Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dave Hill is another commercial photographer who is a king of HDR...

You can see his amazing stuff at his website and they really are worth checking out.

05-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lots of exercise. I would guess about 3 to 5 hours a day!!
05-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Noob Quote
Gents, how can I learn how to be awesome in post processing like these people?
Will a reply from a female do?

Firstly you need to know what you want the end result to look like.

Secondly you need the pre-shutter technique to get the best starting material - exposure, depth of field, lighting etc.

Thirdly practise, practise, practise, plus research, research, research, plus some more practise, practise, practise.... If your PC grinds through Photoshop it will help if you upgrade it or get a new fast one, and it will also help if your screen is calibrated.

BTW I think the images you originally posted are also desaturated to quite a degree.
05-14-2011, 03:07 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also suspect a polariser has been used to control the highlights (look at the reflections from the pool water)

05-14-2011, 03:37 AM   #20
Forum Member

find the answer here
Joel Grimes - Take the mystery out of Lighting
05-14-2011, 04:20 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I believe some Dragan effects were used on those pictures, in addition to everything else. That's a post-processing technique.
05-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ahh, I wish I had Photoshop. I have Lightroom 3 at the moment... Saving up for Photoshop...

05-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I don't think looking at the model in shot number 3 will get boring or less interesting anytime soon

I don't really like how the top of her head is cropped out... imho
05-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wtf_cowboy Quote
I don't really like how the top of her head is cropped out... imho
I'm thinking unicorns disguised as super humans. However, I'd still go for # 5, horn or no horn.

That's the new look anyway of only shooting part of the head. It works great if your going bald, having a bad hair day and so on.
05-14-2011, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marinb Quote
I went to check out the site, but for the most part it just led to bootleg web sites to download what he charges @ $100.

I would love to see some of his methods, but I wouldn't want to rob the man of his income, and take the chance of getting a virus on my computer at the same time.

I'm sure in time, he'll either have it on Youtube, or someone else will offer the techniques up via Youtube as well.
05-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ahh, I wish I had Photoshop. I have Lightroom 3 at the moment... Saving up for Photoshop...
Did you know you could download a fully functional CS5 Creative Suite 30 day trial DVD from Adobe's website?

That might give you the big break you need to and allow you the time to learn how these images were achieved. Also, another way to get a break in acquiring Photoshop Extended is to purchase it through an educational partner. ie. if you yourself or a spouse or child are a registered students in a post secondary education institute, that qualifies you or them to buy Photoshop under student discount(usually more than 1/2 the price).

Hope this helps.
05-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dragan effects are pretty easy to produce however the use of broad and diffuse light sources is critical to really pull it off, light sources with high specularity do not really work with this effect at all. Here's a quick example of the effect, from image capture to posting on here, this image only took me 2 minutes to produce - and I used LR3 & CS5 there isn't any reason whey you can't do this effect in any other editing suite all you really need to know is how to use USM,Curves and Contrast masking techniques.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-10-2011 at 06:16 AM.
05-15-2011, 04:32 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
I went to check out the site, but for the most part it just led to bootleg web sites to download what he charges @ $100.

I would love to see some of his methods, but I wouldn't want to rob the man of his income, and take the chance of getting a virus on my computer at the same time.

I'm sure in time, he'll either have it on Youtube, or someone else will offer the techniques up via Youtube as well.
Yeah I am not a thief either, I wouldn't want people using my photographs for free and so I won't use his tutorial unless he makes it freely available.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Dragan effects are pretty easy to produce however the use of broad and diffuse light sources is critical to really pull it off, light sources with high specularity do not really work with this effect at all. Here's a quick example of the effect, from image capture to posting on here, this image only took me 2 minutes to produce - and I used LR3 & CS5 there isn't any reason whey you can't do this effect in any other editing suite all you really need to know is how to use USM,Curves and Contrast masking techniques.
You make the K-7 look really sexy!

The gimp annoys me because the tool bar disappears on my mac when I use a tool and then I have to grab it every time behind the main window... As for Photoshop I had a trial which expired, didn't get to use it really unfortunately.
05-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Yeah I am not a thief either, I wouldn't want people using my photographs for free and so I won't use his tutorial unless he makes it freely available.
Just wanted to be clear I didn't think Noob was a thief at all. The site had me fooled as well as it looks legit to download the series.
05-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

USM? Is that unsharp mask?

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
... all you really need to know is how to use USM,Curves and Contrast masking techniques.
USM? Is that unsharp mask?

Thanks