Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Travel Insurance for Photography Equipment

Hey Fellow Pentaxians,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for travel insurance for photgraphy equipment and even my laptop. I'll be moving to Nicaragua in mid-August and worried that my stuff will get stolen (I'll stick out like a sore thumb there!). I am a US citizen and so I guess I would prefer any US-based insurance companies more, but open to any other affordable solutions. I left my sig on here just in case you want to know what I'm packing for the trip.

04-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check with your home owners insurance to see if they will give you an international general coverage policy that will cover loss and/or damage received worldwide. I've got a policy with State Farm that covers my camera gear for all hazards. You will need to give your insurer an inventory of your equipment.
04-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I second the suggestion of checking with your homeowners or rental insurance first.

Also I suggest photographing all your equipment to go along with inventory and serial numbers.

However I also wouldn't travel anywhere where I thought my equipment would be in particular danger of being stolen.

Paul
04-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I will definitely photograph my equipment and write down all the serial numbers. I should mention that I'll be living in Nicaragua for about 10 months for work and currently, I do not have homeowners or rental insurance. So I'm starting from scratch here. I'll check with State Farm, but does anyone know if I am able to get property insurance without having to buy rental insurance?