyway... trying to launch such a camera would certainly kill them. The 645D, otoh, is another story.
04-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qiki Quote
From here. Take it as you will.
04-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd love to see it happen because I have no interest in switching to Canon or Nikon to get my FF.

I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket right now. It's not enough to buy a 645D, but it's enough to buy a new body. I miss my exaggerated perspective, so I can either spend the money on a body that will give it to me, or a new lens that will compensate for the shortcomings of an APS-C sensor. Pentax makes a 12-24mm, but that's the equivalent of an 18-36mm, it's just not wide enough for what I need, so my dollars would have to go to Sigma for their 8-16mm. I can do that, but I'd much rather support Pentax if only they'd offer what I need.

I think there are quite a few pros out there who would be willing to spend a couple thousand on a professional Pentax body, but 15 grand for the 645D and one lens is a bit prohibitive. There's money to be made with a happy medium (and yes, I realize that's the slogan of the 645) I'm just an enthusiast and I'd buy one, so how many more folks are there like me out there?

There's a perception out there that "professionals only shoot Nikon or Canon", and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Someone who has never bought an entry level DSLR before probably hasn't heard of Pentax, so in that person's mind there are two paths to take, Canon or Nikon. So they pick one of the two, and when it;s time to move into a more advanced camera, they stick with the brand they've been using, partly for lens compatibility, and partly for brand loyalty. Until pros and semi-pros start to see Pentax as a serious alternative to the big two, the company is going to have to be content with the table scraps that land on the floor. Goofy-colored cameras don't help the image, but money is money, so I've made my peace with that. Now I'm not knockin' the 645D, it's doing wonders to promote the professional image of the company, but the price is a bit prohibitive even for some professional shooters.
04-28-2011, 01:17 AM   #13
wll
Veteran Member

Not in our lifetime !

Pentax, will make more lenses and probably other accessories for the 645 system.

No FF as they are set on the APS-C sensor size.

If you want FF you need to go to another system, Pentax is not going there.

If you want to see about the possibility of FF go http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2011/04/interview-with-hoyas-pentax-top.html

wll

Last edited by wll; 04-28-2011 at 01:22 AM.
04-28-2011, 02:24 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Pentax, will make more lenses and probably other accessories for the 645 system.

No FF as they are set on the APS-C sensor size.

If you want FF you need to go to another system, Pentax is not going there.

If you want to see about the possibility of FF go RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Interview with Hoya's Pentax Top Officials at China P&E

wll
Taken directly from the article quoted:

However, Pentax is not eliminating any possibility for making one whenever market need is there.

In other words, Pentax is content to sit back and see how far competitors manage to grow the FF market before they enter the market themselves. This may prove to be a smart gambit (if FF flops). However, if they do decide to enter the market late they are going to be playing big-time catch up. Not so much because of the development time for a FF body, but because they no longer produce a range of FF compatible lenses.
04-28-2011, 03:17 AM   #15
Pentaxian

But that's what they say each time for years. Nothing new although your analysis is correct: they do not say 'no'. They'd be stupid to do so.

Maybe when 645D cams will be Full frame (uncropped 645 format).