Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2007, 09:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Concrete question

Okay, so, here's a concrete question.

The K10D lets you set white balance in color temperature in Kelvin and then further tweak in Green<->Magenta / Blue<->Amber colorspace. (Which is a very cool advanced feature, by the way, and yet another reason this is a great camera for JPEG shooting.)The presets (tungsten, cloudy, etc.) also let you make these adjustments -- but in each case starting from the center. There's a linear chart (but imprecisely-labeled) of color temps vs. light source, but I'm pretty sure at least some of the fluorescent presets also include built-in correction on the green-magenta scale.

It'd be nice to easily have the information so that one could reproduce one of the predefined options in one of the three user-set slots and then tweak it slightly -- doable via trial and error or with external knowledge, but it's the kind of thing that ought to just be in the manual. (For that matter, when you do a custom wb with a white card, wouldn't it be nice if it told you what you'd measured? Maybe there's a way to do that that I've missed.)

Also, the GM/BA grid doesn't have a meaningful key, so it's hard to know what each step actually does. (Do they correspond roughly to the Kodak Wratten filter scale? Probably something like that.)

So, the question: does the Magic Lantern Guide cover this in depth? Does it give base numbers for each of the presets?

11-07-2007, 11:02 PM   #17

I haven't looked at the Pentax version but I bought the Canon version for my dad to use with his Rebel XT. He said it's MUCH better than his owner's manual.
11-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I think it also helps to learn things in a more readable fashion which is what I found in the Magic Lantern guide. The owner's manual... while filled with good information was dry and uninspiring... at least from my perspective.
11-08-2007, 10:17 AM   #19
Inactive Account

It is very difficult to have one book that is all things to all people. That said I found the edition for the K10d to be far more helpful than the pentax manual. I carry the Magic Lantern book with me and leave the pentax book at home when traveling. Helps when my age induced CRS kicks in.

I would suggest you go to a book store and check out the book first hand then see if it is in a format that is useful to you.

11-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I'm sold. Amazon has the $19.95 price crossed out and $13.57 in its place. I thought of a way to get it even cheaper, request it from my wife as a Holiday present.
11-11-2007, 09:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Good thinking, Leo. It's how I plan to get my next photographic toy as well. LOL