Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Magic Lantern Guides: K100D, is it worth it?

Just wanted to hear some opinions of those here who actually have purchased this guide, I had a high end Canon point and shot (S1 IS) but I'm completely new to SLR world! Would it really help me tame my new K100D Super?

Last edited by chrisca70; 11-04-2007 at 10:47 AM.
11-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I strongly suspect so. I have the K10D and the Magic Lantern Guide for this camera continues to be very useful to me. As such, I'm sure the one for your camera will be equally helpful to you. The Magic Lantern Guide adds to the owners manual, often filling in information the manual only glosses over. Because of that, the owners manual often comes in second when I reach for a book to look something up. The Magic Lantern Guide, combined with a good, comprehensive, book on general photography, will really set you on your way. More advanced photographers may want to skip over the general photography book and focus on books covering their specific photo interests instead. Regardless, the Magic Lantern Guide is recommended to all.

stewart
11-04-2007, 01:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I haven't looked at it, but I have a hard time imagining what I'd use it for. I pretty much understand everything in the manual, and the things I don't know about (like the K100D's scene modes in specific detail) I think know one outside of Pentax engineers actually knows.

Can you give an example of something you found useful in the book?

And since you say it continues to be useful, what do you keep coming back for?

Thanks!
11-04-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm not here to sell the book, but anything I say further is certainly going to sound like that. Regardless, as I said, the Magic Lantern Guide adds to the owners manual, filling in information the manual typically glosses over. In fact, there doesn't appear to be anything in the owners manual the book does not expand on in some manner. For example, in addition to explaining white balance throughout the book as it applies to specific aspects of the camera (as the manual does in a more limited manner), the K10D version (again, don't own the K100D Super) also offers an overall discussion of white balance including how it works, AWB, WB presets, digital preview of WB, fine tuning WB, fine tuning feedback, creative uses of WB, manual WB, color temperature, WB bracketing, and more.

Nearly everything else in the book (metering, focusing, JPEG, RAW, histogram, in-camera processing, menus, flash, lenses, lens compatibility, and so on) receives this same combination of general and specific coverage. For example, the K10D version doesn't just tell you which lens type is or isn't compatible with the K10D, it also explains why a certain lens type is incompatible and, if possible, offers ways to get around that incompatibility. The book is reasonably comprehensive (21 pages on lenses in general, 34 pages on flash in general, etc) without being entirely overwhelming. Remember again this general coverage is in addition to explaining these things throughout the book as they apply.

I keep coming back to the book because it's a very handy reference to the camera. Compared to the manual, things are laid out in a more logical manner and the index is more indepth. Of course, since you understand the manual fully and don't need anything more, the book probably isn't of interest to you, Matt. However, I still say the less experienced OP will likely benefit from it significantly.

stewart

11-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Of course, since you understand the manual fully and don't need anything more, the book probably isn't of interest to you, Matt.
Hey, I'm not trying to say I'm smarter than anyone else. It's just that I don't usually get much from manuals, so I'm having trouble understanding the "more manual than the manual" concept. From what you say, it sounds like it could be very useful for a lot of people -- possibly even me.
11-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

LOL. I didn't mean for that sentence to suggest that, Matt. Instead, I was just trying to say the book may not satisfy you. And I wouldn't necessarily describe the book as more manual than the manual. Instead, it elaborates on the manual by providing additional information, background, and detail (much of which helped me more easily understand the things being discussed). That additional material may be useful to the OP (and me), but not necessarily you. Therefore, I would suggest you visually inspect the book yourself. But, when it comes to the OP ("completely new to the SLR world"), I would simply recommend the book.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 11-05-2007 at 12:22 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
11-04-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Magic Lantern Guide, and it is much more "in depth" than the Pentax manual, and at $19.99 well worth the price !!

11-04-2007, 08:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Has anyone seen both this and the (apparently self-published) book from k10dbook home ? I'd be interested in a comparison.

There's some sample material from the K100D version online at the k10dbook site, and I must honestly say I wasn't impressed. It reads like a more chatty version of the manual -- basically more fluff, less crunch. That's not necessarily a bad thing for readers who feel comforted by the longer and more informal style, but I'd really prefer to have solid technical details in as concise a form as is possible. I'm not reading a book like this for its own sake but as a means to an end.
11-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #9

I have the Magic Lantern for the K100D. Its far more interesting to read compared to the camera's manual, and IMO gives good information for a total newb (as I am) to DSLR photography.

I read mine from cover-to-cover in under a day. That might have been too fast. I should probably read it again.
11-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #10

Chris, it looks like you just joined the forum recently. If you are new to the camera and to SLR cameras, the book would be a good investment. Even if you outgrow it in a few months, it will have made your transition and learning curve that much more simple.

I bought the book about 6 months after I got the camera and received less use from it than if I bought it sooner. Even with that, there was useful information in there that helped me out.

Jeff
11-05-2007, 12:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I am going to be the first one to say that this book was pretty useless for me. As what stewart said, it was just a more detailed manual. I am not saying that I am an expert pro photographer because I am not. But if you understand the basics of photography, you won't find anything that you don't already know in the book.

If you are a complete noob to photography and have about $20 to spend on this book buy it because it will help. If you get this book, there is no need to read the manual, because this book will do a better job at it. But if you have some basics background with photography, spend your money on some other books.

BTW, I bought this book for $8 at amazon.com used.
11-05-2007, 01:20 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
I am going to be the first one to say that this book was pretty useless for me. As what stewart said, it was just a more detailed manual. I am not saying that I am an expert pro photographer because I am not. But if you understand the basics of photography, you won't find anything that you don't already know in the book.

If you are a complete noob to photography and have about $20 to spend on this book buy it because it will help. If you get this book, there is no need to read the manual, because this book will do a better job at it. But if you have some basics background with photography, spend your money on some other books.

BTW, I bought this book for $8 at amazon.com used.
That's basically what I was trying to say. You just said it better

The book essentially conveys the same information that the K100D manual does... it just does it in a more readable and palatable manner. The author adds in a few of his own "tips" if you will here are there.

But, for a complete newcomer to DSLRs and the K100D (like me) I found it quite useful in the very beginning.
11-05-2007, 08:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

This book has been (and continues to be) an absolute eye-opener. It's explained things to me far better than the manual (which I found to be dry and uninspiring). I think that most would benefit from it.
11-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Has anyone seen both this and the (apparently self-published) book from k10dbook home ? I'd be interested in a comparison.

There's some sample material from the K100D version online at the k10dbook site, and I must honestly say I wasn't impressed. It reads like a more chatty version of the manual -- basically more fluff, less crunch. That's not necessarily a bad thing for readers who feel comforted by the longer and more informal style, but I'd really prefer to have solid technical details in as concise a form as is possible. I'm not reading a book like this for its own sake but as a means to an end.

I don't have the Magic Latern book, but I do have the K100D from the other site (Yvon Borque?), and it has been very helpful for me. I don't have anywhere near the knowledge and experience most of you have, so it did explain things for me in much greater detail than the manual.
11-05-2007, 06:50 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I have the k10D Magic lantern. I am always trying to expand my use of the k10D. I read through it when I got the book. But since I don't use every feature of the camera on a regular basis I go back and review when I want to try something new. The other day I wanted to try a multiple exposure. The manual had very little about setting this up but the book had a good section of setting it up. This book is not for someone that has had their camera or similar higher end camera for awhile and familiar with all the capability, but for newer users of just a reminder of how and when to push the capabilities of the camera. Some people just jump in and use their cameras without reading the manual. I like to read some (my profession is scientist so that might influence my learning style)