Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been shooting wedding for about ten years. 35mm, 120, and digital. There is a test you can take to see if you are the right "type" for wedding photography. The test is administered by a psychiatrist. Careful, scoring high on the test may get you committed.

I have actually moved away from wedding photography because of digital. Everyone has a DSLR now-a-days and most have shot at least one wedding. Nobody really values what an experienced photographer does. My advice, follow the advice already given and you will do fine. If you plan to commit yourself to wedding photography be prepared to be in competition with all the new digi-photogs that pop up every day.

11-10-2007, 11:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I have been shooting wedding for about ten years. 35mm, 120, and digital. There is a test you can take to see if you are the right "type" for wedding photography. The test is administered by a psychiatrist. Careful, scoring high on the test may get you committed.

I have actually moved away from wedding photography because of digital. Everyone has a DSLR now-a-days and most have shot at least one wedding. Nobody really values what an experienced photographer does. My advice, follow the advice already given and you will do fine. If you plan to commit yourself to wedding photography be prepared to be in competition with all the new digi-photogs that pop up every day.
I'll vouch for that! Let me see... out town has 20 wedding photographers in the phone book. Our camera store has about 40 or so more that aren't listed but own a rebel Xti so they are very qualified. Out of the bunch there are 3 good ones and 1 great one. The great one has been shooting her whole life and takes some breathtaking stuff.

I'm even shooting weddings, see what the digital age has done. I thought about making money doing weddings, which is very possible and after my first I've had enough requests to quit my day job, but won't because the works not always going to be there, but thats cause there aren't enough weddings to photographers ratio in this town. Heck I have three wedding photographers with S5IS's, Olympus Camedia's and a beat up old something or other I've never heard of nor care to hear about so how will I compete?

Everyone that walks in the door is a professional nowadays thanks to Canon and the shoot pictures in the zoo is art mentality.

My tip to you is if you're going to do this do your friggin best and don't settle for anything less. The world doesn't need another bad wedding photographer just like it doesn't need another nuclear battle. I'm not saying anyones work is bad, but what I am saying is set the bar higher and stay there and you'll succeed and make it so those punks with XTi's stay home and won't compete with you needlessly. I know I'm harsh with this, but the level of "art" in photography has dropped in the last year since I started shooting digital and even more so after working in the camera industry. I've become a critical person and find it's neccessary to keep peoples head of of the sky and let the people with true talent shine.

Don't be offended by any of this as it's not against you but actually a step to bring you forward. As long as you try your best and learn and continue to hone your trade you'll become a better photographer than the person next to you. You don't want to be that mediocre wedding photographer that I see every day or even worse the awful wedding photographer who has the best gear and thinks thats all photography is.

My only tip you I'm afraid and it almost sounds mean, but I think you'll understand it.
11-11-2007, 01:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just came back from a wedding shoot I did voluntarily for a friend. Let me tell you... wedding photography is not for the faint of heart. However, that being said, it can still be a lot of fun. Before one gets into it, here are some things I recommend:

1) Anticipation and reaction is key to getting good photos , even more so than having that $20 billion dollar F0.5 18-500mm zoom lens and 20 MP camera. Getting your camera and mind ready for the 'next' shot or a sudden moment will alow you capture a lot of good wedding photos. I made a 'shooting' plan and anticipated some of the events. This allowed me get some decent shots in today.

2) Know your equipment. If you're fumbling around with your equipment, you will miss shots. I spent many weeks practicing with my external flash to get bounce flash just about right and have a lot of usable pictures because of it.

3) Get the right equipment. I purchased the Pentax AF540FGZ and do not regret it one bit. An external flash unit is a MUST for wedding photography, *especially* indoors. I have a prime lens (DA 40mm Limited) that goes as low as F2.8, and that helped create some great photos.

4) Be creative, but also be responsible. I try to take as many pictures of all the important people that I can in the time that I've given (relatives, close friends, bride and groom [duh], brides maids and best men).

5) Most importantly, have fun and relax. Lots is going on during a wedding, and so you need to be focused and relaxed. Just take it easy, work with the constraints you have, and enjoy your product after.

After this wedding shoot, I'm planning to add a low F-stop wide angle lens. I use the 18-55mm zoom for those shots, but a prime would make for some excellent quality pictures. Zoom was not used often, but I think that I'll probably get an F2.8 100mm Prime or something like that... or a 70-200mm F2.8 zoom to cover that range. We'll see.

