Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

...But you really need to work on your post processing and retouching skills!

I was recently told that I was a good Photographer but that my post processing was just bloody awful because my images look, please let me quote 'old, depressing and flat".

Any advice on how to improve my post processing?

Right now I am kind of broke so Internet ressources or advice are prefered over books to buy. I don't have Photoshop but I have Lightroom 3 (and I don't use GIMP because on Mac it's too much of a hassle, when I work on the image the tool bar disappears behind the document etc...)

Any advice would be much appreciated. Here is a before and after shot, I originally intended on throwing this image away because it was under exposed but I kept it and managed to 'Salvage' it I think. Some will say it's over exposed but this effect is intentional, I wanted to give the image a sort of dreamy, otherworldly feel. Anyway, I'm told my edit is dull and makes the image look old. What do you think? Like the edit? No? How can I improve my PP?

NB: By the way people if you want to make edits fine but delete them in a week or so, I promised the model I'd remove the image by then. She's OK with me posting it here but not like permanently.

Last edited by Noob; 05-01-2011 at 04:21 PM.
05-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Forum Member

Try desaturating the original picture a bit and keep some of the yellows. Add a magenta/blue filter over it and see how that looks.

For a dreamy look, B/W isn't always the route to go.
05-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hope you don't mind the image edit: some filters and playing with levels etc.

[Image removed at OP's request]

All depends on what your dream looks like I guess!

I notice elsewhere that you are attempting to develop a portfolio - may be worthwhile investing in Photoshop at this point.

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 05-11-2011 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Image removal...
05-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Who told you your post-processing sucked? Was it someone you respect and admire? Or was it a random comment from some internet nobody on an image you posted? If the former, maybe he or she can give you some guidance. If the latter, he or she can be safely ignored. Bottom line, if you're happy with look of your photos, it doesn't really matter what others think unless those others are people you know, respect, and value.

I'm on my netbook right now, which isn't the best for evaluating images, but the image you posted above looks fine to me. (Of course, I'm one of those internet nobodys so maybe it doesn't matter what I think. )

05-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 on what MPrince said. I like the color better than the B&W for this capture. A little under sets a serious tone for the image.

I guess I owe you a couple of cents for listening.
05-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Who told you your post-processing sucked? Was it someone you respect and admire? Or was it a random comment from some internet nobody on an image you posted? If the former, maybe he or she can give you some guidance. If the latter, he or she can be safely ignored. Bottom line, if you're happy with look of your photos, it doesn't really matter what others think unless those others are people you know, respect, and value.

I'm on my netbook right now, which isn't the best for evaluating images, but the image you posted above looks fine to me. (Of course, I'm one of those internet nobodys so maybe it doesn't matter what I think. )
Not going to say any names but it was a Fashion Photographer I met and I showed him a couple of my pictures and he said the images had potential but my Post Processing sucked. I am happy with the look because it is what I wanted (though I am not quite happy with the lower lip being so erm, pale... Tried to correct that but it made her look like Michael Jackson [RIP]) but I mean if no one likes it then obviously I need to work on Post Processing.
05-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #7

It just seems you lost some of the contrast from the original image, thus "flat."

You pulled up the shadows to get the detail, perhaps it would be good to modify the curve for more contrast?

05-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Hope you don't mind the image edit: some filters and playing with levels etc.

All depends on what your dream looks like I guess!

I notice elsewhere that you are attempting to develop a portfolio - may be worthwhile investing in Photoshop at this point.
Hi, can you remove your edit in like 7 days? I promised that I would remove the image from flickr after about a week or so, we had an agreement on the use in the model release, thanks!

Yeah I wish I had photoshop but it's so expensive!
05-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tackyat.2 Quote
It just seems you lost some of the contrast from the original image, thus "flat."

You pulled up the shadows to get the detail, perhaps it would be good to modify the curve for more contrast?
Yeah I tried more contrast but it made her make up and stuff stand out, I tried healing that but didn't get any good results so I cranked it up a little but not a lot. What you can't see in this image is that the model isn't very pretty in real life, it was tough finding an angle that made her look as cute as she looks on this picture! As a result I had lots of pictures which would have been great for PP but on which she didn't look very attractive.
05-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #10

Maybe for fun you could work on clone stamping/healing some of your throwaway images, to see if you can get the result you want.
05-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
In my opinion you lost the midtones which makes the photo somewhat flat to my eye
Yeah but see that shadow around her eyes? And the nose bothers me too.

By the way people if you want to make edits fine but delete them in a week or so, I promised the model I'd remove the image by then. She's OK with me posting it here but not like permanently.

Last edited by Noob; 05-01-2011 at 04:18 PM.
05-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I'm certainly no expert but I like your B&W image and I do think it looks a bit dreamy. Its a bit different (low contrast) but it makes a change. I guess everyone sees things differently.

Pity you can't use Gimp because bottom lip would be easy to fix with dodge etc.
05-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Well I'm certainly no expert but I like your B&W image and I do think it looks a bit dreamy. Its a bit different (low contrast) but it makes a change. I guess everyone sees things differently.

Pity you can't use Gimp because bottom lip would be easy to fix with dodge etc.
I guess it's just not "Fashion Quality" yet
05-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Noob Quote
Not going to say any names but it was a Fashion Photographer I met and I showed him a couple of my pictures and he said the images had potential but my Post Processing sucked. I am happy with the look because it is what I wanted (though I am not quite happy with the lower lip being so erm, pale... Tried to correct that but it made her look like Michael Jackson [RIP]) but I mean if no one likes it then obviously I need to work on Post Processing.
I would guess fashion photographers probably have a different post-processing aesthetic than most photographers, and if that is an area of photography that interests you it would be a good idea to listen to and learn from them. Otherwise, I think you should develop your own style and post-process to your liking.
05-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Noob Quote
I was recently told that I was a good Photographer but that my post processing was just bloody awful because my images look, please let me quote 'old, depressing and flat".

Any advice on how to improve my post processing?
I tried to do better, but couldn't

I think the model would pop more if the walls behind were darker. Perhaps you could locally brush the walls to increase the contrast with the model's face.

You did great getting the detail out of the hair that you did, good luck.