Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

I have no clue how to use my Sekonic L-358!

I have never worked with a Light Cell before and my photography school asked me to buy one as we are going to spend the year working with film only and use only mechanical cameras. And so I bought the best I could afford (Yeah. I tend to buy the best I can afford because I can never be sure to have the money to 'upgrade' later on and I feel that buying a lower quality product to then buy a good quality product is a waste of money on the low end stuff).

So yeah, I know what it does but I have no idea how to use it and set it up. Do I have to program it somehow to optimise it for use with my Nikon D3 and Pentax K-7?

UPDATE: After a few days of use...

Is it me or is the build quality erm... Not so good? The trigger button lifts up on the bottom when you push the top and you can even put a nail under it...

The rubber plug on the opposite of the black button keeps getting out of that hole...

Now granted I bought it second hand but I went to a store today and looked at one which was exactly the same...

Is it going to fall apart or will it last and take a beating?

Last edited by Noob; 05-05-2011 at 04:12 AM.
05-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Thank you! I couldn't find the user manual anywhere! Weird...
05-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Be sure to check out their online classroom as well.
05-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Thanks Mike! Seems that lots of photography equipment manufacturers and retailers have such tutorial now! Sekonic, Lastolite, Adorama etc..

05-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It is somehow strangely non-intuitive. I spent a while practicing with mine before I could really navigate around with it on the fly comfortably... I'm not sure why it was hard to figure out initially because its seems really obvious now
05-03-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cwood Quote
It is somehow strangely non-intuitive. I spent a while practicing with mine before I could really navigate around with it on the fly comfortably... I'm not sure why it was hard to figure out initially because its seems really obvious now
Hehe, when I received it (without manual) I was thinking "Okay what do all these buttons do? Should I retract the white ball or not? But now it seems easy yeah!

Any advice on using it outdoors for handheld shooting? The cell, held in front of the eyes or the chin or what?
05-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't own a light meter, but I watched a video on AdoramaTV yesterday that covered some uses of the Sekonic. The photographer (Mark Wallace?) addressed having the "dome" up or down. You might take a look at the video as the guy was a pretty good presenter. Sorry, but I can't seem to get a link to video to work, but it is listed on AdoramaTV home page. Hope this helps.

05-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Noob Quote
Hehe, when I received it (without manual) I was thinking "Okay what do all these buttons do? Should I retract the white ball or not? But now it seems easy yeah!

Any advice on using it outdoors for handheld shooting? The cell, held in front of the eyes or the chin or what?
Except in the studio... it seems every time I use it - I use it differently. Generally speaking I guess I use it most often with the dome down - and then I measure key light and fill light. And since I don't usually use it for "flat light" shots I will use it on each cheek of the subject to measure the contrast ratio and/or determine how much fill light is required. Its useful for measuring rim light in both outdoor and studio environments as well... including Rim light I don't typically have too many light sources that are greater than 3 stops apart.
05-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
pbo
Veteran Member

For outdoors, if you want "fast" (fast for a handheld meter) operation, just use the incident metering, point the dome to the sky and meter. You need to be in the same light as your subject, though, so it's not going to work if you're standing under the sun and shooting something in the shadow.
05-05-2011, 04:11 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
After a few days of use...

Is it me or is the build quality erm... Not so good? The trigger button lifts up on the bottom when you push the top and you can even put a nail under it...

The rubber plug on the opposite of the black button keeps getting out of that hole...

Now granted I bought it second hand but I went to a store today and looked at one which was exactly the same...

Is it going to fall apart or will it last and take a beating?
05-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I did not buy the built-in PW trigger so I don't know about that (I just carry a pocket wizard around in my hand to fire the strobes). The other rubber plug definitely will NOT stay put though

Overall I have no concerns about the build quality. My only issue with the unit is the odd size battery which seems like it will be a PIA to replace one day (I currently have one spare)