I believe that people can do wedding photography, but it takes a certain amount of grit, knowledge, prepation and creativity to do it right. This is all the more apparent when things can go wrong with equipment.

Last edited by dugrant153; 11-11-2007 at 01:23 AM.
11-11-2007, 02:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I think the only way I would commit to shoot a wedding for a friend would be if it were a friend I didn't mind losing. Assing up Bridezilla's Big Day won't win anybody any points, and there's nothing anybody can do to Bridezilla's standards.

I'd love to shoot at a wedding; but I'd want to do it casually or go as an assistant on a bunch of them before I would try something like being the main photographer for the event.

Of course, the last wedding I attended was my cousin's about 30 years ago. I managed to get married without the fuss and bother myself.

11-11-2007, 09:34 AM   #20

Fantastic... What a great way to experience the demands of Wedding Photography... You will have to post your findings and any tips and tricks you leart as well!

Make sure you have a good time doing the engagement... Great opertunities for nice candid shots... Have a go at Wide overhead shots as well they can produce interesting results...
11-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote

My tip to you is if you're going to do this do your friggin best and don't settle for anything less.
These are words worth carving in stone! Needless to say, this carries on to every aspect of the business. What would you think of a pro-photog who showcases his photos on his flicker account or on the website hosted on the home ISP account, with e-mail addresses such as joey69photography@myhomeaccount.hughescable.net? Or shows up to a shoot wearing jeans and a t-shirt?

How about the filter happy images thanks to Picasa/Elements/etc filter libraries. To make matters worse, the jpg quality on their websites is so horrible they look pixelated, or sized so small they're worthless.

QuoteQuote:
Everyone that walks in the door is a professional nowadays thanks to Canon and the shoot pictures in the zoo is art mentality.
Quite so, but while they concentrate on taking a picture of the monkey's butt, I'm the one trying to frame it so that it looks like it's smiling at me
11-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Hi Jim (jbrowning)

Well, judging by the varied responses you've received from the large number of contributors, you're probably wondering whether:

a) you're really cut out for this kind of thing or b) you've 'bitten-off' more than you can chew ?

Please click on the link below:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/97397-post5.html

Here's my advice, for what it's worth. I think it's absolutely essential to make it 'crystal clear' to the Bride & Groom
WELL in advance of the big occasion that you have never undertaken this kind of assignment before, yet nevertheless you will endeavour to do your very best for them. However the couple must equally understand that the huge responsibility that they have placed upon your shoulders is entirely theirs, in the unfortunate event that some of your pictures turn out less than perfect !
I obviously don't know the religious persuasion of the couple involved, because the pattern of events generally varies enormously between differing ceremonies.
I was recently asked to unofficially cover my niece's wedding, as their budget didn't stretch to affording a professional photographer. It was a Civil ceremony in a country hotel, but I'd never attempted such a thing before (being well into middle-age). However I had a fairly good idea of what to expect, having informally attended numerous weddings as a guest over the years.
If at all possible, I suggest that you contact a local wedding photographer in your immediate vicinity and ask if you can accompany them or possibly lend a hand. See how they operate and observe the order in which the photographs are taken before, during and after the ceremony at the reception etc. There will be an awful lot for you to take in, but when the time arrives for you to photograph your friend's wedding, you will be slightly better prepared for any situation that might crop up ! Also note that if you are relying on your DSLR's built-in flashgun, you'll need to remove the lens-hood (wide-angle shots), as it invariably casts an unwanted shadow at the bottom of each picture. I only made this mistake once, before I realised what was actually happening. Fortunately this occurred when there were no guests around to witness my slight embarrassment.......!!!
Arrive at the location well beforehand, in order to familiarise yourself with the layout of the building where the wedding is taking place. Ensure that you get full permission from the officiating priest to continue taking pictures throughout the ceremony. Discretion is advisable in this situation, as some vicars dislike intrusive photographers and may prove less than accommodating, so it's just as well to check out what IS and what is NOT allowed ! Be prepared for the signing of the wedding-register, as prevailing legislation might prevent you from taking photographs of the 'official' signing, so you may have to 'recreate' this shot immediately afterwards. It's most essential to photograph the 'exchange-of-rings', whilst not forgetting to take plenty of pictures of the precious wedding-cake, prior to capturing the actual 'cake-cutting' ceremony. Finally, always try to remain calm and composed, even if things start to go slightly awry.......it happens to the best of us !

