Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lasik set my "vision age" back at least 15 years at 67 YO and can work wonders today.

Your doctor may have a point if your optic correction is other than simple diopter correction - which you didn't mention - in which case contacts may be a good solution. I'd seek a thorough Lasik evaluation as a second-opinion. It may be free and is very comprehensive.

H2

05-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #17
pbo
Veteran Member

Hold on before buying the magnifier. I have one, it is great for manual focus and magnified image BUT it does not help with seeing the whole frame! I have the original Pentax magnifier, and it works well with contact lenses, but with glasses I have to look up/down to cover the whole frame.
When I wear glasses, I just use the eyecup that came with the camera, set the diopter adjustment so that the image looks sharp, and use it that way; I'm pretty sure I can see the entire image in the viewfinder (and I'm definitely sure I cannot with the magnifier and glasses on).
05-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

What are the details of your eyeglass scrip and condition, Noob? I suspect your opthalmologist is overstating something, here. If contacts correct it, there should be no problem at all there.

(Or a custom diopter, too, if you have an astigmatism in key areas. )

I'll tell you this, get a second opinion: the wrong freaking eyeglasses did me more harm than a viewfinder ever did, and I *do* have a little astigmatism in a key place.
05-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Get a second opinion. Google for EYE STRAIN. Hint: Exercising your ocular-socket muscles does NOT cause vision deterioration. Nor does reading in low light. And those old systems for 'exercising' eyes to IMPROVE vision don't work either. (Poor Aldous Huxley!) Aging and other causes of vision deterioration may be improved with contacts or glasses. I've also worn glasses for over 5 decades; I've always photographed through glasses; no problem. My eyeballs are now delaminating, yet I have no trouble focusing manual lenses. Don't sweat it. Get whatever vision correction you need. Adjust the VF to the right dioptre to give you clear shots. That's my somewhat-informed advice.

Last edited by RioRico; 05-04-2011 at 07:39 PM.
05-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I too have the same affection. I have been wearing glasses for about 60 years now - since the age of 1. Without my glasses - I can't even find the camera - although I think its the black blob somewhere over there (I am pointing to my right towards the dining room table). Bottom line, I need to shoot with my glasses on - removing them is not an option. I am so far sighted that I can't see the nose smudges on the glasses from our dogs on my lap (IGs - Italian Greyhounds).

I can not see the entire viewfinder either - in particular the bottom information line. I need to do a slight adjustment and look down to get the information. So, what do I do - I don't worry about it. It is, what it is. I compose off the center and then shoot. I tend to do a lot of landscapes at night - so my tripod is my friend.

I am thinking about possibly getting a Katzeye to help with manual focusing. My old trusty Spotmatic II has a split prism focusing screen, and for me it works very well. I think going to the same type of focusing screen on my K20 will help also.

[now my secret is out - that why I use the Smilies with the dark glasses - my wife tells me that I am as blind as a bat, and should just graduate to the white cane (just kidding - )]
05-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can elaborate some on what his ophthalmologist is talking about as mine told me the same thing.

Doc's referring to our eyes having only so much "focusing power" before they get tired. As we age, there is less flexibility in the mechanics of our eyes and the eyes' ability to focus and compensate for deficiencies gets diminished. If you haven't experienced this, it's quite obvious for those of us who wear glasses for close distance viewing/reading, then take them off or forget them somewhere. Initially our eyes might be able to deal with it but in a matter of hours we'll notice our eyes might not be able to keep up, we might get headaches or eye aches, and we start to do the eye blink, wince, and rub.

Keep doing this, particularly if you have a degenerative eye condition, and it's like over-exercising a muscle.

I use my glasses with my camera, even progressive bifocals. You just need to get used to it and learn to shift the camera or your eye slightly so you can see more of the viewfinder. Alternatively, do as others suggested and look into contacts.
05-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wear glasses, but either flip them up on to the top of my head when shooting, or look over the top of them,

05-04-2011, 11:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Did you know you could prescription diopters?
Also, you can invest in a LV eyepiece as well, which would increase the overall visibility and eleviate eye strain.

Personally, I think you're eye doctor is a bit on the extreme end of things.
And so I'll just join the fray and say; second opinion.
05-05-2011, 03:40 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I don't know how I can work on big productions not seeing the whole frame! I think I am going to buy one of those viewfinder adapters but some of you say it doesn't work? Is there a better option?
05-05-2011, 04:36 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Are contact lenses an option?
No unfortunately not.
05-05-2011, 04:38 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As others have suggested, what is your prescription. I have worn glasses for about 35 years, with a perscription that has progressively gone from -0.75 diopters to -3.75 diopters at it's worst. It has now actually started to go back and is currently -3.25. What I found early on is that I could not see far enough without my glasses and having to take them off to shoot was a real pain. I just accepted long ago to shoot with NY glasses on
05-05-2011, 05:25 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Okay;

RIGHT: +1.00(+0.50)10°

LEFT: +1.00(+1.00)5°

Not sure what it means though, I think I have a bit of everything.
05-05-2011, 06:01 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Noob Quote
Is there a better option?

I believe these typically have a +/- 3 diopter adjustment. Though some are fully adjustable so as to accommodate any eyesight.

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-05-2011 at 06:06 AM.
05-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Noob Quote
I don't know how I can work on big productions not seeing the whole frame! Is there a better option?
Live view? Tethered to a laptop?

H2
05-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Live view? Tethered to a laptop?

H2
Yeah but I gotta see what I am shooting before I shoot it.