Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
How to pull off a cool stylish bulb shot

I am planning a couple shots with a model, and I am trying to figure out how best to pull off these shots. What I want is first to have the model kneeling is a prayer type position, and then have double exposure type images of her walking away from herself praying, so it looks like her soul is leaving her body.

First I can't even figure out how to use bulb mode, but my other question be how could I best pull this off? Do I want to shoot in very low light to avoid lots of over exposure? What do I need to know, and where is the bulb function.

Thanks

05-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Metalwizards Quote
I am planning a couple shots with a model, and I am trying to figure out how best to pull off these shots. What I want is first to have the model kneeling is a prayer type position, and then have double exposure type images of her walking away from herself praying, so it looks like her soul is leaving her body.

First I can't even figure out how to use bulb mode, but my other question be how could I best pull this off? Do I want to shoot in very low light to avoid lots of over exposure? What do I need to know, and where is the bulb function.

Thanks
what camera do you have? why not use multiple exposure?
05-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
what camera do you have? why not use multiple exposure?
I have a k-r, I just figured out how to use bulb. I am considering multi-exposure, more or less trying to plan for the best way to achieve this effect.
05-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can do either.
Bulb with long exposure in low light and flash pulses when the subjects in the intended poses, or multiexposure with the subject timed with fluid movements captured precisely at moments of shutter actuation.

05-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Black background for one of the shots, and whatever set you are using for the other one.
In this instance, I'd use the black background for the shot of her walking away.
Combine the two as layers in Photoshop, adjust the opacity to suit your needs and flatten the image.
Do make sure that the angle of lighting is the same in both. That sort of mistake sticks out like a sore thumb.
09-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #6

how abaout bulb + multi exposure anyone has tried it? my cam freeze after i take the second shot i mean when i was shoot the second shot :'(
09-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The freeze might just be a "dark frame" for long exposure noise reduction. You can turn that off. It takes a dark frame of the same amount of time as the exposure immediately after the exposure for shot of 30" or greater I believe.

09-13-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I've never tried this but I think you could use flash or paint with a flash light for the kneeling picture while using the bulb or a long exposure setting. Then have the person move to complete the image.

This image was done by multiple paintings with a flash light .

http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=969952

Tim