Good luck & best wishes
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 11-12-2007 at 03:39 PM.
11-13-2007, 10:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Thank you for all the posts here folks. I really don't want to be the photographer at my oldest son's wedding in June. But I'm voted in because they can't afford to pay for a photographer. They both have said, "we know you can take good pics of us, you've done it before." Sigh.

I've been reading everything I can find on the subject. I've actually shot a wedding for a friend a few years ago with a sony mavica! They were poor too and weren't going to have anyone take photos (unless you counted the disposables set out on the tables). They were pleased with the photos I took, I thought they were horrid!!

I'm hoping with more experience under my belt, better camera technique and knowledge and a much better camera system that I'll do better on my son's wedding. It just seems so wrong for the grooms mom to be the wedding photographer!

Anyway, thank you all for your posts. It was helpful reading through them here.
11-13-2007, 11:54 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Thank you for all the posts here folks. I really don't want to be the photographer at my oldest son's wedding in June. But I'm voted in because they can't afford to pay for a photographer. They both have said, "we know you can take good pics of us, you've done it before." Sigh.

I've been reading everything I can find on the subject. I've actually shot a wedding for a friend a few years ago with a sony mavica! They were poor too and weren't going to have anyone take photos (unless you counted the disposables set out on the tables). They were pleased with the photos I took, I thought they were horrid!!

I'm hoping with more experience under my belt, better camera technique and knowledge and a much better camera system that I'll do better on my son's wedding. It just seems so wrong for the grooms mom to be the wedding photographer!

You're right. In a pinch somebody with some decent photo skills and a camera is always better than nothing, and you're also right about your conflicting roles. You should be able to focus on the day. It may not be YOUR day, but it is your day to celebrate and enjoy. It's far enough away that maybe you can do some networking and get a new friend for the day. Maybe even a fellow pentaxian from the forum living close enough to you??? I remember looking at the prints from the first wedding I was goaded into doing for friends that weren't gonna have a photog other wise. I too thought they looked horrid, they even asked about getting some blown-up, and I was thinking they would want to blow them all up with some carefully crafted explosives in the middle of a field perhaps with me along with them. I still don't know if they were being polite or not.
11-14-2007, 02:34 AM   #25
PDL
Pentaxian

OM Heavesn - do not do this

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote

Please find someone other than a mother to be the photographer at her son's wedding.

Shooting a wedding is a job not a "oh by the way mom - jump out and take picture of this". I agree with jnorth - some PentaxForums person should step up and cover this for a fellow member. How about we use this forum to find someone - If I were able to do it - get to meet LaRee and her closest people - I would lend a hand.

Come on people - man up - give LaRee a break to where she only has to be a mom.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
11-14-2007, 10:34 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Please find someone other than a mother to be the photographer at her son's wedding.

Shooting a wedding is a job not a "oh by the way mom - jump out and take picture of this". I agree with jnorth - some PentaxForums person should step up and cover this for a fellow member. How about we use this forum to find someone - If I were able to do it - get to meet LaRee and her closest people - I would lend a hand.

Come on people - man up - give LaRee a break to where she only has to be a mom.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
I know, it's not an ideal solution for me to photograph the wedding. I've resigned myself to the fact that the mother of the groom will not be in any of the group photos! Yeesh, I'm going to be working! My closest photography buddies are wildlife photographers and are not going to make the trip down to San Diego to help me out. I've already asked,
and I understand their position. I still love them anyway.

It is just going to be a very small ceremony and nothing fancy. Heck the *reception* is going to be in my sisters backyard! But it WILL be a good time with good people, even if I do have to work through the whole thing. It'll be ok, and it is what it is. I just hope I can manage some good photos.

Thanks for all the tips and help. I've found some good suggestions in your posts and will take them to heart.
11-15-2007, 04:25 AM   #27
Veteran Member

There must be somebody here from San Diego.

And remember, guys will do for 10 bucks worth of beer things that they would turn their noses up at if offered 10 bucks in cash.